BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: What would you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is a nail tech....and I use that term loosely, in town that does very bad nails, often hurting people and making them bleed. Awhile back I got a new client that had been going to her and said she had a 'fungus' (greenie) and to treat it that tech filed her natural nail with a sanding band to try to remove the greenie and then had her soak her finger in bleach. The client said it hurt so bad she almost cried.
That was awhile ago and I'd forgotten about it until one of my regulars came in and said her grandmother was going to that tech and she did the same thing to her.
I really want to call or write to this girl and tell her what she's doing is so wrong and give her a piece of my mind.
I would also like to turn her into the state board but I'm not sure if I can do that myself or if the actual customer has to do it.
Do you think I should handle it at all? I'm just fed up with people doing nails wrong! Its them that give our industry a bad name! :twisted:
i have called the state board myself on a tech that was operating with an inactive license. believe me, they seem to take it more seriously when you are able to give clients names (so ask them first or see if they would also make a complaint) and they are willing to talk to the board in detail about what happened.

best of luck whatever you decide.
I would ask the client if it's ok to use her name or grandmothers name if you were to make a complaint, then make the complaint.
If the client says no to using her name, then I would still at least try to make the complaint.
I think it is silly that some state boards only accept complaints from the clients and no one else, I suppose it's there so techs don't go around making false complaints about other techs but I still think it's silly.

Go for it Colleen, do what you feel you need to do, it's about protecting these poor suffering clients from this very wrong tech.
go for it , send her a letter .. i dont know that the state can do anything about pure stupidity .. but you could try getting the client to call in and you are supposed to be able to be annonomous if you request so..
Colleeen, call Albany on Tuesday and ask if you can file a complain againt another licensee as a licensed person yourslef. Some states allow this I cant recall if NY does or not.. In the mean time write some notes up swhile things are fresh in your head Smile
I remember a while back someone posting that they KEPT the complaint forms and info needed to file a complaint at their salon all the time. Sometimes, the client really wants to file but doesn't want to go thru the hassle of getting the forms, and mailing it. I could have used one of those today for the daughter of a client.... :x
Thanks for the info! I'm going to do both. I'd like to see her shut down, but fined at the least.
I agree with everyone else! you should totally try to file a complaint with the state, or get the forms and help the clients fill them out and mail them off. especially if she was using household bleach on a person's finger!!! that is NOT supposed to be used on skin!!!
Even the NSS salons around here aren't that crazy...
Hello Big Grin

Sorry my english. My dad run the salon I work at. We had a coworker who like that and always hurt customer, my dad fire her because too many complaint. Too bad you don't know her boss.
Vietgirl, her boss is her mother, and she's just as bad! They're horrible nail techs!
Haha omg, they should have Yelp for nail tech. :lol:
Quote:Do you think I should handle it at all?

No.

And nor should you make a complaint as you have no evidence at all to back the claims that are being made to you. If your clients are so bummed by it, then they should complain and illustrate how this person's alleged shoddy work has adversely affected them.

You can't just set about ruining a person's reputation because other people have told you that this person is bad. Not only does this make YOU look bad, she could also sue you for defamation.

I would concentrate on doing the best nails I can and educating the customers you have.

If you wish to visit this so-called bad nail tech and have her do your nails then do so and if she does a hack job on you, only then will you have a legitimate avenue through which to complain.
Quote:Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: (No subject)
Quote:
Do you think I should handle it at all?

No.

And nor should you make a complaint as you have no evidence at all to back the claims that are being made to you. If your clients are so bummed by it, then they should complain and illustrate how this person's alleged shoddy work has adversely affected them.

You can't just set about ruining a person's reputation because other people have told you that this person is bad. Not only does this make YOU look bad, she could also sue you for defamation.

I would concentrate on doing the best nails I can and educating the customers you have.

If you wish to visit this so-called bad nail tech and have her do your nails then do so and if she does a hack job on you, only then will you have a legitimate avenue through which to complain.

Point taken, but given that 2 separate people have told me that she does the same thing I think I do have proof. Maybe not physical proof, but verbal proof and 2 people that can back me up if needed.
My clients aren't aware of who they should or can complain to and as a professional worried about their overall health, I would be happy to help them.
This isn't about ruining somebody's reputation or shutting them down, this is about taking matters that effect other people negatively into my own hands if I feel that I need to. If helping someone NOT get hurt by her again makes ME look bad for some reason then I'll take that chance.
I hope you have better luck getting something done there than we do in TX. Even if complaints are filed, the place closed down, the people can and do still reopen WITHOUT a license and for some reason the state says it takes over a year to get any legal action done. I truly think it depends on the inspector and the law in the city or state it's happening in. If a place reopens after it's been closed, it's usually turned over to the District Attorney's office in that city or a State D. A. Either way, it's a loooong time before any action is taken and a lot of damage can be done to the public in that amount of time.
Quote:Point taken, but given that 2 separate people have told me that she does the same thing I think I do have proof. Maybe not physical proof, but verbal proof and 2 people that can back me up if needed.

