BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Gel polish has ruined me!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I haven't done a French with regular nail polish in forever. Today a client came in and wanted a French mani with regular polish. First I had to go searching for my bottle of white polish cuz I had no clue where it was. Then I polished on the pink and went to do the white and I could NOT remember how I used to do a French with regular polish! Besides that, the white hadn't been used in so long it was about as thick as glue. What a mess! I was fighting with it and getting frustrated and finally I just asked her if I could do it with gel polish and I wouldnt charge her the up charge?

She agreed and she loved them so hopefully next time she comes in she will pay the extra for the GP....but honestly I find myself asking more and more people if I can just do their French mani or pedi with GP cuz I HATE regular polish! I usually do the first time for no extra cost too.

Am I the only one who has been ruined (spoiled) by the ease of doing a French with GP??? I am seriously thinking of telling people if they want French they will have to pay the extra. I will no longer offer regular French polish!!!!
I know, I hate french with laquer! I used to love doing nail art with polish too, forget it now LOL

I think most people who just want regular polish don't want french anyway. They're going for more low maintenance.

I just keep buying new whites Smile Essie blanc has held up really nicely for me. And I like SpaRituals white too.

Maybe we should do it with paint? Idea
when i open i will not even put french manicure with reg. polish on the menu lol. if they want french that bad they will pay for the gel polish upgrade.
I hear you!!! I also have to stay very focused when using regular nail polish, as I forget it's not gel polish, and I will over-work it!
Interesting post and problem you have brought up. I find that my skills with using regular polish have helped in using gel polish. Haven't experienced any problems with doing it either way. Maybe it's because I still do a lot of regular polish because some of my clients want regular polish because they don't want to pay extra.

May I ask how it is any different in painting with regular polish versus gel polish? Cause I'm not understanding the difference.
Too funny... I just had one this week who wanted reg french... couldn't remember which drawer I put the "old" stuff in... we laughed! At least she laughed with me.
Luvglitter, I personally find it a lot easier to apply the french with polish because the white grl polish I have (Entity) tends to ''run'' even when I try to apply it as thin as I can!
(04-01-2012, 02:23 PM)Kristina Wrote: [ -> ]Luvglitter, I personally find it a lot easier to apply the french with polish because the white grl polish I have (Entity) tends to ''run'' even when I try to apply it as thin as I can!

Isn't the technique is the same, no matter what you use? Curious to know how it's different.
All gel polishes are not the same, some are more ''runny'' other have a thicker consistency.
(04-01-2012, 09:54 PM)Luvglitter Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2012, 02:23 PM)Kristina Wrote: [ -> ]Luvglitter, I personally find it a lot easier to apply the french with polish because the white grl polish I have (Entity) tends to ''run'' even when I try to apply it as thin as I can!

Isn't the technique is the same, no matter what you use? Curious to know how it's different.

Regular polish dries and gel polish doesn't, so you have more time to play with gel polish to perfect it before you cure it. I am also doing way more gel polish manicures than regular polish so I get what Colleen is saying !
Ahhhhh, yes, I forgot about that Scratch. Thank you for the insight. I so hope no one thought I was being critical, just didn't understand.
I find myself " sealing the free edge" and swiping a little back and forth when doing reg polish..lol...Smile
I cant remember the last time i used reg polish. LOL
Cindy
It would be awesome if they had technology tomake regular polish harden and stay shiny like gel polish does...or ,maybe I just wish now I had as many color choices in gel polish as I do in regular polish...love my Gelish ,Shellac ,and ,OPI Gelcolor, so glad I made the investment ,although they are sometimes a little frustrating on nat nails ...
Well with regular polish I put the pink on and wait til it dries a little, then the white and you have to really get the white perfect from the start cuz you can't swipe the smile line to make it pretty cuz if you do the pink smears... Then of course there's the drying time. Wait til the pink dries. Wait til the white dries. Wait til the top coat dries....
With gel polish I put on the pink and cure. I dry wipe the smile line area, this helps to keep the white from running. Then I apply the white as sloppily as I want and go back in to clean up the smile line and it's beautiful and it doesn't mess up the pink underneath.
It's so,much different than regular polish.
Thank you so much for explaining. That makes sense now that you have explained.
(04-05-2012, 06:09 PM)cindy3 Wrote: [ -> ]I cant remember the last time i used reg polish. LOL
Cindy

I just looked at your gallery and your work is beautiful~Makes me wish I was more artistic and creative! I was wondering if you would care to share what products you use?
(04-29-2012, 10:40 PM)VickiY Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2012, 06:09 PM)cindy3 Wrote: [ -> ]I cant remember the last time i used reg polish. LOL
Cindy

I just looked at your gallery and your work is beautiful~Makes me wish I was more artistic and creative! I was wondering if you would care to share what products you use?
Hi Vicky, Thank you so much for your nice compliment.Smile My product addictions are Akzents Gels...Love the cool pink cover and trilght and the aurura glitters. Young nails for my acrylic and Gelish polish. Any hand painting i use the plaid pants from Micheals and fimos for embedding and lots of glitter...lol The nail art is so much fun!
Cindy
(03-30-2012, 12:33 PM)kristibell Wrote: [ -> ]I hear you!!! I also have to stay very focused when using regular nail polish, as I forget it's not gel polish, and I will over-work it!

I did this on myself..Polished my nails and then proceeded to clean my station and was confused as why my table towels were sticking to my fingers. Totally spoiled rotten by GP

Right now, I'm using a Gelish white for french mani's. I'm finding I have to be very careful that it doesn't pool anywhere or it'll wrinkle and plus I'm not getting consistent coverage that way. I have to go back over it to make it really white. Is there a sog that I only need to apply one coat of?

What do you mean by "dry wipe"? I have tried using a gel brush dipped in alcohol (then dried) to clean up the smile line and the brush seems to dent the pink underneath it. I just try to get one good swipe with the brush but usually am off a little. I'm trying to find new ways to get that nice crisp smile line.
^^^ Try leaving a small, small amount of alcohol on your brush. Different products "move" differently, but this is what I do with my Shellac French-(Frenchs? Frenches? French's? That's a weird one). If I try to do it with a dry brush, it either wont budge enough or if it does, the line doesn't look smooth.
I use OPI gel color. Bubble Bath for the pink, one coat for natural looking, two for a more intense color. Alpine Snow for the white, one coat will do the job. I apply the pink, cure, then apply the white. I don't dry wipe the pink at all. I use a small brush and swipe the white after applying like someone mentioned above. I make sure I get the sides as high as they need to be then do a pretty deep smile line.
The OPI white is the best I've tried and I went thru a lot of them! One coat, not too thick or thin will do the job. You may need to go back and do a touch up to fill in a shadow or two but with practice, you'll be able to do all 10 with no touch ups.
I apply and cure my pink and then apply the white and try to wipe the white into a nice crisp line. It seems to 'mar' the pink underneath. I watched a video yesterday where a woman used brush cleaner instead of alcohol, dabbed the brush to get the excess out and wiped a nice smile line. I'm going to have to keep playing with different methods until I can get it perfected. I use the white very very thin so it doesn't bubble.