BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Today's daily gripe. Share yours, it relieves stress!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a client who has been a long time acquaintance (not friend-we had a few classes together while we in college).

Well, this was her first appointment with me and I put on a pretty set with aqua glitter on the tips. She called me less than 1 week after her first appointment to tell me that 3 of her nails came off-all on her right hand, middle, ring and pinkie and all at the same time, (Imagine that! All in a row!). All the rest were in great shape. Of course, she had no idea what happened. I had her come in on my lunch hour to fix them as I didn't have a single minute any other time. By the way, this was no charge since I guarantee a set for 2 weeks after it's first put on. I usually never have any problems.

When she came in for her regular 2 week maintenance on Thursday, her left thumb had lifted so badly, I had to file away all the product and replace the pink part of the nail. The tip was perfect with no problems. And of course, the 3 replaced nails and the rest of her nails were perfect and just needed a fill.

So, this past weekend, this gal calls on Sunday and leaves a message that when she was reaching for a 3 ring binder (like this means ANYTHING to me) the glitter tip came off on the thumb that I replaced the pink!

SERIOUSLY????? I have nothing this week to get her in to fix her thumb and since she's due tomorrow for her regular maintenance, I decided to not even call her back and wait to see if she comes in tomorrow. If she's pissed off enough and doesn't come back, no big deal. I just foresee her being a continual headache.

To make things worse, the whole time she's sitting in my chair she's blathering on about how she's gong to train her dog to be an assistance dog because she has such bad plantar fascitis that, who knows?, she may need her dog to help her get stuff! And he's such a great and smart dog, he's going to be perfect for this! Never mind that she's in nursing school and surprise! She might be required to be on her feet when she's a nurse! It was all I could do to keep a straight face while I was doing her nails!

If she shows up, then I'll just fill her and let her know the 2 week guarantee is over and that if she breaks anymore, it will be $5 to fix each one. If she doesn't show up, then good riddance. I have a line of people waiting to take her place.
BornToBling :
> My gripe today is that, last night I had to comp a ladies nails because my
> land lord (the owner of my shop) wanted to close the shop early, so I had to
> screw my client around, make her cancel another appointment and come in two
> hours early, when that wasn't when she had booked or wanted to.
>
> I would have told them to stuff it but I wad told "Everyone is really pissed
> off that you have a client that late and we have to stay and wait for you..
> ." and was rendered speachless...
>
> I pay for that space too bloody bad if you have to wait for me when the store
> hours are posted, and you want to go home early. So I lost out on money and
> got put in a really foul mood about the professionalism of the shop, after
> I had to have a "conversation" with the owner the day before about something
> similar on my part.

I'm SURE he will comp your lost wages with a rent discount...right? Lol
Argh, price disaparity!

The prices of nail product between the US and Australia which are up to 300% depending on the product - eg. Brisa Lamp - in the US = $150. In Australia = $500. Creative Nail Design ProSeries Gel Flat Oval #6 Brush - US$21. In Australia it's $45.

And the Polished Turd Award in terms of nail product sales would go to a number of suppliers/distributors in Australia who are blatantly and falsely selling Belava tubs and liners ONLY and are touting it as "the complete Belava Pedispa". It's not complete. :evil: It's missing the heating unit which you can't yet buy in Australia! And they think a tub and 20 liners for AUD$55 is a great bargain!

But it's not just nail product suppliers.

It's also IKEA - eg. US = $100 for a shelf; Australia = $400.
It's clothing - eg. US = $75 Rock & Republic Stella jeans; Australia = $250.
Electrical - eg. US = $600 Cotton Candy (Fairy Floss) Machine; Australia - $2,500.

For whatever reason, that just sucks. And that's my gripe.

Bah.
Toothypegs :
> Argh, price disaparity!
>
> The prices of nail product between the US and Australia which are up to 300%
> depending on the product - eg. Brisa Lamp - in the US = $150. In Australia
> = $500. Creative Nail Design ProSeries Gel Flat Oval #6 Brush - US$21. In Australia
> it's $45.
>
> And the Polished Turd Award in terms of nail product sales would go to a number
> of suppliers/distributors in Australia who are blatantly and falsely selling
> Belava tubs and liners ONLY and are touting it as "the complete Belava Pedispa".
> It's not complete. :evil: It's missing the heating unit which you can't
> yet buy in Australia! And they think a tub and 20 liners for AUD$55 is a great
> bargain!
>
> But it's not just nail product suppliers.
>
> It's also IKEA - eg. US = $100 for a shelf; Australia = $400.
> It's clothing - eg. US = $75 Rock & Republic Stella jeans; Australia =
> $250.
> Electrical - eg. US = $600 Cotton Candy (Fairy Floss) Machine; Australia -
> $2,500.
>
> For whatever reason, that just sucks. And that's my gripe.
>
> Bah.

