BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: SOGP/Very Bad White Spots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a client new to SOGP. So far we have done 5 applications of soak off polish to her nails, every two to three weeks. We have used polishes from various companies - Shellac, Gelish, Artistic Colour Gloss and Light Elegance P2.

Her natural nails are thin to start with, but we have had no problems up to this time. She has really enjoyed having polish that lasts. She is a professional working woman that appreciates looking good for work. She has been diligent about using cuticle oil at least once a day.

When we removed her gel polish this last time her nails immediately covered over completely with white spots - like a veil covering each and every nail. As a matter of fact, I had covered one nail with hard gel because it had broken, and when I removed that gel the nail under the hard gel was completely fine. Just the other nine nails were in horrble, horrible shape. I have never seen this happen. We have been using gel polishes since they have come out, and we are very careful to use only good quality products.

Would you think this is an allergic reaction to gel polish, or acetone? We did not reapply any gel polish to her nails.
I assume you did a regular manicure after? How did they look after you applied cuticle oil? And have you heard back from her to see if the white has diminished with continued cuticle oil use? It sounds like dehydration, since nothing else seems to have changed. It's probably good that she take a break from the sog for a bit, to let that moisture balance return. She might need to increase her use of oil to more than twice a day when she starts up again, though. What brand of cuticle oil does she use? Some brands penetrate better than others, which is something else to consider.
(03-27-2012, 01:59 AM)nailartist Wrote: [ -> ]I assume you did a regular manicure after? How did they look after you applied cuticle oil? And have you heard back from her to see if the white has diminished with continued cuticle oil use? It sounds like dehydration, since nothing else seems to have changed. It's probably good that she take a break from the sog for a bit, to let that moisture balance return. She might need to increase her use of oil to more than twice a day when she starts up again, though. What brand of cuticle oil does she use? Some brands penetrate better than others, which is something else to consider.

Yes, I did a very heavy moisturizing manicure with special serum gloves, and slathered the nails in cuticle oil. The nails only looked slightly less white when I finished her manicure. I have to say that this was really scary as to how bad her nails looked. I forgot to mention that she even had five fingers that each had a tiny sore on them. Like a small irritated bump or lesion. If this had happened to more than one person since I have been doing gel manicures, I would certainly be rethinking offering them.

She is coming in this week to get her hair cut, so I will get to see what has happened to her nails since then...
Her nails might not be able to handle sog. I've noticed that some of my clients are showing white patches, too. I've also had a client who's unable to wear them, she breaks out in a rash around her cuticles like she did when she wore acrylics. Most of my clients do very well on it, tho. I believe in the future, I will start basing with hard gel then continue with the sog to finish.
I have been using gelish for a couple of months now, my right hand is fine while the left has 3 fingers with bad spots on them. I think it's due to my pushing the product off although I don't believe I'm pushing harder. But right hand is stronger than left to right..... that is my conclusion. Clients who have been wearing them as long as I have are doing fine. I've always had more damage wearing soak off gel polishes than with traditional due to my biting them off and really prying to remove. Seriously I see it as it being my fault, if the right hand turns white then I may rethink it.
Well I polished my nails for a couple of days with regular polish and took them off this morning only to find the white spots nearly gone. I was stunned........in a good way!