BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Soaking vs. Wrapping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which method do you girls think is fastest,and most effective for removing gel polishes ,such as Gelish and OPI Gelcolor : soaking in acetone and a bit of cuticle oil ,or cotton pad and foil ?
I use foil and acetone. Most of my gelish clients arent changing colors much so I back fill one or twice and then soak off. Takes about 15-20 to soak off if i've backfilled.
I used to have my clients soak in a bowl, but it was drying their skin out even with the cuticle oil and I just don't think it's a great idea to have their fingers soaking in acetone every two weeks. I'm not sure how much of that is being absorbed and getting into their system.

So I switched to the cotton and foil method and it works great. It takes about the same amount of time as if they were soaking and my clients actually prefer it.
I think cotton and foil are more effective because the clients body heat speeds the process up a bit.
I use OPI nail polish remover with the remover wraps. It has emollients in it that does not leave the nail dry.
Until now I have been soaking...I tried once the cotton-foil but didn't work but I think it was because we didn't leave it for 15min but less and saw it wasn't coming of so we went back to saoking...Sad or maybee I used to much cotton and less acetone...I really want to try again because as said above it dries out the skin, plus you waste more acetone while soaking...I will try with remover wraps again and see how it goes...
I sincerely HATE soaking them ,but after trying every method out there ,my ultrasonic soaker seems to knock a ton of time off my service...my ladirs seem so far, since I have returned to this method ,to prefer it. I hate the mess ,meaning extra acetone , and waste, but I guess ,if they are happy ,so am I...as far as dryness ,I put oil in the acetone ,and then apply cuticle oil and lotion after their service.
Yes, I know I kind of answered my own question there ,but I really value all the input I get from you all ,it is VERY helpful to me ,and I appreciate it all so much ! Smile
I have an ultrasonic soaker also but even that causes dryness and brittle nails, especially over time. I only use it for pedis now. As it was explained to me, when you use wraps/cotton-foil the acetone/remover is kept on the top layer (the most dense layer of nail. By soaking, you allow the acetone/remover to saturate both sides of the nails. Acetone is a powerful defatter and saturating the nails does damage them.

If you use Expert Touch, OPI is such a breeze to soak off with wraps/cotton-foil, I can't imagine why you'd do anything else. I use Graham Hands Down wraps and within ten minutes, it's completely off with very little pushing. If you have any problem, add a little heat; it makes a big difference.
Seems I might need to try Expert Touch because I used Acetone with cotton and foil to try and remove it and after 10 min., it was barely lifting the edges of the gp.
It depends on the product or top coat used. I use lint free wipes and pure acetone, wrap the nails, 10 min start removing the first finger wrapped. Now this is with Shellac base, color, and top. If I use any other or use Gelish top it off or other top coat then I file top coat, then do the above so more like 15+minutes with filing and all.
Someone told me to try the hands down nail wraps. And I find they work the best. I used to soak and it took too much time. I also use the OPI Gelcolor Base and Top Coat no matter what gel lacquer I use and all my gels come right off now in about 10 min. Best advice I received on this site.
I've just tried the new Vamoos adhesive backed sponges and I left them on 10 min. wrapped in foil, and still the stuff wasn't coming off. I used OPI base, Gelish color and Gelish topcoat.
(05-21-2012, 07:43 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: [ -> ]I've just tried the new Vamoos adhesive backed sponges and I left them on 10 min. wrapped in foil, and still the stuff wasn't coming off. I used OPI base, Gelish color and Gelish topcoat.

I do think that using Gelish color and TIO even with OPI base does make it harder to remove than using OPI base and top coats. I also find that wraps like CND and Graham which wrap around tightly work better, than cotton/foil, or Magi Wraps. I also don't buff when I apply or use primer. And heat really helps.
(05-21-2012, 07:43 PM)Donna in Huntsville, TX. Wrote: [ -> ]I've just tried the new Vamoos adhesive backed sponges and I left them on 10 min. wrapped in foil, and still the stuff wasn't coming off. I used OPI base, Gelish color and Gelish topcoat.

