BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Be honest - primer with SOGP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So for the most part, sogp wears well on all my clients.. however they still get discouraged when they have a small chip or two after 2 weeks. So I've been using primer and no problems whatsoever.
Anyone else use primer with soak off gel polish? If so, results? Pros or cons? Thanks!
Heidi
I've never used primer, my clients are having no problems with chipping. I'm using Gelish base and top coat, and sometimes a different brand for the color. Only one person said there was some peeling issues and that was after 2 weeks.
I'm with Donna on this. I never use primer for this service.
It's not needed and a pain to remove if you do. A little on the f/e if desired is fine, but not the entire nail.
Same here, I don't use primer or bonder when using SOGP. I haven't had the need to.

sobeit

I will be honest at the risk of sounding too blunt. I think your clients are being unrealistic if they are discouraged by some small chips at the 2 week mark. I could see being worried that you need to prime if it's on all clients and it happens after 4 days. SOGP is a polish replacement meant to last longer than traditional polish but it's not indestructible, and it can wear or chip with regular easy lifestyle let alone being more careless with cleaning, picking stickers and typing.. Some will chip and some won't. All in all it's advertised to last up to 14 days. But that does not mean there will be no wear on them.
I have used primer on clients that are going on vacation. I didn't see any difference in the wear but soak off is 5 min longer.
That's just my opinion in chips within 2 weeks. It's not acrylic its polish ony better.
The answer depends on the condition of your clients natural nails, and their lifestyle. Also bear in mind that as Doug Schoon has said, not all clients are suitable for gel polish or any enhancement.

If the clients come back with signs of wear, next time user a small amount of primer on the free edge as also recommended by Colleen, but be aware this will increase the soak off time.

Some customers will be prepared to service every 14 days, but mostly we hear from our salon partners that their customers expect the gel polish to look good for 21 days as its then cheaper.
Ive used YN protein primer on the free edge on a client that was chipping and it did help a bit. Didnt take any longer to soak off, BUT I dont make a habit of it and just use it on her.
Thank you!! I thought it was just me.... but really... small chips after 2 weeks is pretty good and I agree, my clients are being unrealistic. I will only use the primer on the free edge (as I was) on my two clients that have the problems. I use sogp on the hairstylist at my shop without primer and she barely has issues..... thanks everyone!!! I mean, if I can keep my gel polish on for 2 weeks without issues, then I'm pretty sure it's not something I'm doing.. since my hands are in acetone all day.
What brand are you using?
I use Gelish...shellac...colour gloss and Eco. Tried pplish pro but felt too rubber and chipped easily.
I wish clients would remember that their regular polish would probably be non existent after 2 weeks and a few minor chips is actually pretty good.
I use primer just on the free edge with SOG.
ColleenNY :
> I wish clients would remember that their regular polish would probably be non
> existent after 2 weeks and a few minor chips is actually pretty good.

Great point.

we get lots of client by word of mouth, so how long it last for their friend and how long it last for them it two difference ball game. We all know that not all nails are created equal, and not to mention work habits and among a long list of things that come into play that can effect durability also.

At my salon we don't say how long it last by number of day or week, but we tell them that it will last up to 3x as long as regular polish.

I say no to primer also.
That's EXACTLY what I was just recently thinking!
I was thinking how on some clients polish lasts 10 days and they only get a wear on the free edge.... on these clients gel polish will last alsmost 4 weeks.
Then we have these clients that tell us that polish will chip within 2 days... these people will probably get about a week+ with gel polish



artdesigninc :
> ColleenNY :
>> I wish clients would remember that their regular polish would probably be non
>> existent after 2 weeks and a few minor chips is actually pretty good.
>
> Great point.
>
> we get lots of client by word of mouth, so how long it last for their friend
> and how long it last for them it two difference ball game. We all know that
> not all nails are created equal, and not to mention work habits and among a
> long list of things that come into play that can effect durability also.
>
> At my salon we don't say how long it last by number of day or week, but we
> tell them that it will last up to 3x as long as regular polish.
>
> I say no to primer also.
ColleenNY :
> It's not needed and a pain to remove if you do. A little on the f/e if desired
> is fine, but not the entire nail.

I'm with Colleen. The real con is that primer could make the gel polish very difficult to remove.