I understand what you're trying to say but what you have is not proof. It's hearsay. And leaves you wide open to litigation if you pass that hearsay onto a third party without evidence. I'm not saying that you are trying to do the wrong thing. I'm just telling you how it is.

Quote:My clients aren't aware of who they should or can complain to and as a professional worried about their overall health, I would be happy to help them.

Then you simply recommend where they go and let them provide concrete evidence. It doesn't mean you do it on their behalf.

Quote:This isn't about ruining somebody's reputation or shutting them down, this is about taking matters that effect other people negatively into my own hands if I feel that I need to.

Well, again, I understand that you think that you are not deliberately going out to ruin someone's reputation but that is essentially what you are doing if you are making accusations and lodging formal complaints with only someone else's word to go on. Simply put, this is slander. (What if this happened to you?) Apart from this, as you are not directly involved, you are involving yourself in something that has nothing to do with you and you're trying to justify it. You can't.

Quote:If helping someone NOT get hurt by her again makes ME look bad for some reason then I'll take that chance.

What you are proposing is not helping someone. It's actually hindering them. A State Board cannot take your complaint seriously with no proof to back it. So if you put your 2c worth in and someone else comes along and puts it in the same way, an organisation is likely to think, hmmm...perhaps a vendetta here and is even less likely to take action when someone legitimate complaint comes along. I've seen this happen. Too many cooks spoil the broth. And in business, you looking bad means loss of business. Do you want that?

In order to do the right thing here you must have proof and since you don't, it's up to your clients to follow your recommendation to the State Board and for them do it themselves with the proof they have (be it their hands or photos etc). I mean, they're able to help themselves, aren't they?

I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear but you did ask for feedback and I'm just doing that.

Smile
I don't feel like I would personally ruin her reputation, she's done that for herself by providing less than standard nail services. In this small town many people know her and they all say the same thing. In fact, I went there for my very first set of nails way back when and she murdered my cuticles. Every one of my fingers was a bloody mess. Had I known back then that that wasn't normal I'd have done something about it myself. Needless to say, I never went back.

What if it were me? Well for one, I wouldn't put myself in a situation where someone would need to report me. I take my clients health and well being seriously. I wish every one would, then we wouldn't have these problems. I don't have a problem with other people doing nails in my town and I certainly don't see them as competition when they do this kind of work, but I do think that people have the right to be spoken up for when they're being hurt.

I don't think sitting back, keeping quiet and letting it happen is the solution to this problem. We've all complained about salons like this and want something done about it, so now is my time. I'm not going to just let it slide.

I'm going to take Deb's advice and call Albany to get some direction on what can be done. Only THEY can tell me if what I'm doing is right step. If not, they'll direct me as to what I need to do.

Thank you for your input.
In my experience in California it's very easy to file a report against salons/service providers for unlicensed activity. (No personal experience with the salon or service provider is necessary.) If a business/person advertises beauty services without proper licensing, that's enough evidence for a complaint. Our board does take action, conduct inspections and issues fines.

Wherever you live, you are a resident and consumer in that state, as well as a taxpayer, voter, business owner/employer (in some cases), etc. In California, our licensing fees fund the board, and enforcement is a tremendously costly and important function. Given the limited resources, valid complaints help the board do its job, that is, protect consumers.

sobeit

I disagree that you would be liable or in violation of character defamation. Not when you have had reports from the victims of painful, unsafe, services that go against the regulations and laws of the state. What's going to happen when you make a written complaint? Nothing. They are going to document it. If and only of they get enough written complaints, will they go look into it. There is no ruin of reputation, no newspaper articles, no commercials, or public announcements. There is no defamation when it's not a lie. If the state reads your report and your the only one who wrote in, they are likely to do not a damn thing. If your letter is let's say the last straw so to speak, then it's obvious they will want to check her. You can't be sued for speaking on the behalf of your clients who have been hurt. It's not like your writting lies, or hearsay and sticking it all over town, the web and so on. You will be just fine.
Big Grin my thoughts exactly. You reap what you sow. If you don't want yourself reported, then stop doing nails like an uneducated idiot.
You are both missing the point.