With Gelish Top coat its best to break the seal by lightly filing so the acetone can penetrate to lift in 10 min.
Removing my most recent set (opi base top and colour) I used a white buff block across the free edges (back and forth maybe five times) wrapped with acetone and opi remover pads under a towel and they removed in approx 10 mins. The second hand removed quicker than the first. I noticed the acetone caused dryness so I used cuticle oil after the service
(05-18-2012, 03:27 PM)Kristina Wrote: [ -> ]Until now I have been soaking...I tried once the cotton-foil but didn't work but I think it was because we didn't leave it for 15min but less and saw it wasn't coming of so we went back to saoking...Sad or maybee I used to much cotton and less acetone...I really want to try again because as said above it dries out the skin, plus you waste more acetone while soaking...I will try with remover wraps again and see how it goes...
I learnt from a friend to just pull off a tiny bit of cotton ball and soak it with acetone, and then wrap in foil. Don't use a WHOLE cotton ball per finger . . . like I have done - lol. It uses way too much acetone and doesn't remove the gel as well. A small piece of cotton ball saturates really well with just a tiny bit of acetone and is WAY more effective at removing the gel
I use makeup pads,the small round ones and then I even cut them in four or five pieces. I use a very little bit of the pad and soak it well with acetone, works for me in 10 minutes. I use Gelish and for the longest time I took shine off before soaking, now I do not and it works just as well. I just use my curette and lightly scrape off, no problems.
(05-18-2012, 03:27 PM)Kristina Wrote: [ -> ]Until now I have been soaking...I tried once the cotton-foil but didn't work but I think it was because we didn't leave it for 15min but less and saw it wasn't coming of so we went back to saoking...Sad or maybee I used to much cotton and less acetone...I really want to try again because as said above it dries out the skin, plus you waste more acetone while soaking...I will try with remover wraps again and see how it goes...

check out http://www.quicksoakbowl.com for soaking off nails
http://www.quicksoakbowl.com

Quicksoak Mfg

Doug been a while since we talked, Cord from Quicksoak Mfg. The manufacture of Quicksoak bowl that warms acetone to remove nails faster. Ok question, is there new info out there that acetone penetrates the skin while soaking nails. Which in turn is not good for clients.. Acetone has been used to soak nails forever never heard of anyone dying or getting sick. Would you clear this up for me as will as all nailtechs worldwide. Thanks Cord Fact or Fiction

Like · · See Friendship · Friday at 10:33pm ·

Doug Schoon
Acetone is one of the safest solvents nail professionals can use, other than water which is considered the "Universal Solvent" because it dissolves more things than any other substance. My book talks about the safety of acetone. Much of wh
at you hear about it is myth and misinformation. It seems like there's somebody against everything nowadays. For my point view, acetone is very safe and appropriate to use for nail applications. It sure is flammable, so handle with care. Also, excessive use can dry out the skin, but this can be addressed with a high quality hand lotion, etc.
Finally, remember that any time you soak your nails in anything, including water, the nail plates will become softer than normal for about an hour. Don't forcefully scrape the nail plate during this time, even with a wooden pusher. Use a gentle touch and never force any coating from the nail plate. This is a leading cause of those "white spots" seen on the nail when UV gel manicure coatings are removed.

Yesterday at 4:53pm · Like.

http://www.quicksoakbowl.com

Quicksoak Mfg

Doug been a while since we talked, Cord from Quicksoak Mfg. The manufacture of Quicksoak bowl that warms acetone to remove nails faster. Ok question, is there new info out there that acetone penetrates the skin while soaking nails. Which in turn is not good for clients.. Acetone has been used to soak nails forever never heard of anyone dying or getting sick. Would you clear this up for me as will as all nailtechs worldwide. Thanks Cord Fact or Fiction

Like · · See Friendship · Friday at 10:33pm ·

Doug Schoon
Acetone is one of the safest solvents nail professionals can use, other than water which is considered the "Universal Solvent" because it dissolves more things than any other substance. My book talks about the safety of acetone. Much of wh
at you hear about it is myth and misinformation. It seems like there's somebody against everything nowadays. For my point view, acetone is very safe and appropriate to use for nail applications. It sure is flammable, so handle with care. Also, excessive use can dry out the skin, but this can be addressed with a high quality hand lotion, etc.
Finally, remember that any time you soak your nails in anything, including water, the nail plates will become softer than normal for about an hour. Don't forcefully scrape the nail plate during this time, even with a wooden pusher. Use a gentle touch and never force any coating from the nail plate. This is a leading cause of those "white spots" seen on the nail when UV gel manicure coatings are removed.

Yesterday at 4:53pm · Like.

I too went back to the cotton/foil method. It saves money and i personally feel that my clients think its better than soaking in a bowl like the NSS do. It sets me apart and impresses them. When i do a gel manicure-- at the end of the service I always apply cuticle oil and do a hand/arm massage. I can still get all that done within an hour so it just makes it a bit more high end than the walk in places. Anytg to set us apart...plus its not as harsh as soaking in a whole bowl of acetone!!!Wink
Kelly, thanks for posting that article by Doug Schoon. I have been using acetone forever , have had some of the same clients for twenty years ,and none of them have had problems from occasional soaking in acetone...I always add cuticle oil and follow up with lotion ,which in my opinion would be common sence...
I like the quick soak bowl for removal and have used it 3 times since I last posted. I break thru most of the product with my drill, then place the client's hand in the warmed acetone which has LOTS of oil in it. I start removing the product on the other hand while the first one is soaking. As soon as it's mostly released, I put the other hand on to soak. I file off any left over product, prep the nail and begin the new application while the second hand soaks. I can get all this done in 30 min.
That sounds like a great system ,Donna...Smile I will have to try it . I usually have both soaking....