BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Acrylic/Gel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok I have had numerous people ask do I do Gel nails. But when I look at their nails they clearly look like acrylic. When I ask them did they place thier hands under a light they say no. So I'm thinking and how are these gels? Did I miss a new Super Gel that came out that you don't have to cure? Or is it what I'm thinking? That these people are being lied to saying they're getting gels when they are indeed acrylics?
plain and simple yes, they are being lied to.. it could be as unassuming as acrylic with a gel topcoat, it could be acrylic with a polish type of top coat.. my step-mother insisted she was getting gels at the new place she went to (ignoring my recommendations) and I pulled out a pot of gel.. "if the stuff doesnt look like this then sitting under the lamp is doing nothing but giving your fingers a tanning session.."

The old bait n switch...they get u in the door with the cheapness ,then u are at their mercy and get what u get...and get charged a lot more than whats on the window....If I ever tried this with my people ,not that I would ,I am far too honest ,I would probably get a slap ,lol.....
Ahhhh, I know you're being tongue in cheek, but... perpetuating popular misinformation... you can't get a tan from the UV lights in the short service time because it's the wrong UV ray and lamp set-up.
Candice.. yes I know and sometimes people dont get my humor Smile That comment goes way back on the nailtech mailing list where someone called the lamp "the Barbie tanning bed". With the step-mother, the humor was lost and any technical explination would have been poo-poo'd anyway.. dad got a giggle out of it though Smile
I've heard of an acrylic/gel hybrid application could that be what your clients are talking about?
No they are being lied to. Happens all the time around here. I just dont understand how these salons are still so popular. I know the no appt thing is nice for ppl....but i hear complaints all the time about diff things...
So why are ppl still going to the walk-in places?? I just dont get it......
(07-27-2012, 12:31 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: [ -> ]Ahhhh, I know you're being tongue in cheek, but... perpetuating popular misinformation... you can't get a tan from the UV lights in the short service time because it's the wrong UV ray and lamp set-up.

I don't think you should be getting a tan from UV lamps full stop! :p
Some things never change! I still deal with people telling me that they get solar nails and that is better than acrylic for your nails! Some people never learn or listen!
(08-06-2012, 03:38 PM)Sapphire Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-27-2012, 12:31 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: [ -> ]Ahhhh, I know you're being tongue in cheek, but... perpetuating popular misinformation... you can't get a tan from the UV lights in the short service time because it's the wrong UV ray and lamp set-up.

I don't think you should be getting a tan from UV lamps full stop! :p

True story.