BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Considering hiring a new nail tech....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm coming upon my 1 year anniversary and things are going pretty well. Last week I had 5 new people try to get in that I couldn't fit, which has me thinking again about bringing in another tech as an employee.

Any tips on what to include in an interview? Questions, services, etc.

Any tips on what to watch for, employee policies, etc?

I have my commission structure worked out, I'm just wondering what the pitfalls are and how to avoid them!

Thanks!
The biggest, and potentially most expensive, pitfall is not compensating your employee correctly. Most "commission" salons would fail IRS/state tax/state labor board audits.
(02-10-2012, 10:35 AM)PrecisionNails Wrote: [ -> ]The biggest, and potentially most expensive, pitfall is not compensating your employee correctly. Most "commission" salons would fail IRS/state tax/state labor board audits.

That part I get - I am planning on paying minimum wage (9.07/hr here) plus tips, with a retail commission and a commission from 20-50% of services based on service totals.

To qualify for commission their service total will need to be above double the cost of minimum wage. So, if they work 30 hours minimum wage would be $272.10 so their service tickets for the week would need to be 544.20 and then they would get commission on the service dollars over that, in addition to their minimum wage.

There will be no IRS troubles in my salon! Rolleyes
I have not hired within this industry, but have hired and fired many in my "past life". I would think most of it would transfer over....here are a few thoughts.

The interview is just as much about the body language and non-verbal ques as it is about the answers to general questions. Things like dressing appropriately, having nails look nice, positive attitude, being on time, smiling, eye contact. You will see the tech the same way your client does so do they present themselves well?

The other things to ask is about their experience...what do they know? Why are they in the industry? Why are they leaving another job to come to you? You will be able to see their work in a practical interview later, but you are looking to weed out potential drama and trying to see if you can work together.

Finally, you are also a salesman. In my area nail techs have a choice in jobs. Why should he or she come work for you (advertising, general clean-up, answering phones, hours, does she supply her own things, are you passing off clients to them) What do you offer that is appealing to this person. Outline honestly what they should expect when walking in the door. Don't forget to give them a tour of the salon and allow them to see behind the scenes a bit. If you give them unrealistic expectations they will be here and gone (maybe with a few of your clients...).

hope this helps...

Great info! Thanks!
Candice, I think it is important as an employer to have a job description for the nail tech so there is complete understanding of what their job is.

I think you have the pay/commission down and correct with state and federal rules.

I think asking them what they expect and what their goals are is important.

I know you are up north and there are many good students coming out of Evergreen Beauty College, get in touch with Lauren Geller. She post job openings all the time and can also give you references on any that come from her school.

Good luck, glad you are growing so quickly!!!!
Thanks for the great info! I actually talked to Lauren yesterday, I just need to decide for sure I want to go this way, then I will email her if I decide to hire someone.
Candice your salon looks awesome! LOVE IT!, whoever you decide to hire will be a lucky nail tech.
This is off topic question may I know what kind of nail dust removing system are you using? I see that your hose is on top of your table.
Thank you! Smile.
(02-12-2012, 04:40 PM)ParkNails Wrote: [ -> ]This is off topic question may I know what kind of nail dust removing system are you using? I see that your hose is on top of your table.
Thank you! Smile.

Thanks! I have a Partigon attached to my e-file for gel toes at the pedi station, but at my manicure table I use the Salon Pure Air, as it handles the dust as well as odors. I highly recommend it - plus I have the alternative connection that allows me to run two hoses from it should I decide to bring in another tech, so we can both use the system.
try these threads in the sticky section.. they might help:
Tips for getting started as a Nail Professional
questions to ask in a interview?