BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: thinking of offering OPI Gel polish....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all!

I have been offering Shellac to my clients for over a year and they love it but wish for more color choices. I just saw an ad with the new Shellac colors in Nailpro, I am not impressed, yet again, with the colors they are coming out with. Though I love the product I am thinking of switching to OPI for their color selection (which I love!) as well as the LED light for speed. What do you all think? Do you like the OPI? Is the LED speed that much faster to warrant the investment? How is application, wear and removal compared to Shellac? Any info. you can give me would be very helpful as it is quite an investment.

sobeit

Speaking only for myself I love so many different brands of sogp that I don't like to limit myself or my clients to one choice. I use Polish Pro, Shellac, Gelish, and now OPI. I have several colors of each brand. They do different things and I love them all for it. OPI applies so nice, and so far wears wonderful. I am wearing OPI Gelcolor My Private Jet, for the past week now. Its held up on the ends great, like the others. It seems it will be very reliable. I am also looking at LED to speed up, I am waiting on Manicuresthatlast to release their duo lamp that will have uv and led bulbs so that one unit will do all brands for me. I personally hate to buy a led unit and not be able to cure my hard gel, top coats, or the other sogp that are not led compatible. And I dont have room for 2 lamps.
I think you will love OPI and the colors so far for me are true to the nail polish. They have colors no other line offers. Enjoy them.
Our spa currently uses OPI Axxium and we love the wear. A couple of days ago we bought the OPI Gel Color starter kit with only six colors and base/top coat to see how it applys and wears. You can cure it in a UV light so instead of investing in the light now we want to test it. I think the 30 sec cure times
would be nice for the top coat and if you had to fix a nail or if you needed to do a third coat of color. Currently we have 1, 2, & 3 min cure times. Plus, it eases the mind of the client that it is LED and not UV.

sobeit

(02-09-2012, 08:11 PM)mkjohnson Wrote: [ -> ]Our spa currently uses OPI Axxium and we love the wear. A couple of days ago we bought the OPI Gel Color starter kit with only six colors and base/top coat to see how it applys and wears. You can cure it in a UV light so instead of investing in the light now we want to test it. I think the 30 sec cure times
would be nice for the top coat and if you had to fix a nail or if you needed to do a third coat of color. Currently we have 1, 2, & 3 min cure times. Plus, it eases the mind of the client that it is LED and not UV.

I am curious as to why using led puts your clients minds at ease? Led is still emits uv. Different wave length. They should be fine with using both, as the walk to the car gives them more exposure.
I absolutely love the OPI line and all the colors.
Application - goes on beautifully. I did have trouble with Pompeii Purple but the first time, but the 2nd time I put a coat of Pink Flamenco first then a coat of the Pomeii. Problem solved and same results.
Wear - the best so far of all the lines I've tried, and I've tried alot! It lasts on me and nothing ever lasts on me.
LED light - definitely worth the $$. The 5 finger, 30 second cure saves a lot of time!
Removal - LOVE!!!! most of the time it comes off in huge pieces with very little scraping/pushing. Sometimes I take the cotton and foil off and it's all totally gone. Best removal of anything I've tried.
Thank you for the info. I think I want to try it. I need a new drill too so I will see how th money pans out. When it rains it pours! LOL!
(02-09-2012, 10:31 PM)ColleenNY Wrote: [ -> ]I absolutely love the OPI line and all the colors.
Application - goes on beautifully. I did have trouble with Pompeii Purple but the first time, but the 2nd time I put a coat of Pink Flamenco first then a coat of the Pomeii. Problem solved and same results.
Wear - the best so far of all the lines I've tried, and I've tried alot! It lasts on me and nothing ever lasts on me.
LED light - definitely worth the $$. The 5 finger, 30 second cure saves a lot of time!
Removal - LOVE!!!! most of the time it comes off in huge pieces with very little scraping/pushing. Sometimes I take the cotton and foil off and it's all totally gone. Best removal of anything I've tried.

