BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Product suggestions for problem lifter??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

SWIBeauty

One of my clients can't keep gel on her nails anymore, she was fine for a long time, but now her nails have gotten quite thin and weak. We have not had any product on them for two months now, they are growing out but her nails are still just coming in thinner and I'm afraid to use the same product on her and mess up our chances of success.
Is there a specific gel line anyone here has found to be more effective and longer lasting on problem lifters/ thin nails?
I'm at a loss and really want to be able to provide what my client wants, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BornToBling

I don't know if you have tried this yet (or if it will help) so I'll just throw it out there:

When I have a client that is a problem lifter I put some acrylic primer on their nails after dehydration. That usually keeps them from lifting for me. If they are really oily nail plates then I double prime and dehydrate...

SWIBeauty

I don't think with her that it is the oil in her nails so much as the lack of keratin, some of the nails just pop right off, she is the only one I have that this happens to. I have used protein bond and linkage on her, I just have a feeling that the gel I'm using isn't for her. I have seen other techs mention that some gels are better for some people and switching over has really made all the difference, I just can't find any of those posts now,lol. :roll:
Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll keep acrylic primer in mind for my oily clients!

SWIBeauty

I know it is mostly personal preference in most cases, but I would still love opinions on gel lines that seem to work best for you...anyone? Smile
You could try the Amore Pink Builder. It is designed to help problem lifters.

Also, try the Nubar Step 1 & 2.

SWIBeauty

Amore, do they have a site? I have never heard of them, do you use this gel in particular? And do they have a clear that works like the pink? Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it, and I have nubar step one and two, I am planning on trying that since seeing your set that was 12 weeks grown out, that was crazy! Is it typical that your customers have no lifting whatsoever?
I have to use acrylic on the clients that I have that have very thin nails that gel want stay on
Try some Linkage from tuffenuffnails.com
It's helped a lot of people with problem lifters.
Works with ANY gel or acrylic system.
I changed my prep a littlle bit. I take a cone bit and after I have pushed back the cuticle I go around the cuticle with the cone bit on low and then use a med. sanding band to take the shine off the nail. Then cleanse the nail and then use either linkage or protein bond. I have had better success using that cone bit because it gets that extra "invisible" cuticle.

If that doesn't work, and I have had this problem with my own mother, I had to switch my mom to Gelish and keep her nails manicured. Still using the cone bit on low around the cuticle and she seems to be handling this a lot better.

Hope this helps.
SWIBeauty :
> Amore, do they have a site? I have never heard of them, do you use this gel
> in particular? And do they have a clear that works like the pink? Thanks for
> the suggestions, I'll look into it, and I have nubar step one and two, I am
> planning on trying that since seeing your set that was 12 weeks grown out,
> that was crazy! Is it typical that your customers have no lifting whatsoever?

Yes, their site is http://www.amoreinternational.com. Please contact Bonnie and they would be happy to send you samples at no charge of whatever you would like to try. Smile You just pay the shipping!

Yes, it's typical my clients don't have any lifting but that 12 weeks was crazy! LOL

They do have a clear gel as well but the translucent pink builder is specifically designed to help with problem lifters. Although, I don't use it (I use everything else!) and never have any lifting.

Just let me know if you have any other questions.

tracisnails

Hi Brenda,

I have never used Linkage before. I went to your website and read up on it. You would just put it on after the primer or in lieu of? I am very interested in this because my mother and sister are my only lifters and it has been very frustrating. My sister is a hair dresser also so her hands are always in water.

Thanks )

TuffEnuffNails.com
> Try some Linkage from tuffenuffnails.com
> It's helped a lot of people with problem lifters.
> Works with ANY gel or acrylic system.
Linkage is the primer. I have 2 hair dressers as clients and they never have any lifting. I use the diamond shine top coat on them and hair color doesn't stain their nails.
The solution I use to cleans the nails is 99% alcohol mixed 50/50 with pure acetone.
I have had heard some techs have lifting when they use scrub fresh.

tracisnails

Oh ok thanks! ) I will have to try it out and pass the word!
I prep really well, apply Gelish's base coat really thin and scrubbed in, cure, and then use Amore's line of gel. This has worked for me with my problem lady and on myself!!

SWIBeauty

Kristibell, why do you use the gelish base? Was it lifting for you without a base gel?
SWIBeauty: Good morning! When Gelish first came out and many of my clients jumped on the band wagon to see what it was all about, the one thing that stood out to me time after time, was how perfectly "stuck" the Gelish base coat remained. There was no "crumbling" or lifting anywhere (I choose to file off, not soak). So I thought I would try it as a base coat with my regular hard gels -- and got the same wonderful results.

With whatever line I'm using I would use the manufacturer's base or bonder gel, and would always have those couple problem lifter clients (myself included!). Once I started using Gelish's base coat, applied thin and "scrubbed" in, I've had almost no problems.

I have read and Sam Biddle has explained that when the first coat of gel on the natural nail is applied very thin and "scrubbed" in, it creates a very solid bond with the natural nail, and gives you a good foundation to build upon. So it may be that this thin and "scrubbed" in base layer method is what's giving me the good results, but I haven't taken the time to try it with anything other than the Gelish base.

Sorry so long! HTH!
Your client probably needs a biotin supplement, it will take a few months but it will make a huge difference since you said she's getting progressively worse without any product Smile any health food store will carry it, and I believe costco does as well (i think you have those in BC). It won't hurt and if nothing else she'll have phenomenal skin and hair!

I think I must have some of this "linkage" stuff that everyone loves...it sounds fantabulous.
I was going to mention it but since Kristi Bell has already, I will second the Gelish base. Actually any SOG base works extremely well on lifters. If you have some of it kicking around, give it a try.

As for her nails being thin, lack of keratin etc - that sounds like they may have been overfiled during prep. Maybe you want to put her in something like Gelish for now and see how that works for her, give her nails a chance to recover. Just a suggestion Smile

SWIBeauty

I will try and get my hands on some gelish base and try that out, I actually had told her about a biotin supplement in September and she has been taking it. Her nails actually were getting thinner when the product would come right off and she admitted recently that when she noticed lifting she would pick until they came off, which makes sense that her nails are so thin now! I just need to figure out how to prevent the lifting completely in the first place. I am going to get an L.E light and sell my akzentz light, I'll get more TEN and see how that does and try to fnd some gelish base here in Canada.
Thanks ladies, I'll let you know how it's goingSmile
Good luck Big Grin
It may not be you or your product; has your client had a complete check-up recently? Thyroid problems come to mind . . .

SWIBeauty

Hm, interesting I'll ask her, thyroid can affect nail strength?
Will the SOG base technique work with acrylic as a primer too?