oooooh! I have the same price grip with the US! Everything is much more expensive here and WAY less variety!

my other gripe is a client who cancelled last minute, so I called the person I rent space from (she's a stylist) and she said "no problem, I can do my own hair tonight!"
then 20 mins later, my client calls and wants me to get her in anyway.
I could have, but I don't want people taking advantage of me, my time and disrespecting the person I work with, so I said no. I know - lost money, but if I don't lay down my ground rules now, then I can't do it later!

sobeit

Ah a gripe to relieve stress. Hmmm. I get sick of people assuming they know anything about how I feel or about what is going on in my life. I never knew I couldnt support a fellow tech, or back myself up with information, or feel like some approached are awkward or off. I didn't know I happen to be the only one who isn't allowed to be human and must answer in fake agreement with everyone else. I don't like people assuming that if my business is slow, that I am somehow suffering emotional stress. I work part time. For health reasons. I always have. So my business is always slower. I love it that way. I have never ever complained about my business. Ever.
I broke my foot on the 1st, I fell today trying to figure out crutches, I just had minor surgery 2 weeks ago that was ripped open during my fall, I have had to rearrange my entire life and business this week. Funny how all my clients support me, don't want me at work, never felt put out. Yet I can come here and be told all kinds of BS. If my gripe is not legitimate becuase it's not about my customers then see if it can be deleted.
Ahh. I feel better thanks for the opening to gripe. And since not every gripe is about clients but other topics I felt free to add me own. Big Grin
(((((((((((Peggy))))))))))))))) Feel better Big Grin
@ Tn Nail Lady
I had the same problem. After 2 hours on the phone with tech support we discovered because my printer wasnt plugged directly into the wall, but into a surge protector strip, it wouldnt print color. Had plug it into wall and run all the tests and it worked perfectly. Crazy/Stupid I know, but worked. Good Luck!!!
Peggy: awhile back you and I clashed on this message board and had words with eachother. Fortunately I decided to contact you personally and actually got to know you and found out you're a sweet, caring, fun person. We've come a long way. : )
If other people would be more thoughtful and a little more empathetic about other people this message board might be a better place.
This board has lost so many good people and is no longer the educational, fun place it was when I first came on here 7 years ago.
The good thing is that I've made a lot of friends here and met many of them in person at trade shows and classes. The sad thing is that very few of them are on here any more. I'm heading their way...

sobeit

Quote:ColleenNY :
> Peggy: awhile back you and I clashed on this message board and had words with
> eachother. Fortunately I decided to contact you personally and actually got
> to know you and found out you're a sweet, caring, fun person. We've come a
> long way. : )
> If other people would be more thoughtful and a little more empathetic about
> other people this message board might be a better place.
> This board has lost so many good people and is no longer the educational,
> fun place it was when I first came on here 7 years ago.
> The good thing is that I've made a lot of friends here and met many of them
> in person at trade shows and classes. The sad thing is that very few of them
> are on here any more. I'm heading their way...
Colleen I ♥♥♥ you and I appreciate you. And there are so many beautiful helpful talented smart bright and yes blunt bold people here that we love to talk and debate with. It's just when it goes personal and we say things that are character attacks or go over the line of the topic and what we think of feel about it, to saying what we think of the persons life, of business or status and that is what I just can't deal with. Do I know people here think I am too much? Of course I do. But when you tell me I am lying, even when I can back it up, or you assault my personal life, that turns off everyone. Not just me. I have a lot of support here as do a lot of techs. I don't know why I let a wee few do this to me.
My last client tonight had choosen a turquoise sogp for her new years eve color to where with her new outfit.

Welllllllllll she tells me her hubby asked her if she was four years old. She pick off the color and tells me it just peeled off. She also complained her nail plates were rough. Confusedhock:

She wanted and got a free redo tonight. Oh well! :roll:

Enhance

BornToBling

Starting to feel like I have to many gripes about the shop I work at but here we go...

My gripe today is: I got told I shouldn't use acrylic and that the owner of the shop wouldn't be happy if she was there, and that I should probably "go by one of those ventilator things" because the smell is too strong. This was not only mentioned to me once, or twice, or even three times, but 8 times. That is once and hour... and I wasn't even doing acrylic the whole time.

