BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Need opinion on rent price
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A salon owner needs a Nail Tech but I told her I could only work one day a week. She said no problem because she'll get another one for the other days. She's very nice and said I can be a sub contractor and to just pay her a monthly rent. When I asked her how much she stated she didn't know because she always had just hair salons so she told me to come up with a fair price and then we'll talk about it. She said the salon has been busy and people are always coming in asking about getting nails done so I should have no problem getting lots of clients. The salon is in N.C.

What price do you think I should say for a monthly rent if I were to work only 4 days a month not kowing yet what my income will be?
(08-22-2012, 04:10 PM)Monti Wrote: [ -> ]A salon owner needs a Nail Tech but I told her I could only work one day a week. She said no problem because she'll get another one for the other days. She's very nice and said I can be a sub contractor and to just pay her a monthly rent. When I asked her how much she stated she didn't know because she always had just hair salons so she told me to come up with a fair price and then we'll talk about it. She said the salon has been busy and people are always coming in asking about getting nails done so I should have no problem getting lots of clients. The salon is in N.C.

What price do you think I should say for a monthly rent if I were to work only 4 days a month not kowing yet what my income will be?

Based on 52 weeks per year I would count on 52 days, then divide by 12. That is unless she is willing to give up 3 weeks per year.

Does she not know what she would charge per week?
No, she's new at dealing with the Nail Tech side of things so we're going to see each other again next week and finalize what I thought I could pay ea. month.
It's really hard to say without knowing your service prices and other overhead you would be responsible to pay. If your service average is $30 the rent you could pay would be far different than if it were $60.

It also varies depending on costs where you are. When I was booth renting I paid $350 a month for 3 days a week. Some techs only pay $300 a month for 5 days a week... big difference based on cost of living in your area.
My rates are low due to keeping up with another salon near by and the people in our County will pay but so much. I charge $15 for a mani and $23.00 for a Pedi. Full acrylic $25 and Fill $15. I'll be an independent contractor so of course I pay for all my own supplies. I only pay her rent nothing else. Thanks for your info.
When I was renting I was charging 22 for a mani, 35-52 for pedi's, 60 for full sets and 35 for fills. Since your prices are roughly half what mine were, I would say 350/3 days that I worked = $116.66/month for one day of rent per week, divide in half for the price difference would be $58/month. That would be $13.38/day assuming you work 52 weeks per year.

I would love that, my overhead runs at over $10/hour! Smile

One thing, I would really take a look at who you are comparing your prices to, and if their salon and services are equivalent to what you will be offering. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you set up your pricing to be competitive with them. Our local discount shops advertises $25 for a full set and I think $12 for a fill - but I know if someone goes in and gets a glitter tip back fill with a gel top coat they end up paying $48!
(08-23-2012, 12:45 AM)CandiceAE Wrote: [ -> ]When I was renting I was charging 22 for a mani, 35-52 for pedi's, 60 for full sets and 35 for fills. Since your prices are roughly half what mine were, I would say 350/3 days that I worked = $116.66/month for one day of rent per week, divide in half for the price difference would be $58/month. That would be $13.38/day assuming you work 52 weeks per year.

I would love that, my overhead runs at over $10/hour! Smile

One thing, I would really take a look at who you are comparing your prices to, and if their salon and services are equivalent to what you will be offering. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you set up your pricing to be competitive with them. Our local discount shops advertise $25 for a full set and I think $12 for a fill - but I know if someone goes in and gets a glitter tip back fill with a gel top coat they end up paying $48!

Thanks for the replies. I feel I have something to work with now and will seriously think more about my prices.