Sobeit, you might want to educate yourself on the definition of defamation and perhaps read the preceding posts before you comment. What you have written regarding slander omits some very basic but glaring facts and I'm not saying that for the sake of arguing with you but so that others who read this think twice before doing what you are advocating.

I'm not saying don't report a person if they are performing dangerous services.

What I am saying is make sure you have concrete PROOF before you start declaring that someone is a sh*thouse nail tech - something which you don't have.

Neither of you know this person or have seen her perform and yet you are both maligning her character by assuming that she's an "uneducated idiot" via what is essentially at the moment mere gossip. If you did that to me I'd have you both out of business in less than a week and filing for bankruptcy.

The onus is on the complainant to prove that what she is saying is the truth. Hearsay is not proof. You would be laughed at in Court. (Then you'd be prosecuted).

It's obvious that neither of you have experience in this area and don't like what I'm saying because it's not what you want to hear so I shall stop here.

I hope I have not offended but I have proferred feedback in good faith based on the intial posting as I'm afraid that in real life this is what you face if you go gobbing off to people because "someone told you so". I would like to think that, by and large, the Nail Tech community in the USA would not behave in this manner.
Toothypegs.
If you read my previous post you'd have seen that I DO know this person and I have experienced her uneducated nail techniques first hand. That was about 10 years ago, but it's obvious that her techniques haven't improved much.

As I said before, I will ask Albany what to do here. I don't think cases like this end up in court. I'm not suing her for any reason, I'm just filing a report. I will get proof from the clients involved if needed, don't worry about that.

Im not offended by what you say, but i do wonder why you, as a nail tech, arent worried about other salons who do this to people? We have every right to have this situation looked into. Yes, she IS an uneducated idiot and I don't mind saying it. Have you ever had your natural nail filed down with a sanding band in an attempt to remove a green spot? And when that didn't work made to soak the now-irritated area in pure bleach? Do you think that's ok to do? The best part is that they now come to me and are so scared of the electric file that they jump every time it comes near them, making my job that much more difficult. This is what needs to stop. This is while reports need to be filed.

So, I got your feedback. Thank you. I'll take it from here.

sobeit

Quote:slan·der/ˈslandər/
Noun:
The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.
Verb:
Make false and damaging statements about (someone).

First of I am very educated and I don't like being told to go educate myself more. Second when Colleen decides To Speak On Behalf Of Her Clients and or Herself, There is ZERO False Reporting. Maybe its yourself who doesnt know how it works, but seding a letter to the state only alerts them to be aware. The dont go in guns blazing, touting banners. No one but the state and the sender knows there is a complaint. They will only check it out if there are enough complaints. I am not saying a word about this nail tech. I think you should go read again. I am supporting Colleen. I am not spreading rumors as you accuse, and I dont need proof or any other form of evidence, thanks. Besides, Colleens clients have no reason to lie, Im 100% sure they didnt fabricate or exaggerate their experience and I am not going to call them liars just because I didn't see it first hand. I am not continuing on with you and how you feel about is as I don't care. And I am tired of repeating myself or listening to repeat reprimands.
Colleen, do what you need to do. And do like Deb said which is contact the state and find out what you should do. They wont mind telling you how to help your clients or other clients. Again, not defamation or slander. Writing a letter is not going to do anything bad, at the most this tech will be alerted to the correct procedure.
I have to say, I agree with Toothypegs on this. Law is a funny thing, and it seems like his/her advice is the safest way to go. Let the client actually file the report.

Colleen, I definitely feel for you, there have been plenty of times that I've seen injury to clients and it has made me angry too. But it's not your place to take the action. Does your client (or actually the clients' grandma) not want to handle the complaint herself? I love the idea of having the forms ready and offering to even mail it for them.

And how exactly would an inspection prove that this is how she treats bacterial infections? It's not like they come in around the clock, everyday (at least I hope not)

Just my two cents.
I'll handle it. Thank you.
Colleen wrote:

Quote:I really want to call or write to this girl and tell her what she's doing is so wrong and give her a piece of my mind.

I can understand your frustration at what your clients are saying to you about this tech.

Have you reached out to this tech in a friendly manner to discuss the issues your clients are discussing with you? Her technique may be something she learned from another misinformed tech. She may not read here at BT or have had any advanced trianing in nail care. You may be able to change her ways by a simple introductory and a friendly chat about nails.

Isn't there any way you can approach her with this before you resort to filing with your SB.

I also agree with the hearsay comments.

Enhance
Pages: 1 2