1st [email protected]#%@#($ bleepin' bleep bleep.

2nd. I was contracted at this shop as a renter and informed the owner before I signed the contract that I do acrylic and will be in the future doing acrylic. I am a nail tech. Suck it.

3rd. I use low odor acrylic, stop being a baby.

4th. I would love to dish out a couple hundred dollar so *I* (the person right by the smelly liquid) don't have to smell it either. But I can't afford it.

5th. I don't appreciate being told all this in that tone, or that you are doing it in front of my client. Thanks for the professionalism guys!

*eye twitch* I need a new shop...
Quote:This board has lost so many good people and is no longer the educational, fun place it was when I first came on here 7 years ago.

Unfortunately I hear you and I agree.
Thankfully I've managed to keep in contact with a few of them though but it's still not the same.
My gripe is that I'm sick of the same people whinging about their lives and then attacking other posters under the guise of how hard done by they feel. Even now I'm reading the manipulative howling and gnashing of teeth while all the while the person assassinating people is the person complaining!! lol I think to myself man don't you get tired of running the same ol' tape all the time? That must really be a heavy load to bear.

The above quote is what happens when certain people are not pulled up and left unchecked. & there comes a time when that person needs to take a long hard look at themselves and at the same time accept responsibility for their awful way of communicating with others. Perhaps they'll then understand why their lives are so hard on the outside.

Born to Bling I know what you're saying!!!!!! AHHHHHHH! I had the same issues for about 12 months and was really starting to hate the industry. I left as soon as my book looked good. Haven't looked back since. When your eye starts to twitch you know it's time to go.

sobeit

Good thing Colleen and I are very supportive of each other Roo. You wont get her to attack my personal life like yourself. I don't ever whine about my life as you say and if you don't like what I say, join the ranks of the very very few and bug off. You said I wouldn't talk like that in person. Your wrong. You don't want to know what I would say to your face, especially when you threaten to knock my block off LOL. So with that daily gripe of yours as well. Toodles.
PS There is one huge difference in the way I speak to others and the way You Roo and Toothypegs speak. I never attack someones personal life, assume anything about their life or talk about them as a person here in this forum. That is the specialty of the two of you. I keep it to the discussion and what I think about the topic or the product or the procedure or how someone is talking down to another. My telling someone they ride a high horse and talk down to people is nothing like you ladies and I use that loosely right now, talk about my business and my character, and my personal life like you know me. which you do not and you are far from the reality of Me. I am above those low blows.
Well I see the gripe over here it's turning into a fight again Sad.

I like the board very much and I enjoy reading everybody's response. Please girls for the love of Nails!, if we don't have nothing nice to say to each other, better don't say nothing.

Continuing with the Gripe topic, my gripe is that I lost my very first nice nail tool (OPI titanium) that my husband gave me the day of my graduation, and I have been looking for it like crazy (I even sorted the garbage eww lol), it upsets me very bad when I think about it. :twisted: :x
my gripe...

when I find a forum that I can actually learn from or get info from it seems that a bunch of people want to leave. Sad

for the sake of those of us who had crappy teachers, been out of the industry for some time or are just wanting some more info - please stay.

this shouldn't be the "salon environment".
Ok I do have gripe. I was tired and did not want to work today,
but have bills to pay
have a great day
I'm a poet and
didn't even know it!!!!
I have a funny money gripe... I just spent 1000 on studio improvements, another 1000 to replenish two of my retail lines, another 1000 on bringing in two new lines, plus more $$$ out to re-do my menus and have supplies for gift baskets from now until Spring, and I'm out of money!!!! I have so many things I want to bring in and do, and now I have to wait for more to roll in before I can do any more! :roll:

sobeit

Quote:CandiceAE :
> I have a funny money gripe... I just spent 1000 on studio improvements, another
> 1000 to replenish two of my retail lines, another 1000 on bringing in two new
> lines, plus more $$$ out to re-do my menus and have supplies for gift baskets
> from now until Spring, and I'm out of money!!!! I have so many things I want
> to bring in and do, and now I have to wait for more to roll in before I can
> do any more! :roll:
This is awesome and yet no fun at the same time. Congrats on the fun upgrades and product. And I wish for you a visit from the money goddess.

