BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: I wanted to do my nails at the dentist -- a history lesson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
yep, it's called alginate.
This is the most interesting thread I have read on a nail forum in ages. I knew some of it and it all makes me wonder how much those tools cost to the dentistry industry.

I know a local salon that actually tells their clients that they buy all their L&P from a dentistry wholesaler because it is so much cheaper. Of course the clients are unaware that this probably means MMA. Funny thing is that they are the most expensive salon around!
Glynis :
> This is the most interesting thread I have read on a nail forum in ages. I
> knew some of it and it all makes me wonder how much those tools cost to the
> dentistry industry.
>
> I know a local salon that actually tells their clients that they buy all their
> L&P from a dentistry wholesaler because it is so much cheaper. Of course
> the clients are unaware that this probably means MMA. Funny thing is that
> they are the most expensive salon around!

This is true. I remember talking with someone, I think my former boss, she told me she remembered using dental powders when she was in school and that when she was in school there were no plastic tips and paper wraps (Cig papers and clear coat is what she used) was a very popular service and oh washing cleints hair in the kitchen sink wasn't against rules and regs. How times have changed.
I had my second adjustment yesturday, might I add, Ouch! The tool of the day was what I call a rhinestone picker upper. I have Damon braces so they are not the traditional lig braces. My brackets have little doors that slides the arch wire in and out and she had to use that tool to help open the doors on the brackets and I couldn't see what the other new tool was cause she didn't put them on the table when she was done. Maybe one day I will just ask them if I can see all their tools :lol:
Had my third adjustment last week. After fussing so much about missed salon appointments, I went and forgot all about my own adjustment appointment. Urrgh! putting getting my braces off almost 3 weeks!!! Anywho, took my 5 year old with me, not such a bright idea.
Didn't get to see any impletement goodies at this appointment but was lucky enough to get elastics, those who haven't worn braces before, that is when they put little hooks on the arch wire so little rubber bands can hook to the bottom molars to the top teeth making it hard to open the jaw.
Needless to say it felt like my teeth were going to fall right out of my mouth, it felt like when I was a child, I tied a string around my loose tooth and to the door knob and slam the door, which never did work for me. I couldn't talk much the next day, where are the quiet cleints when I need them? I left the salon early for a couple of days. I feel much better now, don't even notice the elastics anymore, so much that I realized they had disappeared after eating dinner, and I don't remember taking them out????
Thats all for now, maybe I will see some fun stuff at my next visit and maybe be able to open my mouth to ask if I can see all their impletements.
I just recently quit working as a dental assistant. The actual impression is taken with alginate. Then the model is poured with either stone or plaster.
Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
salman :
> Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information.
> If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
>

PM function is disabled on this board. What kind of questions would you like to know about, nail/dental industry, braces, dental assistant?
Yea, I'd like to learn more, please don't private message. Post here so we can all learn.

muffin
Had my fourth adjustment today, except not really an adjustment at all, basically drove an hour to hear him say, "Your teeth are doing well." I had to ask him, "no new arch wires today," then he said, "No your done, you can get them off at your next appointment or the one after that." WOOHOOOO! I thought I had to wear these things for another 7 months, total 16 months, been in them for 9 months. My next appointment is Oct 31 so will update yous if I get them off.

Tools of the day: Ok no new tools used on me today but as I was sitting there waiting for the Othro to come vist me. I see this small container that looks like mini Q-tips but not Q-tips at all they were Micro brushes. I thought weird, I just ordered some more PreEtched tips and they sent me samples of some Micro Mops. They are the same! Thanks PreEtch, I do believe I will use my Micro Mops to clean in between my brackets! Just kidding.

Thats all for today's visit.

For those interested in braces I would suggest mine: http://www.damonbraces.com
Smile I always talk to dentists & their asistants about their products & techniques of filing being just like a professional nailtech! LOL! U R so right!

Blessings,
Brenda Lee
The liquid monomer that is illegal in most states well them nailz years ago were called procelian nails cuz they were made with dental acrylic which is what they made illegal many years ago...So yeah i went to dental school before nails and basically everything they used implements right down to products all the same thing.....Crazy Huh....Lol

Amy
A bit behind. October 31 was my 5th adjustment. I have this one tooth that wont behave, just wont move so I didn't get them taken off yet. The ortho moved two of my brackets. Tool of the day. A drill! Yeppers, looked just like ours. He used it to remove the old layer of glue so he could apply a new layer of glue to glue back on the brackets. Couldn't see the bit used but I promise I didn't feel a thing. Go back in a few weeks. I have about 4 more months to go, that is if this one tooth will behave and so far it still wont move. :evil:
So if I read and get this right...
Acrylic MMA based is used in peoples mouth and for eyeballs??
If so...why the big fuzz thats its so BAD when used on the nail...excuse me...nailplate??

Strange...right?
Laetitia :
> So if I read and get this right...
> Acrylic MMA based is used in peoples mouth and for eyeballs??
> If so...why the big fuzz thats its so BAD when used on the nail...excuse
> me...nailplate??
>
> Strange...right?

It's only harmful when in contact with living tissue. To my understanding, once it's dried it is not harmful.
I see I am 5 months behind my own post...

Today the braces came off!! The tool of the day. A mini tooth bit for his electric file to remove the cement that kepted on the brackets. It was so small but it did a great job. My teeth are straight and I'm loving my new smile!!!
Hi, my name is Claudia. And I want to talk to you guys about YsNailS....
what I've done with their product, it's awesome! I've never done something
like this is my whole life... it's super cool! I got my first nail perfect Wink
don't you think its fantastic?! The acrylic powers are incredible =]
They also have cool videos on their website and you can watch them
all for free. Videos like the one they have in their home page for example
http://www.ysnails.com/ and many others on youtube. See ya! Wink
Pages: 1 2