BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Am I charging enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The salon I worked for closed down in January of this year, but I opened my own nail boutique about two years ago, because their were rumors that we were going to shut down.
So now I am in my own nail boutique full time. The area I live have 40,000- 400,000 dollar homes. My target group are professional men and women in their 30's and above. (although I will service anyone) At this point everyone wants to save as much as possible are my prices are too low?
Here's what I charge.
Basic Manicures are 18.00, basic pedicures are 25.00, shellac manicures are 28.00, and shellac pedicures are 50.00.
45 minutes for manicures and 1 hour for my pedicures.
I don't do artificials but I am thinking I will start, if I do I will do gels...how much do you guys charge for a full set and a rebalance of gels?

A little long winded LOL.... but help!!!!
I think your target group will be the key to your success. My target group is working women and retired women, both who want and need to keep their hands looking nice.

Your prices sound good, but you mentioned 45 min. for mani's and 1 hr. for pedi's....is that for the basic stuff or for the shellac services? IMO, the basic mani should only take 15 min., the basic pedi, 30 min. Shellac mani's, 30 min. I charge $43 for a delux pedi that comes with callus treatment, sugar scrub, and paraffin and it takes an hr. I rarely have a call for sog services on toes. If I did, I'd add $10 to the price.
IMO pricing should always come from your cost. What's your overhead? How many service hours per month can you work? Divide overhead by service hours, now you know your hourly overhead cost - everything not directly service related, including licensing, insurance, coffee... (For instance, if your overhead is 1,000/mo and you can work 40 hours per week, I would divide the $1,000 by 34 hours per week, or 136 hours/month - which allows for being 85% booked 48 weeks per year - hourly overhead would be $7.35) Then, what are your supply costs? How about wear and tear on equipment and replacing bulbs? Advertising, credit card fees, etc. Once you know your hourly overhead and service costs, factor in what you should be making an hour. Then, once you have a target number, look around you and see what other prices are.

While it is good to view pricing in comparison with your local competitors, bottom line you have to be profitable. My pricing is considerably higher than a walk in salon, which is most of what my local "competition" is. Of course, the atmosphere and service level that I offer is not the same that they would get elsewhere. I charge $25 for a basic mani (30 min), $42 for a pedi (60 min), $70 for a spa pedi (75 min), 36 for sog. I charge $74 for a full set and fills range from 40-57. You can see my full menu on my website. HTH!
I think your prices are good. However i would shorten your services for a cpl of things. Your basic mani i wldnt go over 20-30 mins...and same with the basic pedi. If u r anytg like me i hate to do a halfway job and it irritates me to death to not do a service completely. But "basic" services are just that. If they want a more thorough service--+ they can pay for it.
You just gotta get the basic steps down and not stray from them. File&shape....cuticles???....buff...scrub and quick application of lotion. ....30 mins tops....
Hope this helps..but your time is money and dot give away services and cut yourself short..i know it may be hard-- but its worth it in the end!! Smile
Oops! $60 for a spa pedi. Wishful thinking Smile
Yes the services include everything. File shape, cuticles, callus treatment, message,lotion...yeah it usually take about 60 minutes to be exact, but my manicures are 45 minutes....I been doing nails for 9 years and I just cannot do a mani in 30 min. It's just not my best work. So do I charge more for a mani...it would you keep it the same......by the way none of my clients get regular polish anymore.....they are all on shellac toes and fingers.
Candice your rates are similiar to what we used to charge at the salon I worked at. but I there's no way I can charge that where I am.... the services I provide at my own salon is the same as when I worked at Mario's, but I am trying to be competitive even though I know I do a better job....maybe when my target people realize I am opened for business I can charge a little more

Candice your rates are similiar to what we used to charge at the salon I worked at. but I there's no way I can charge that where I am.... the services I provide at my own salon is the same as when I worked at Mario's, but I am trying to be competitive even though I know I do a better job....maybe when my target people realize I am opened for business I can charge a little more

I charge 40 for a reg ped ,file,shape ,cuticles,callus,scrubs, message and lotion with reg polish 55 for Opi gel polish ,65 for pink and white Opi gel polish. I do mostly overlays for nails at 40.00 gel fills 30... Would like to go up but don't believe I could .I would love to get 74.00 for a full set
Here's some guidance about calculating your prices:
http://www.nwstylist.com/columns/2011/03...nsion.html
(08-18-2012, 11:00 AM)PrecisionNails Wrote: [ -> ]Here's some guidance about calculating your prices:
http://www.nwstylist.com/columns/2011/03...nsion.html

This is very well presented information and is pretty close to what I do, except I don't do the $1/minute, instead I use an hourly rate and a pro-rated overhead expense (since I know my overhead and how many hours I can devote to services each month) and charge them to the service based on service time.

I had a lengthy conversation with a local booth renter yesterday and mentioned to her that when you are looking at actual service times available you have to work backwards from how many hours a week you will work in total - including opening, closing, bookwork, cleaning, ordering supplies, checking in product... so as a salon owner I want to work 40 hours a week (ha ha), with 6 hours going to salon management/maintenance, which leaves me 34 hours for services - since it's almost impossible to book 100% I use 85% of the 34 hours as my available service times for pro-ration. So that's about 29 hours a week available for services, if overhead is $1,000/mo, then the overhead cost for services would be $8.62/hr. That assumes working 48 weeks per year for vacation days and sick days. Again I'll say "ha ha" because we know we don't get that! Smile
I wil look up that website. Thanks for all of your help.
This thread had a lot of great info guys! Thanks Smile