BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: fed up with acrylic/moving shops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i've got a double post today. first off I finally bit the bullet and i'm moving to a new shop march 15th. I just couldn't afford the rent where i was so this new shop is about the same as what i was in just wayyyy cheaper. so everybody pray for me, I sure could use it. I'm terrified but I feel its the right thing to do.
also I'm fed up with acrylic. I've been at this mess for 10 years and I still get frequent lifting. If I choose to not add acrylic services to my menu at the new shop how to I go about doing that? I do very little acrylic as it is but I don't want to lose new customers to lifting. Most all my acrylic customers are gel polish now so I don't think I'll be losing out, but when new people who have acrylic come in I don't want them to think i'm a crappy tech if it lifts. I've tried different brands and I guess its me, they all lift. I just had a client call with lifting on all her fingers Sad I fixed them all for free last week. This is so debilitating. I'm paying for my instructors test next week so I'm thinking about leaving the shop side of the industry and just keeping up what clients I have and teach 3/4 time.
Did you ever try Linkage? I totqlly SWEAR by this product. It changed my business. If you do great prep you'll never have lifting again.
hi well iknow what you mean cause i have had two this week that have lifted and it soul distroying, but i think where i went wrong it was applied it to thick but not on purpose its just some colours are gloopy, so now i am going to apply the gloopy colours and dry brush them off, i am determind to stick with it and so must you you sound much more experienced than me cause i have only been doing gels now for 20 months , tgc ro ro
I can't blame you. i can't stand doing acrylics. I love doing gels and love the art work. Good luck with the new place!
Moonkissed: I think you can specialize in doing Gel if you want. I only do Natural Nails and Gel enhancements. My Clients love them. I have a friend that does only acrylics and her clients love her work. We maybe going into a spot together and that will not hurt either one of use since we each have our own specialty. I do own some Acrylic in case I want to do 3d fun stuff, but most likely won't be doing sets with that.
(02-22-2012, 08:50 PM)JulieM Wrote: [ -> ]Moonkissed: I think you can specialize in doing Gel if you want. I only do Natural Nails and Gel enhancements. My Clients love them. I have a friend that does only acrylics and her clients love her work. We maybe going into a spot together and that will not hurt either one of use since we each have our own specialty. I do own some Acrylic in case I want to do 3d fun stuff, but most likely won't be doing sets with that.

OOPS this was meant for Cloudnine nails, sorry.
There's no reason to offer acrylic sets if you don't want to do them. i rarely do acrylic anymore, and if someone comes in with acrylic on , I prep as usual and fill them with gel, explaining the process to them as I go. It's a great way to educate the public about what the differencs are, too.
Can I just ask what your prep steps are? Maybe we can help you out with the lifting problems.
Good luck with the move, I'm sure it will all be for the best.

In regards to your lifting issues, you say you tried all brands but they all lift. I don't mean to sound harsh but it definitely sounds like something you are doing.
Sometimes we do things so auto pilot that we can't see where we are going wrong, have you thought of some up to date one on one training to trouble shoot? It could be your saving grace.
As already asked, if you want to list your exact prep steps and products, maybe we can help.
Considering you have tried so many different brands, do you mix your brands up at all, just to try and use up products? Or do you use whichever brands products as an entire system when you try new brands.
But in saying all this if you really don't want to continue to offer acrylics, you don't have to, as long as your other services can support the business financially, if they can't, then you should not cut acrylics out but instead find out what's really going wrong.
It really could be a simple thing you are either doing or not doing or a tool that's not working right or your primer is not good, it could be many things but trying to work this out is what's hard.
I really feel having some fresh eyes looking at your technique might make all the differenceSmile

Good luck sweetie.
There is no education or educators in my area. There are two shows close enough to attend but I will be competing in one and working a table at the other so Im not sure if I can Have time to attend a class. there is however an akzentz class at the show ill be working so Im considering that but its not til the end of June.

Yes i know its something Im doing but i Dont know what it could be. As far as prep goes, do cuticles clean nail, prep with file, scrub with scrub fresh, apply non-acid primer, apply product. I Dont know what to do differently. When i use gel it doesnt lift, only when i use acrylic go figure.
how close do you get to the cuticles when you apple your acrylic? if you are getting too close that will def cause lifting.
You know, prep is not always the culprit. Especially if were talking about an experienced tech just having problems with one system.

Mix ratio can have a lot to do with it. Also, you need to use a firm enough pressure. A lot of times I see people very timid around the cuticle area.

I agree, if you don't want to offer it, don't offer it. But if you've been at it for years, something tells me you want to master it.
Just had a look at your FB page, I can help you if you want it.
i'm careful to leave the proper margins. I used cnd for 9 years so I'm fairly familiar with the ratio aspect. However since I do so little acrylic, with their ever rising cost it just wasn't worth it to buy their products anymore. I had issues with Cnd as well.
In a way, yes I do want to master it because its been kickin my arse for 10 years but in a way I just want to throw in the towel. After 10 years if i dont have it what says i'll get it? I'm really looking forward to the akzentz class and i'm going to add new things to my menu like the konad and more gel polish colors. I just bought the magnetic polish today so i'm hoping to beef up my menu with fun stuff to help make up for not doing acrylic. I just got another call today for a full set and my stomach just turned Sad
If it's only happening with acrylic and you feel your prep work is ok and products are ok, then it does sound like technique.
Like I said, I do feel that over time as we get more experienced, we do get complacent with things and we don't really realise it, maybe you are not pressing your product on well enough around the cuticle area and instead maybe just pushing the product up, leaving your margin but not making sure that the product is well attached but because you have been doing it for so long, you don't even realise it.
That's why a fresh set of eyes might be a good thing.
Do you know any other experienced techs that are friends and could just watch you apply product and see if they see something? I'm not meaning to ask them for full on training, just a look over your shoulders for an opinion and maybe you could do this with a few techs (if you know this many that are as at least as experienced as you are).
I know it must be so frustrating for you and I can see why you want to give it up and in the end, if that is what your heart really wants to do, then no amount of help will change your mind.
Maybe you can drop it from your menu for now and then when you can find time/money for 1 to 1 training, then maybe then go do it.
I wish we all had the magic answer for you but we don't sadly.
I found the culprit with my acrylic lifting was overfiling at the sides and cuticle area when finish filing. Linkage has also saved me for my problem lifters and now use it on everyone. I am an acrylic only salon, so I definetly feel you can specialize but unfortunetly it means loosing some potential clients. But I also find people will go along with your knowledge and can be swayed with the product you use. I don't like working with gel and that is my preference and I feel if you are not comfortable working with a product don't,your clients deserve the best from you not just the ok I'll do it because you want. Good luck in whatever you choose :0)
I was in school and having trouble getting gel polish to stay on clients. I was doing the cuticle work, but I wasn't doing it thoroughly. Didn't find out exactly how meticulously it needed to be done until seeing a FingernailFixer video on cuticle work. She showed how much you could remove with an orangewood stick (some), then a metal pusher (a bit more), then the curet (where did all that skin come from, that clump is as big as a Skittle). I had no idea. I'd been using an orangewood stick and thought it was good enough. Now that I know how to what degree it must be done, every product is staying on much better and looks better. The same goes for capping. I thought a quick swipe right on the free edge was good enough, but you really do have to get a little under as well. Makes me wonder what else I'm neglecting, but it's impossible to know without physically seeing each step of a service performed flawlessly.