BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Acrylic smell/fumes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
.....of course the best option is to have a well ventilated salon but if you are not in one, what is the best for absorbing those fumes? I do gels but will not be doing those 100% of the time. What about the Sunflower II. Is the Aerovex the only real choice? http://www.aerovexsystems.com/ The fumes are not bothering me but the owner of the salon I am in and may wind up being a deal breaker. Sad

The owner says it burns her eyes. I use one of the least fumey/smelly brands out there.

I don't believe the Valentino would be an option for me because is sits so high on the table Sad
I asked Doug Schoon personally about this - with all the devices out there that are supposed to remove the odours, he said it would have to have a 9 inch thick charcoal filter in order to work. Far as I know, there is nothing that exists like that. I think venting to the outside is about the only thing that works. I have the same problem - I work in my home studio. I do know how to work smartly with acrylic but it doesn't matter, it still permeates the house unless I have the window in my studio wide open. That only works in the warmer months. I wish I had better news.
(05-11-2012, 09:34 AM)scratchmyback Wrote: [ -> ]I asked Doug Schoon personally about this - with all the devices out there that are supposed to remove the odours, he said it would have to have a 9 inch thick charcoal filter in order to work. Far as I know, there is nothing that exists like that. I think venting to the outside is about the only thing that works. I have the same problem - I work in my home studio. I do know how to work smartly with acrylic but it doesn't matter, it still permeates the house unless I have the window in my studio wide open. That only works in the warmer months. I wish I had better news.

Thank you, that's what I was thinking too.
Yes, I use a disposable table towel to wipe my brush and discard it asap and wrap up the trash bag and discard it as well but, clean out the dappen dish and put away my brush too. Sad
There is a term I believe it is called olfactory exhaustion ,by which your nose ,or sence of smell ,after exposure to smells ,can't smell them after like 5 minutes of continuous exposure. Initially a smell is strongest at first exposure ,but after a short period ,you can't smell it anymore ,or it becomes very remote...check it out...And anyone who complains about the smell of acrylic ,and tolerates the smell of perms ? Really ? You're kidding ,right?
My shop was next to the neighborhood tobacco store, and we got the smoke odors all the time. A lot of their customers came in our door by mistake and would say shoo, this place stinks, bet you're gettin' high....we told them it smelled like money to us. But really, basically anything we tried just moved the odor to another location. We used a fan in the back door in the summer until it would get too hot, then we just lived with it.
All you have to do is open the jar and the vapors penetrate the space verily quickly. So no matter what precautions you are taking it isn't going to help. The vapors are still in the air and will remain there and over time will permeate walls, furniture, etc. The only solution is to use odorless products or move.

Sounds like the owner has some allergy to it if it's stinging her eyes.
This has been a long standing issue in salons that I have worked at.
there is no proper airway flow or vents to consume the odors.
Try to find a salon that has proper ventilation (if possible) or move.
Hey ladies ive been doing nails for 23 years and ive never found anythimg that worked to remove nail fumes until last year. its not cheap but it works . its called salon pure air. the unit cost about a thousand dollars and you have to replace the charcole in the unit about every 2-4 months depending on use, the unit is not very attractive it has a big hose that is placed right over your work area to suck up the vapors before they can fill the room. it also is awsome for removing the dust when filing. my clients can not believe the difference, and whenever my husband or any of our male clients come in to the shop they just cant get over that they cant smell the fumes. go to there website salonpureair.com. hope this helps. this machine is awsome
WOW karileegee, thanks for the website address. And thanks for sharing. That would be a dream come true for me....
I will work at purchasing this...AWESOME.