BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: questions to ask in a interview?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How is the compensation structured? Is there a product deduction/head
charge? Who pays for education? Bonuses? Health coverage? vacation/sick
pay? Employee reviews? Goal setting? Contests/rewards? Management
possibilities? In other words what are they going to do to help you build
YOUR career path? Where would you like to be in 3-5 years and can you get
there from this job?

Anonymous

Good Millie.

Im glad you posted this.
We should add....get it all in writing if possible.

Also: a few questions for you and your wisdom:

How to ask for raise, and when??
What to do if the owners are not willing to give raises??
Will non compete contracts really hold up in court?
When you are experienced, should you be expecting more money up front, or will you have to pay your dues just the same?

Please and thank you.
Best to ya... :wink:
How to ask for raise, and when??

Well, you should be keeping track of your numbers, even if the salon isn't. Keep a daily journal of service and retail dollars. When these increase on a consistent basis it's time. Also when you are "in demand" booked out at least 60-80% of the time.
What to do if the owners are not willing to give raises??

Gee good question. If the owners don't realize that fair compensation is the only way to retain good people all your ranting won't do a thing.
Will non compete contracts really hold up in court?

I'm not a lawyer but what I've heard is that if you really take it to the law, most companies have more money to fight it than lil' ol' you and me, and it will drain you financially before it holds up.

When you are experienced, should you be expecting more money up front, or will you have to pay your dues just the same?

This is a great question and one I am glad to answer from an owners perspective. Yes experience should give you initially more wage per hour, HOWEVER< once in the job you still have to prove yourself and show me the money! Owners cannot (usually) afford to pay for potential. If you have the skills you say, you will build.
Get conversational.....draw out information about what the salon is like (if you don't know them)
How long have they been in business?
Also...how often is the salon cleaned? What are you expected to clean/what do they clean?
Are there additional expenses... expected to contribute to holiday parties, gifts, cakes, client catering?.....replacement of salon equipment (a chair breaks...scratches on mani table....be clear about condition before starting.
Holiday schedule....extra days available to get clients in for big holidays?
Multiple employees...what is the new client apportionment policy? how is the new client traffic? ask to see appointment books if you need to build....it isn't inappropriate, screens out dishonest and "closing" shops.
How are disputes between workers handled? Are they open to new people? Or do they hassle them...
How is security/replacement for items stolen or damaged after hours handled? Will others expect to use your tools/polish/remover.....let their clients "borrow"...when you are not there or when you are working?
Children run lose and wild? What is the supervison policy and how seriously enforced.
Exactly how much space will you have to work in, what sink are you expected to use..what space to clean tools in, storage areas for supplies.
Ask about policies for workers alcohol and drugs at work...
What is the error rate for receptionists....(if not booking your own), how many of the employees are related to each other?
What is the owners birth sign?
Is the owner on anymood altering medication? should he/she be? ;-)
I'm sure there is more...

23 years in the business and I'm still surprised by factors I never thought of.
Wow. I've owned my dayspa for 8 years and WOW.
Do that many of you really have these kinds of problems?
Well, the on ly thing I can comment on is raises.
I dont give raises. I dont see how an employer can give raises in this profession. I pay $7.00 or 60% whatever is greater, if I took any less for the salon I'd be out of business.
I'd recommend asking what is the general style and preferences of the clients. That gives a clue as to what types of services you'd be doing the most.
Today I was doing a pedicure at one of my customer's houses when a local salon owner happen to stop by and she asked if I would like to do nails at her salon. She said their nail person left 6 months ago to Mississippi and hasn't returned and they really need someone, as they are turning people away everyday that call to get there nails done. We switched business cards and I told her I would call her. She said she has all the products and would pay 50% commission. Are there any salons that pay more than that? She said she pays more than most. I could start just a couple days a week. I have been working out of my home which does not keep me busy enough to work here everyday so I also have an office job a couple days a week which I could quit. I hear people on the board say get a contract. What are good things to have on a contract? Suggestions please.
how many costumers do you have
and want to attract good people. I'm offering 12.50/hour plus a 10% commission on any retail products sold. I am providing all supplies except their tools. Since there will be weekly staff meetings on sales coaching and one on one coaching for career path, I also am offering a retention bonus based on number of clients serviced/booked & sales.

Can anyone give me feedback - is this too much, not enough? I think that everyone needs to be rewarded for professionalism, hard work and loyalty.

Thanks in advance!