BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: LED light
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just found out that OPI is going to release color matching SOG with their popular colors, so toes can match fingers. The LED light is $350. I have a Brisa UV lamp and it looks like it may be possible to still do the OPI with a UV and not an LED. I am looking for a lamp that is quick and will do both. Any "enlightment"?

sobeit

I haven't heard about it in a month, but I do know that manicuresthatlast via star nail ( I think star nail is making the unit ) will release a dual lamp. UV and LED lights so one unit will work with both cure types. Hopefully Lorainne or Eileen will see this and chime in. Thought it would be pretty soon here to see it and it's under $200 ( huge happy face ) I plan on getting one.
Dual lamp? At a price (under) $200 how is this a good deal?

UV bulbs will still need to be changed regularly. You will still have the cost of those UV bulbs. When you buy good quality UV bulbs at $8 - $12 a piece and change them every three months. The bulb cost continue to go up!

If most UV sogp is cured with four (9) watt bulbs, an investment of $32 - $48 every three months over a years time is $128 - $192. Add in the cost of that dual lamp and your investment is $328 - $392 the first year for this type of lamp.

I can't see where this type of lamp would prove to be a better investment vs. the new LED lamps that are out now.

Yes the cost of a LED upfront is anywhere from $300 to $399, but you don't replace any bulbs because these new LED's last five years or more.

I've been replacing my stock with LED sogp so I don't have to continue to pay for UV bulbs.

Enhance
If dual means that I'd have the option of switching from uv to led with a flick of the switch then I personally feel that it would be a great deal. Especially for under $200. I'm with it!
Thats interesting, I had never thought of adding up the cost like that. I am thinking of getting a LED lamp but think I will still have to have the regular UV for classic gels or gels not specifically noted as LED. Do you know if you only have a LED lamp..can u still cure regular gels or sogp?

So I just read down further and answered my own question ) but i still think a LED is the way of the future.. I have a feeling that is where all the sogp and even classic gels are going to be going in the next few years..
Quote:I am looking for a lamp that is quick and will do both. Any "enlightment"?

A lot of LED lamps will cure both BUT the gels have to contain the photoinitiators that will kick off at that lamp's specified wavelength. This is why usually one LED lamp will do one manufacturer's product brilliantly but suck at the rest. This is why you have this scenario:

Quote:I have a Brisa UV lamp and it looks like it may be possible to still do the OPI with a UV and not an LED.

Not all LED lights last five years. It depends on the lamp and who made it. LED lamps vary greatly in wavelength and a vast majority are not UV.

While it's fair to say that LEDs are the way of the future (maybe), at the moment, a good UV lamp will cover the spectrum far better than an LED will. From what I have researched and from what I have seen in the current marketplace, I don't think LED lamps are a wise investment right now.
Right now, a good CFL UV light that costs $150USD will cure anything out there in about two minutes. A good LED UV light will cost $300-400 and will cure that manufacturer's products, but no guarantee on others, in 30 seconds. In addition to the cost of bulbs, you also have to factor in the cost of your time.

It seems that if you use a lot of different lines CFL UV gives the broadest coverage. If you stick with one line, then an LED UV gives you speed.

sobeit

Quote:enhanced :
> Dual lamp? At a price (under) $200 how is this a good deal?
>
> UV bulbs will still need to be changed regularly. You will still have the
> cost of those UV bulbs. When you buy good quality UV bulbs at $8 - $12 a piece
> and change them every three months. The bulb cost continue to go up!
>
> If most UV sogp is cured with four (9) watt bulbs, an investment of $32 - $48
> every three months over a years time is $128 - $192. Add in the cost of that
> dual lamp and your investment is $328 - $392 the first year for this type of
> lamp.
>
> I can't see where this type of lamp would prove to be a better investment vs.
> the new LED lamps that are out now.
>
> Yes the cost of a LED upfront is anywhere from $300 to $399, but you don't
> replace any bulbs because these new LED's last five years or more.
>
> I've been replacing my stock with LED sogp so I don't have to continue to
> pay for UV bulbs.
>
> Enhance
Well I will just have to ask you based on your own calculations how exactly it's a bad poor not good deal?
The price of good UV units are a few hundred alone, the price of a good LED again a few hundred alone. So if you are like a lot of us using more than one type of system then getting ONE unit that does it all instead of using TWO units is a HUGE money saver. Whats the difference in buying a, oh let's say Brisa UV light and replacing the dang bulbs as usual, or buying a dual lamp and replacing those dang bulbs as usual. Yet be able to use your LED cure and UV cure with one lamp? My math shows it as a great deal.
Now on to other math, your LED unit will die. It could be at the 5 year mark or less and if it's gone it's gone. Your going to buy a whole new unit. Let's say $500 including tax. Divided by 5 years is $100 a year. What are you spending on bulbs? Mine are $25 total every 4 months, that's $75 a year. So it saves me money to replace bulbs. Don't know about yourself.
And I will also say that a lot of us aren't interested in limiting ourselves to one product and as you know or should anyway not ALL gels or SOGP is LED compatable. So that's how it becomes an excellent deal. I don't have to throw away my hard gel, or shellac, just to have an led unit that will cost me $150 more over 5 years time.
Quote:your LED unit will die. It could be at the 5 year mark or less and if it's gone it's gone. Your going to buy a whole new unit.