Second gripe, I went to work with a newly broken foot and one of my clients forgot her money, so I suffered for free, for an hour. Sad
Third daily gripe, I am not the reason anyone is leaving. I know those who have left or who are contemplating it. They will tell you it's not about me. Anyone who feels they don't want to be here because of me, that's their loss.
I have said it before and I will say it again. I view you all as my coworkers. We won't always see eye to eye, but I won't attack you on a personal level ever.
My gripe for today...It just ticks me off for my clients to tell me how to do my job! "Oh, dont forget that primer stuff cause my nails lifted this time" No heck they didn't,,,,your crazy butt picked at them and you pulled them up...there is a difference between lifting and half you natural nail ripped cause YOU picked your nails off. GRIPE!
@ newbietechy, don't worry, there's plenty of us left on here to help you. If you don't want to ask your questions due to being embarrassed or you don't want to get flamed, email privately.

I've been on this forum for a long time, my profile says 2005 but it sure seems longer. When I first came here, it a couple of hours to read all the postings. Now, sometimes I can scroll thru in less than 5... :cry: The main reason is the verbal scrapping between people. We've lost so many wonderful techs who gave info freely.

@ sobeit, you and I got off on the wrong foot to begin with, but you've been a wealth of info to me and I truly appreciate it. You're outspoken and no one needs to wonder how you stand on something. You're politically correct til your toes are stepped on, then the gloves come off. I like that in you.

@ CandiceAE, I hear what you're saying about being out of money! I renovated last year, spent about $1000 and still am in the process of adding some new products. Theeeennnn, the first of the year slow has hit.......oh well, I'm keeping the rent paid and right now, that's a good thing!
Today's gripe: this job is killing my neck and shoulder. I came home for lunch today with a blinding headache that just about wiped me out. If it weren't so dang cold out I'd have soaked in the hot tub for awhile. I've scheduled a massage tomorrow to hopefully help get the knots out of my shoulders and back and to hopefully help my neck.
I hope all our clients appreciate the pain we have to go through for them.

sobeit

Quote:ColleenNY :
> Today's gripe: this job is killing my neck and shoulder. I came home for lunch
> today with a blinding headache that just about wiped me out. If it weren't
> so dang cold out I'd have soaked in the hot tub for awhile. I've scheduled
> a massage tomorrow to hopefully help get the knots out of my shoulders and
> back and to hopefully help my neck.
> I hope all our clients appreciate the pain we have to go through for them.
Here here to that. I don't want to be accused of complaining about my miserable life though lol. Yes. Yes. I just had to say it. It made me laugh. And Colleen, you may find my humor helpful as you know laughing is the best medicine. Ok a close 3rd to some of the things I have right now.
My Gripe today is about the massage tech booth renting out of my salon. Even though its not any of her business what I pay in rent for my building, she still bitched when I told her that I was raising her rent the first of the year. She complained that SHE shouldn't have to pay over a third of the rent for the building.. um EXCUSE ME??

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am in business to make money and support myself. I got divorced last year and it's been a struggle to make ends meet with the downturn of the economy here.

So if I want to charge her for HALF of my building rent, then shouldn't I be able to charge what I want?? I think so..

thanks for letting me get that off my chest..
ColleenNY :
> Today's gripe: this job is killing my neck and shoulder. I came home for lunch
> today with a blinding headache that just about wiped me out. If it weren't
> so dang cold out I'd have soaked in the hot tub for awhile. I've scheduled
> a massage tomorrow to hopefully help get the knots out of my shoulders and
> back and to hopefully help my neck.
> I hope all our clients appreciate the pain we have to go through for them.

Colleen,

We are not getting any younger girl and to keep up with this occupation we also have to take care of ourselves. I'm having problems with my left arm and shoulder and I'm right handed. If I didn't have to fight some of these people while I'm holding their hand, then I wouldn't be compressing everything.

I get a massage twice a month, it helps but not enough and I know that I need to do stretches but I'm lazy lol I was a gym rat for years and haven't been in over a year and that has really hurt as well. Doing some pull downs or rows with weights helps keep those muscles from bunching up and pinching nerves.

so if you can add some of that to your life that will help a lot too.

Smile
What do you mean I'm not getting any younger??? LOL.

I was going for massage at least once a month but then my mom got sick and I cancelled my massage appts. There was no way I could relax while all that was going on.

A LOT of it has to do with how the client holds her hand or positions themselves. I think they're trying to help but it makes it worse. Sometimes I want to put up a sign that shows and tells how they should be sitting and how to hold their hand, do you think that'd be rude?

I'll try your stretches and weight suggestions. I'm also thinking of trying some PT.
Pages: 1 2 3