BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: UV or LED Lamp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
HI,

Been using an UV Lamp for 13 years so I'm trying to decide IF I NEED to switch to LED or not........what do you use? And which is the best now?

Thanks!
Lindac Big Grin
I am using the CND uv lamp and love it. Easy to clean and change bulbs and love the removable tray.

sobeit

Not all of our gels and SOGP with cure in LED, but they will cure in UV. Or so far as I know I have never come across a line that is LED cured only. Lots of UV only though. There are lamps coming out and some on the market that have both lights in them. That's what I will be looking at.
Yes that is true, not all gels will cure under a led lamp...better check what the manufacturer of your line suggests or go with what sobeit says, those that have both..
Quote:lindac :
> HI,
>
> Been using an UV Lamp for 13 years so I'm trying to decide IF I NEED to switch
> to LED or not........what do you use? And which is the best now?
>
> Thanks!
> Lindac Big Grin

Right now, a good CFL UV light that costs $150USD will cure pretty much anything out there in about two minutes. A good LED UV light will cost $300-400 and will cure that manufacturer's products, but no guarantee on others, in 30 seconds. And I'm not sure that it really saves that much time.

With all of these new systems, techs can't be expected to buy the light for each system they use. There is already clamoring for a universal and/or dual CFL/LED UV light, and now there are these CCFL lights. I think we may soon see a time when lights are rated by the type/range of gel they will cure and gels will have a cure number on them. Another possibility is that the cost of the CFL and LEDUV lights will be brought down to well below cost, so that the profit is not made on the light, but on the gel polishes - sort of like the way computer printers are.

The next few years (maybe even months) will be interesting times for the gel polish industry, so I think it may be worth it to wait.
Quote:Been using an UV Lamp for 13 years so I'm trying to decide IF I NEED to switch to LED or not........what do you use? And which is the best now?

I use a UV lamp.
I think that, at the moment, it is the best option.
Despite what people might say, not all UV lamps properly cure gels and not all LED lamps properly cure gels.
All I know is that my lamp properly cures my gel as per my manufacturer's recommendations.
And until the industry introduces LED that accurately encompass all the requirements needed to properly cure any gel, then I think it's wise to hang on and wait.
This is what Doug Schoon is writing on Uv and LED lamps:

Proper UV Curing is Important!

There is a lot of confusion about LED Lamps; can they be used to properly cure any type of UV curing nail product? The answer is NO! It is true that all LED lamps create UV light and will "harden" UV curable products, but unless the LED lamp was specifically designed to properly cure this particular UV nail product, don't expect to achieve a "proper cure". Traditional and LED nail lamps both cure UV nail products by emitting low levels of UV light. It's not surprising that these have differing ranges of UV wavelengths and widely differing intensities. Even two different brands of LED nail lamps will differ in wavelength and intensity. The same holds true for traditional UV nail lamps; different brands are highly unlikely to have the same UV output. Each of these lamps will cure a UV curing nail product to varying and different degrees.

A properly and carefully formulated UV curing nail product requires the correct level of UV exposure in the proper range of wavelengths of the correct intensity and for the right amount of time. This is true for every type of UV curing nail products; hard, soft, soak-off, hybrids, etc. UV curing nail products can cure to three levels that are best described as; "under cure", "over cure "and "proper cure". Too little UV exposure results in under curing; too much exposure results in over curing and these can lead to service breakdown and increase the potential for skin sensitivity issues. Nail professionals that disregard manufacturer's instructions or don't use the correct lamps with proper cure times are "curing to the eye". Natural sunlight will also cure UV nail products, but that doesn't mean that sun-curing is a sensible thing to do. These sophisticated products must be used and cured properly.

The same types of rules apply when cooking. If you put cookies in an oven that's too hot, they will over cook. If the oven is too cold, they will under cook and it doesn't make sense to just leave them in until they "look like they're probably cooked" because right on the label the manufacturer has provided the proper cooking time and temperature. Nor does it make sense to completely ignore the instructions and put the cookie dough in the microwave for a half the time, unless you want improperly cooked cookies. What if these cookies are to be sold to a client? Wouldn't the client rightly expect their cookies to be properly cooked? The same holds true for UV curable nail products! Proper UV product use requires correctly curing with the proper UV lamp, traditional or LED.
Quote:Proper UV Curing is Important!

Finally! Some commonsense and not following the LED marketing hype like sheep.

THANKYOU!

Big Grin
I understand all the confusion but I love using an LED lamp. Much faster! Especially when doing pedicures and my own nails. I still use my UV for shellac but I am moving everyone to gelish or opi colorgel. Once I finish old stock, I will only buy LED cured products. I got lightspeed LED lamp for 200. It's not as big as opi but it works just fine for me!
ameera319 wrote:

Quote:I got lightspeed LED lamp for 200. It's not as big as opi but it works just fine for me!

