BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: latex, gel polish, allergies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a new client who is allergic to latex. I would like to put gel polish on her. Have any of you had allergy issues with gel polish or latex? Maybe I should just not risk it, and use regular nail polish as she's had no isssues with that. Ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks
P.S. I would be using OPI or YN gel polish if you think that would make a difference.
Depending on the severity of her allergy, I might suggest, if she is agreeable, to do one nail and see if she reacts.. I can't say that I have heard and correlation between latex and "acrylates" allergic reactions, so chances are she may not have any reaction.
I have nitrile gloves on hand for the one client I have who's allergic to latex.
I did as Debbie suggested and did a single hard gel nail on a client who's allergic to acrylic. It went well, so I used gel and polished with sog.......BIG reaction!! She can wear reg. polish, reg. colored gel, but not acrylic or sog gel.
So, definitely do a test nail of reg. gel first, if there's no reaction try the sog next.
Donna, I am sure you know this but I'll say it for those who might not..

In very base terms, gel is pre-mixed, partially cured acrylic in a gel like state.

If allergic to acrylic, the chances are very high she will be allergic and react quick and strong with almost any flavor gel product.

If she had no reaction with just hard gel, but had a reaction with the hard topped with SOG, I would not be convinced it was the SOG just yet.
(08-20-2012, 09:44 PM)BeautyTech.com Wrote: [ -> ]Donna, I am sure you know this but I'll say it for those who might not..

In very base terms, gel is pre-mixed, partially cured acrylic in a gel like state.

If allergic to acrylic, the chances are very high she will be allergic and react quick and strong with almost any flavor gel product.

If she had no reaction with just hard gel, but had a reaction with the hard topped with SOG, I would not be convinced it was the SOG just yet.

I know! That's what makes this so weird. The only thing I did different was use the sog. If I mix pigments with the hard gel, no problem, reg. polish, no problem but she flairs up big time with the sog. She's 'gun shy' now about anything acrylic or sog so as long as she's happy with the way things are, we'll go with that.

Donna I am going to have to assume that SOG has an ingredient that helps hold the color that the other products do not have.. I'll have Doug jump in on this one, can you add what brands you use specifically??