I've been considering these products for a while... so many in our neighborhood use CND but noticed my neighbor.. fewer and fewer clients using gel polish, suspect that one not working in the long haul
Q... OPI... prepping the nails, do the need to be "buffed" or filed for adhesion? can I use any UV lamp?
reading so many different recommendations
I lightly buff the nail, but it's not necessary. I do it mainly because I like a smooth nail to work with.
I used a UV light when I did gel toes on myself. I cured the base for 1 minute, each color 2 minutes, top coat 2 minutes. Worked beautifully.
Thank you,
One of our new hairdressers clients showed me her opi gel polish nails, said 4 weeks and the growth backed that up... perfect, says she gardens...
I'm going to pick some up Monday

Q... can I use the base coat and maybe top coat and use regular polish over it? I'm never going to be able to get all the colors clients love, and that is going to be a problem with the gel polish
wondering it the great adhesion it seems to get will improve the hold of regular polish....
q, how much more do you charge for gel polish?
hard for me to calculate the extra time for removal and additional cost of product ...
No, I really don't think you should use the base and top,with regular polish. The results will not be the same.
Colors I recommend getting: I'm not really a waitress, Brisbane Bronze, Bagota Blackberry, pink Flamenco, Malaga Wine, Bubble Bath, Alpine Snow. Those are the ones I use the most right now.
I charge between $9 and $14 extra for gel polish. It's lower than most but it's what people in my area can afford.
If you go to http://www.goblondies.com and order from them they have a coupon you can use. I don't remember the code, email them or call them first.
One last flash of doubt.... did some internet cruising and found several sites of people complaining the sogs made their natural nails dry and damaged
No way to know if the people doing the services, possibly themselves, were doing it right... but most of my natural nail clients don't have great nails (and that's a puzzle to me, but they would rather struggle with thin peeling natural nails than use a product) so they would not be happy with me if we tried something that made the nails seem worse (even until they grew out)....
what are the clients nails like after a while?
(02-12-2012, 11:07 PM)ColleenNY Wrote: [ -> ]No, I really don't think you should use the base and top,with regular polish. The results will not be the same.
Colors I recommend getting: I'm not really a waitress, Brisbane Bronze, Bagota Blackberry, pink Flamenco, Malaga Wine, Bubble Bath, Alpine Snow. Those are the ones I use the most right now.
I charge between $9 and $14 extra for gel polish. It's lower than most but it's what people in my area can afford.
If you go to http://www.goblondies.com and order from them they have a coupon you can use. I don't remember the code, email them or call them first.

thank you, list copied... most of the natural nail clients are french, light or red.... I can pick from the list to start

I'm a little behind the times... last opi sog I looked at was axxium, looking at goblondie.... I see the gelpolish....
solves the complaints about axxium, the difference between a soak off gel and gel polish... I get it
and explains the colors confusion ;-)

what I don't see is the gel polish base coat?
found it
can't edit?
I think OPI will be fine, basically because if done right it requires no buffing before applying, and just a buff of the top coat at the removal process. If you leave the cotton/foil on long enough it comes right off with with little to no pushing or scraping needed. Add a little cuticle oil to the acetone to make it less drying.
They really need to use their cuticle oil at home too.
Before you do their service document the condition of their natural nails. Sometimes people forget how thin their nails were before they started and then like to blame us for thinning them when they no longer want to wear their GP or enhancements.
There should be a base coat. If you don't see it on the site call them.
Thank you for the help!
very good advice, about the drying effects
if clients use a lot of lotion, does it contribute to lifting?

Q, how much oil to how much acetone?
(saves me experimenting and getting it wrong ;-) )

I did find the base, didn't show on the lists but come up on search
worth at least trying, even if clients don't use it all the time, vacations coming up

sobeit

(02-13-2012, 03:12 PM)wendynailart Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the help!
very good advice, about the drying effects
if clients use a lot of lotion, does it contribute to lifting?

Q, how much oil to how much acetone?
(saves me experimenting and getting it wrong ;-) )

I did find the base, didn't show on the lists but come up on search
worth at least trying, even if clients don't use it all the time, vacations coming up
I don't think lotion will contribute to lifting. As far as the oil goes, for me, if I am using the bowl method I use a cap of oil to the 1/4 bowl of acetone. The foil wraps, I apply the oil to the cuticles and then wrap the cotton acetone foil.
Yep, what Peggy said. Thanks Peggy!! : )

Talk them into getting it. Most of my clients who've tried it have loved it so much they said they'd never go back to regular polish. Point out all the benefits of wearing it, put it on yourself so they can see it.
Also, when I first introduced it I offered it at the low price of $5 extra. They get hooked and want it every time.
If you do an intro special let them know it's for a limited time (say the month of March)...after that, the price will go up. At the end of the month you're guaranteed to have a bunch of new clients!! Good luck!
Good Ideas
I picked up the base and french colors today, some dental work wiped out my budget so the other colors will have to come later...

I looked up OPI's directions
they say to buff, use NAS and then Bondaid...

It seems it does work without buffing*
do you use NAS and Bondaid?

* to me, buffing crosses the line from natural nail care, meaning the nails are unchanged.