I didn't know the LED in this dual lamp doesn't ever die out.

If and when it does, you will end up with another UV lamp with a burnt out LED in the unit. Now you will have to decide to buy the dual lamp again or just an LED unit.

I don't see where this is a good deal.

Quote:And I will also say that a lot of us aren't interested in limiting ourselves to one product and as you know or should anyway not ALL gels or SOGP is LED compatable.

Never said I was limiting my options, just expanding them. I have two Light Elegance UV lights I've been using for years now. There's no real need to replace those units.

A LED light will meet the requirements of the next generation of gels whether it be LED sogp or LED hard gel. FYI, the OPI Gelcolor light will also cure: ACG, EOCC.

Enhance

sobeit

I don't think you get it, or are reading anything I said. I am not here to argue, and if it's not a good deal for you then my suggestion is to not buy it.
For me and many other techs who refuse to limit our services to a single product, we need UV as well and if we all can get a single unit that will cure BOTH types that we offer, then why get two lamps? So I have to limit myself to LED cure only and spend $500 on a light vs $199 on an LED UV dryer? I never said that it wouldn't die out, but when it does, I am not interested in spending 2-3 X as much on a replacement. Do what you want with your LED unit and LED only products and I will do and let others know what a great deal it is to have one unit to cure our multi lines. Since ALL gels and uv top coats cure in UV and only some cure in LED. I will be set to use it ALL with the push of a button and not having to switch out my lamps. I will save space and money, and that is a GREAT deal. So good for me. Have a nice weekend, I'm outta this place.
To be fair, a lot of LED lamps are UV. After all, LED UV technology has been around for ages in other industries - eg. printing

Just like you don't have 36 watts just because you have four 9 watt bulbs in your lamp - what separates one from the other is the output of light from those bulbs.

A lot of lamps on the market are around 300-400nm. This means that, in order for a gel to work in the LED lamp, the manufacturer must match the photoinitiator in their gel to the wavelength in their lamp. (Anything above 400nm is not UV). This is why you get some companies guaranteeing the use of their gel in their UV LED lamp.

The difference between the "normal" UV lamps and LED is not whether they are UV or not but the type of light they emit and at what wavelength.

So while most gels and top coats cure in UV lamps (not all do and some may not be a "proper" cure), the reason that a lot of gels won't cure under a UV LED is due to the wavelength output and photoinitiator in the gel not matching. Given that there is no uniformity in the industry at the moment with gel or LED manufacture this is mainly why, IMHO, the use of an LED lamp is not a good deal financially or practically.
I just purchased the new Gelish 18G LED lamp.

Will this lamp cure all lines of LED curable gels and or gel polishes, and will it work for UV cured gels?

sobeit

javamama14821 :
> I just purchased the new Gelish 18G LED lamp.
>
> Will this lamp cure all lines of LED curable gels and or gel polishes, and
> will it work for UV cured gels?
No it wont give you the proper cure if any for gels or soak of gel polishes that require UV units. However I see that the LED lines I have come across all cure in UV. I have not seen any UV/LED products that only cure in LED. My understanding is, they all cure in UV ( LED is UV just different technology and I cannot describe it like others can) and then some cure in LED but they must say so in the directions. It gets confusing. Another reason why I want the dual unit from manicuresthatlast lol
There is a mini LED light at Sally's u can start with. with a pro card it's about $50ish. It is just really small & can only fit 4 fingers.

Ya i saw that little light....my question is-- why gelish offers CoNSuMERS who arent licensed a cheaper-- smaller light ?? Obviously the answer to this is so they can buy their line.....but why cant we as professionals get a break on price and get a little/ cheaper light as well?? Thats what burns my butt when it comes to that compnay....and i sure hope in the future that all of these companies get it together so we can in fact use the better technology of LED for everytg!!!!!!!!
You can buy the mini just the same as the consumer and use it.
Well duhhhhhhh...im just saying why dont they offer us a cheaper version??? Thats all...Smile
Sorry, not sure why you are saying DUH to me. So DUH to you honey. That is YOUR cheaper version.
Wink sensitive much?? Didnt mean anytg by that...just asking for a " professional" grade Cheaper light......why they dont offer us one??? Oh welll not a biggie...not gona start a war over nuttin.....SmileSmile
If I answered you that way would you appreciate it? Think about that next time you want to "duh" someone for a simple answer. No wonder so many people keep leaving.