BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: What are S&S nails??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some of my students have gone to a local non-standard salon and had done S&S nails. They told me they are healthier and they dip them in powder. I have heard of the process but never heard it called S&S nails. Anyone have any info? Thanks
From my experience, lots of the chop shops come up with a new name for L&P, convince the clients that it's better for them, healthier, etc and charge them more for it, when it's just the same old liquid and powder.

I haven't heard of S&S nails, but I'd be willing to bet it's a scam.
Thanks Sherrie thats what I was thinking too but I thought I would check with my fellow professionals. I read Nails mag and Nail Pro on a regular basis and don't recall ever coming across it.
It's a dipping system. No liquid.

It's not S&S. It's SNS, the name of the company who's aggressively marketing this product. Please google and youtube it.
Just watched the video on YouTube. This is very similar to a product Elegant Glass/ Simply Elegant came out with maybe 8 years ago. Really nothing new. BTW EG's was a good product. I think they still have it.

Alston

I hv a friend that has the S's nails she lives n orlando. I don't think it's a scam
Yes, Signature Nail Systems is a scam. "helps our clients' nails grow out stronger and healthier by adding 5 different kind of Vitamins and Calcium." Right. Now explain to me how vitamins and calcium embedded in a plastic and sitting on top of keratin - one of the hardest natural substances and design to protect human flesh, is able to be absorbed into the body and make nails healthier.

http://signaturenailsystems.com/Home.html

Unfortunately, there are too many in our industry susceptible to gimmicks rather than learning their craft of making good nails in a reasonably short time.

Dip systems are as old as the hills. It's acrylic resin and an activator. You can't sculpt so the nails are as flat as a pancake. It's a quick and easy system for people with no talent or desire to style nails to suit their customers.
"Some of my students have gone to a local non-standard salon and had done S&S nails. They told me they are healthier"

Denise, what are you teaching these students? Don't you teach that all nail enhancements are essentially a form of acrylic plastic. How can applying plastic on top of a nail be healthy?

The most we as professionals can aim for is that we don't damage the natural nail, but any claim to promote thicker, more lustrous, faster growing nails is garbage. The only scientifically proven method to promote nail growth is to massage the nail matrix - by apply cuticle oil and rubbing well in for example - which increase the oxygenation in the blood to the matrix, and will make nails grow quicker. Thickness is genetic and can't be changed.

The gel/acrylic nails we apply can help strengthen weak nails or we can beautify poorly shaped nails, or add long lasting colour. That's it.
I have never heard of s&s nails. I am not going to judge it, but maybe someone is trying to brand a product that's all there is to it. But if the product does not work, then the product tanks.
(10-03-2014, 04:44 PM)Bob Wrote: [ -> ]Dip systems are as old as the hills. It's acrylic resin and an activator. You can't sculpt so the nails are as flat as a pancake. It's a quick and easy system for people with no talent or desire to style nails to suit their customers.

This is the great thing about education Smile Find a system, learn about, and then take their class. I have used a couple of different systems in the past, http://www.backscratchers.com/Product/List/2 being one of them. If the nails are flat as pancake, that is the nail tech to blame not the product. Any nail tech can learn how to build an apex, you just need the desire to learn and a good educator to teach you how Smile

I use SNS on my nails and I did see a difference in their health. I will begin by saying that yes, there is a cheaper variety called "Healthy nails" but SNS is actually manufactured in the US. I enjoy it because it is actually faster to remove than traditional acrylic and has little to no odor. I find it faster and more efficient to use, although I will say that based upon your clients daily nail care/wear/abuse, it will determine how thick/thin you want it. As for the vitamins, I can't actually say how the nail absorbs them, although I know the vitamins are in their base gel (as they call it) and SNS is not the first nail system to boast vitamins in their product. Based on my usage of SNS, which has been for close to a year now, I did see an improvement of health in my nails. I have a hormone deficiency that makes my nails very thin, and after using the SNS system for a few months it did increase the strength and health of the new growth as opposed to using acrylic. It was strong enough to last through my everyday life, which included a job unloading a truck and stocking shelves in retail. I do not at all believe it to be a scam; as another poster said about knowing someone who used it in Florida, it is actually quite prominent there. I agree with other posters to look them up and see what they are about, watch their tutorials on youtube, and then see what you think. If you want to know more, see if someone in your area uses it and go pick their brains, or maybe even have a set done on you.
I just had the S&S nail process used on my badly damaged nails yesterday. I have used acrylic and gel nails for many years. After wearing for 6 months I seem to become allergic to something in the chemicals or process and my finger tips blister by the cuticle a day after a fill. We have tried eliminating certain elements of the fill process in an effort to single out the element I am having a reaction to. We end up taking off the nails, waiting a month or so and start again. WhenI don't have artificial nails on, my natural nails are very thin and split vertically into my nail bed. When I start again with acrylic or gel nails, the application creates a great burning sensation when I get the product on and also go under the UV light. With the S&S technique of liquid brushed on the nail, nail dipped lightly in the powder and it repeated several times, there was absolutely no burning during the process and my nails are put under an LED light. It creates a very thin but strong artificial nail that looks even more natural than gel and certainly better than the thick acrylics. Yes, it was expensive (but not more than $20 more than I have paid for new set of gel nails)RolleyesRolleyes and I don't know if this is just for the first set or will it be more for fills. Yes, I was told it had nutrients for my natural nail, and I have also been told that gel nails let your natural nails "breathe" and acrylics don't. I did look at the ingredients in the powder used in S&S and it has a very short number of chemicals and one of them does include the word acrylic in it, so for all I know this is the same acrylic powder used for regular acrylic applications - it is not combined with a liquid though - it sticks to some type of product that looks like clear nail polish but thinner and tech said it was not glue. I'll repost after I have had a fill and see what is involved and cost and in 6 months to see if I get an allergic reaction. Just for what it is worth.
This is the gel base ingredient

ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate
Ethyl cyanoacrylate

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ethyl cyanoacrylate

Structural formula of ethyl cyanoacrylate
Ball-and-stick model of the ethyl cyanoacrylate molecule

Names

IUPAC name
ethyl 2-cyanopropenoate

Production[edit]

Ethyl cyanoacrylate is prepared by the condensation of formaldehyde with ethyl cyanoacetate

Ethyl cyanoacrylate (ECA), a cyanoacrylate ester, is an ethyl ester of 2-cyano-2-propenoic acid. It is a colorless liquid with low viscosity. It is the main component of cyanoacrylate glues and can be encountered under many trade names. Super glue and Krazy glue are believed to be ECA.[1] It is soluble in acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, nitromethane, and methylene chloride.[2] ECA polymerizes rapidly in presence of moisture.