Please give more details about this light:

wattage =
number of LED bulbs =
total hand cure or thumbs separately =
is the unit in 10s 20s 30s cure increments =
other time increments =
how many bulbs are on each the side of the lamp =
does it state the nm number =
is this unit a solid construction or seems too plasticky?

Can you share with us which brands of sogp you are using with the Lightspeed light?

Thanks,

Enhance
Light speed is sold on premier nail supply site. I do not know all those details.
It has a 10,20,30sec timer. I use it for gellish and Opi colorgel with their stated cure times for led. It is plastic but not too flimsy it has a removable bottom plate and legs to lift it higher. It is designed for 4 finger but if a clients hands aren't to long all five can go in with the thumb resting on the index finger. I think Opi new design is great but I didn't want to wait or pay double the price.
Sorry I'm not more help.
Thanks,

Enhance
(01-09-2012, 02:00 PM)lindac Wrote: [ -> ][/color]

Hello friend I am trying to get new lamp so which lamp technology will you prefer? I know thread is bit old but I think you are the right person to help me out.. Please reply thanks in advanceSmile
I have both- i purchased an LED for about $120 on Amazon- works well with my Gelish, OPI, & anything else LED cure. I saw Artistic Nail has a hard gel line for LED- interested to see this product! What A time saver LED is. But the salon I am @ uses Reg UV. I find I'm always waiting on the 2 minutes * using that one!
[quote='beauty4nails' pid='14681' dateline='1326352501']

Too little UV exposure results in under curing; too much exposure results in over curing and these can lead to service breakdown and increase the potential for skin sensitivity issues.

With all due respect I have a hard time believing that you can "over-cure". Apply some gel on your nail and go out in the sunlight - it will cure and cure well! (I found that out by trying to do my nails outside in the shade and the gel cured in the container - no direct sun exposure.)So does it not make sense that if you can over cure then the sunlight will continue to cure the gel every time you are in the sun?
Interesting
(07-10-2013, 04:39 PM)gelpro Wrote: [ -> ][quote='beauty4nails' pid='14681' dateline='1326352501']

Too little UV exposure results in under curing; too much exposure results in over curing and these can lead to service breakdown and increase the potential for skin sensitivity issues.

With all due respect I have a hard time believing that you can "over-cure". Apply some gel on your nail and go out in the sunlight - it will cure and cure well! (I found that out by trying to do my nails outside in the shade and the gel cured in the container - no direct sun exposure.)So does it not make sense that if you can over cure then the sunlight will continue to cure the gel every time you are in the sun?

I'd have to disagree with the statement that "it will cure and cure well!" UV gel polishes are hard at only about 55% cure, so they appear cured but aren't thoroughly cured.

(07-11-2013, 01:17 PM)NancySyd Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-10-2013, 04:39 PM)gelpro Wrote: [ -> ][quote='beauty4nails' pid='14681' dateline='1326352501']

I'd have to disagree with the statement that "it will cure and cure well!" UV gel polishes are hard at only about 55% cure, so they appear cured but aren't thoroughly cured.

Sorry, I did not clarify, I was referring to a clear hard gel - but that being said, I am going to paint some maniQ onto a tip and leave it outside for a few minutes and then file it off and compare it to one that I cure in my lamp.

I was not implying that you can just step outside to cure your nails, I was disputing whether or not you can "over-cure" gel nails (not gel polish)
Opi led light! Worth the $ & much faster than uv.
I use Gelish 18 g lamp. LOVE IT. It cures all of the led gel polishes that I have tried. Opi, Gelish, artistic, gel II, NSI
I love LED because I work fast and it works fast too!
Question: Will the LED light still cure old school UV top coats over regular OPI nail lacquer?
From what I know- NO.
I have been using my gelish 18g light to cure all my gel products including those that say uv. I cure Shellac and OPI axxium finish gel to finish off my pink and white acrylic. I have been doing so for 3 months and I have seen no difference in product performance or longevity. It saves me a ton of time! I wear Shellac myself and have had no problems. So I'm not really sure why CND is saying you can't cure shellac in LED. Maybe money and the fact that they do not offer a LED light yet. Anyway, I don't want to start a war or anything, just give you all some information.
I use both LED and UV lights. It really depends on the product being used. My UV light is CND and the LED light is OPI. I would suggest reading the manufactures suggestion s on the products you are using to determine your best choice in lights.
Thanks for the info! Just received my OPI LED, and love it!! And so far its curing the UV top coat over nail lacquer in a minute, with high shine. But making sure of course that the polish is dry to the touch before applying top coat.
Pages: 1 2