BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: To cap or not to cap...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know some of you ladies find capping on some gel polish is needed on some lines that dont call for it and visa versa- Can you tell me who you find you should or should not cap with. Primarily ECO and Gelish, but thought there may be others using lines that they may also want to know. THANKS!!!!!!
Hi I cap on all gel polish its not worth taking the risk of it shrinking on lifting I do fine capping with the Gelish is the easiest.
If I cap I get shrinkage, if I don't cap I get shrinkage. Doesnt matter what brand im using. What's the secret to not getting shrinkage????

BornToBling

I almost never get shrinkage with the Akzentz Luxio, but it does call for capping, same with the Options line. But I have heard that with some gels capping can cause lifting??? I was taught to always cap...who knew!?
There is no need to cap the free edge with eco Soak Off UV Nail Color. We found that capping actually increases the possibility of chipping and peeling.

The secret to no shrink back is ultra thin coats, even if you have to do 3 to cover. I've got 2 sections in the Application Hints area to help:

Q. The color seems to creep away from the edges no matter what I do. How can I correct this?

Q. I am experiencing shrinkage or "pull-back" on the first color coat, how can I avoid that?

sobeit

Quote:ColleenNY :
> If I cap I get shrinkage, if I don't cap I get shrinkage. Doesnt matter what
> brand im using. What's the secret to not getting shrinkage????
For me the secret is to dry wipe as much shine off as possible from the base coats.
sobeit :
>
Quote:ColleenNY :
>> If I cap I get shrinkage, if I don't cap I get shrinkage. Doesnt matter what
>> brand im using. What's the secret to not getting shrinkage????
> For me the secret is to dry wipe as much shine off as possible from the base
> coats.

Exactly, and dry wipe the free edge as well. Also, there is such a thing (dare I say) as too thin. Sometimes I see techs stretching it out so thin, it can't do anything else but shrink.
Another tip to sealing the free edge properly, is to do this part first. That way, if do have excess product you'll pull it out when you apply color to the surface. I hope I'm being clear.
All my shrinkage has stopped completely since I started dry wiping, or using a coffee filter to wipe dry, not with any cleanser, it doesnt leave any lint, or very very minimal that I can pick off.

I use Gelish and thought I would try it, it works amazing!!!!!

Kristalnails

I use akzentz Luxio gel polish, and I always get the shrinkage, doesn't seem to matter how thin I apply it, so frustrating. I sometimes have to cure one nail at a time.
The weird part is when I do GP on myself I don't get shrinkage, but on my clients I do.
I find that shrinkage happens esp when the base coat shrinks. Then the color has nothing to "stick" to. Makre sure when you prep the nails you "hug" the nail with a wipe saturated with pure acetone or 99% alcohol. Wipe the edge of the free edge too.

Sometimes I get some shrinkage on the first coat of color but usually the second coat of color covers everything.
If I cap (lightly) then I make sure I go over the nail again with the polish to get rid of the excess (the bump) of color on the free edge.
could someone explain 'dry wiping"?? TIA
wldhrtd1 :
> could someone explain 'dry wiping"?? TIA

It's when you first cure the base coat and then wipe it with a dry gel brush to remove the uncured, sticky layer.
(01-07-2012, 02:54 PM)wldhrtd1 Wrote: [ -> ]could someone explain 'dry wiping"?? TIA

The reasoning behind the need to "dry wipe" is too much base = too much sticky residue layer. The color layers now "float" around on the base's sticky residue layer causing the color layer to shrink back. To prevent shrinkage of the color layers, you need to dry wipe in some manner.

The biggest problem I find is technicians who are proficient at hard gels tend to apply UVGP in the same manner. This would be too thick. You need to think polish not gel, but even thinner than a traditional polish application. I received a sample of a polish bottle consistency brand and applied it on a friend. It felt so much like polish I lost my brains and applied thick as I would polish and it chipped that night!

Dry wiping:
Using a clean lint free wipe or clean dry gel brush, just wipe off some of the sticky residue layer and proceed with your color layers.

Another suggestion is to clean the sticky residue layer after curing the base, take a quick white block to the nails to lightly rough them up, giving the your color layers something to adhere to.

How to get your base REALLY THIN:
Some technicians who use bottle brands of UVGP are using a gel brush for the base coat application. This helps REALLY get the base REALLY thin.
Pick up a small amount of base on a gel brush, tap it to 3-5 nails. Spread the base in a circular motion, cuticle to free edge, almost as if you are scrubbing it in. When the nail is covered, pull down, cuticle to free edge, almost wiping it all off. You should feel some resistance. Cure the proper amount of time for the product. Remember that the base usually cures a different amount of time than the color layers.

I hope that helps!