BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Need some advice please help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

yelena

Hello Ladies, I need some in put... I am coming back to work and i do not have clients, well here are my questions how much should i pay to rent i do have everything all i am renting is space, how do i build clients? what should i charge? its been so long i am scared to fail in the eyes of my children and husband please fellow nail tech sister can you advise i live in California :?
If you can find a place, I would try to find a salon owner that will let you work on commission until you build up a bit of a clientele. Even if you can't, most will let you pay lower rent with a gradual monthly increase to give you a chance to build up. Figure out what other techs in the area charge with your level of experience and base your service prices on that Smile A lot of techs advertise on craigslist, honestly I haven't had the best luck with that, but hey it's free so give it a try. craigslist is also a good place to research rent prices, find out what's typical in your area because it varies! In idaho, $300-$325/ month is normal, but that's really low or really high for other places.
If you can, stop into every salon before you even contact the owner about leasing a space, so you can get a feel for the salon and see if it's somewhere you'd even want to be without having to feel like you're being talked into signing a lease.

yelena

sbwalnuss :
> If you can find a place, I would try to find a salon owner that will let you
> work on commission until you build up a bit of a clientele. Even if you can't,
> most will let you pay lower rent with a gradual monthly increase to give you
> a chance to build up. Figure out what other techs in the area charge with your
> level of experience and base your service prices on that Smile A lot of techs
> advertise on craigslist, honestly I haven't had the best luck with that, but
> hey it's free so give it a try. craigslist is also a good place to research
> rent prices, find out what's typical in your area because it varies! In idaho,
> $300-$325/ month is normal, but that's really low or really high for other
> places.
> If you can, stop into every salon before you even contact the owner about leasing
> a space, so you can get a feel for the salon and see if it's somewhere you'd
> even want to be without having to feel like you're being talked into signing
> a lease.

Thank you so very much for your advice, i will put to use... spoke with a salon owner and she wants me to pay around $80.00 a week that's about what she is thinking to charge me the place is great and so is the staff also I will be the only nail tech and she has 8 hair dressers they all are very nice i was welcomed with open arms, i stayed for a while and I saw a sisterhood they all helped each other out it was like family and the salon is very clean, inviting and up to date. what do think?
The price doesn't sound bad at all, especially since I seem to remember that CA service prices are higher than Washington or Idaho, and being the only nail tech is definitely a bonus! However, the best way to determine if it's a fair arrangement is to figure out your service prices and see how many services you'd have to do per week to pay your rent Smile Do you only need five clients a week? Ten?
Do any of the hairdressers offer manis/pedis or enhancements? In Idaho, cosmetologists are licensed to do it all (despite the fact that none of the schools teach it all, but that's a whole other rant) so there can be unexpected competition. If they do, just make sure that you are given first refusal to walk-ins/call-ins! One of the hairdressers I work with does mani pedis and we work together to do "BFF" and "couples" specials so it can be a good thing too! When I started at my current salon the hairdressers let me tape a flyer to their stations offering specials for new clients, perhaps you could do so as well? Give all of them a free service and they'll be eager to refer their clients to you!
I really hope this works out well for you, it sounds like a good place to be and if the other renters are happy and excited to have you there as a team member it sounds like an awesome opportunity for your business to be successful.

yelena

sbwalnuss :
> The price doesn't sound bad at all, especially since I seem to remember that
> CA service prices are higher than Washington or Idaho, and being the only nail
> tech is definitely a bonus! However, the best way to determine if it's a fair
> arrangement is to figure out your service prices and see how many services
> you'd have to do per week to pay your rent Smile Do you only need five clients
> a week? Ten?
> Do any of the hairdressers offer manis/pedis or enhancements? In Idaho, cosmetologists
> are licensed to do it all (despite the fact that none of the schools teach
> it all, but that's a whole other rant) so there can be unexpected competition.
> If they do, just make sure that you are given first refusal to walk-ins/call-
> ins! One of the hairdressers I work with does mani pedis and we work together
> to do "BFF" and "couples" specials so it can be a good thing too! When I started
> at my current salon the hairdressers let me tape a flyer to their stations
> offering specials for new clients, perhaps you could do so as well? Give all
> of them a free service and they'll be eager to refer their clients to you!
>
> I really hope this works out well for you, it sounds like a good place to be
> and if the other renters are happy and excited to have you there as a team
> member it sounds like an awesome opportunity for your business to be successful.
>
well yes there is only one hair dresser that does a mani on one client, other than that the rest do not like to do nail work so I am good on that... I think i would have to make $16.00 a day to make rent every month anything else i make will go for supplies and well bills i hope.... the owner is open for new ideas. when I asked why did she not have the staff wear t-shirts with the salon name on it, it would look great she said " what a great idea" "I am open to new ideas" and thanked me so okay I will look in to pricing and let you know how it goes soon i will post a pic of the place wish me look and once again thank you so much for your advice I feel much better thanks you.... wish you were closer i buy you a cup of coffee Big Grin
would the owner be willing to do a 50% commission for you til you get your clientel built? Even $80 a week can be tough if you're not bringing in much. You're going to have to buy your supplies, and since you're just starting out, you're most likely going to have buy in small quantities which of course will cost you more than buying bulk. If the owner was willing to do this for say, 6 months, it would give you time to build with out the full rent hanging over your head. Then if you only did $100 for the week, you'd owe $50 instead of $80.

yelena

Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> would the owner be willing to do a 50% commission for you til you get your
> clientel built? Even $80 a week can be tough if you're not bringing in much.
> You're going to have to buy your supplies, and since you're just starting
> out, you're most likely going to have buy in small quantities which of course
> will cost you more than buying bulk. If the owner was willing to do this for
> say, 6 months, it would give you time to build with out the full rent hanging
> over your head. Then if you only did $100 for the week, you'd owe $50 instead
> of $80.
wow, I would have never thought of that, thank you.... she did say she was open when it came down to rent do to i was new and no clients, this would help a lot i will keep you all posted Big Grin
The owner sounds like a good one, I'm sure you'll come to a good arrangement on your lease!

yelena

sbwalnuss :
> The owner sounds like a good one, I'm sure you'll come to a good arrangement
> on your lease!

I am hoping it goes well, but i"m not counting the chicks until they hatch... lol thank you
Quote:Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> would the owner be willing to do a 50% commission for you til you get your
> clientel built? Even $80 a week can be tough if you're not bringing in much.
> You're going to have to buy your supplies, and since you're just starting
> out, you're most likely going to have buy in small quantities which of course
> will cost you more than buying bulk. If the owner was willing to do this for
> say, 6 months, it would give you time to build with out the full rent hanging
> over your head. Then if you only did $100 for the week, you'd owe $50 instead
> of $80.
This will be like the perfect start!! I like it!!!. Big Grin . I have to put this on the table in the next months see if I find a owner with a heart too :wink: .
Good luck Yelena! Big Grin .

yelena

ParkNails :
>
>> would the owner be willing to do a 50% commission for you til you get your
>> clientel built? Even $80 a week can be tough if you're not bringing in much.
>> You're going to have to buy your supplies, and since you're just starting
>> out, you're most likely going to have buy in small quantities which of course
>> will cost you more than buying bulk. If the owner was willing to do this for
>> say, 6 months, it would give you time to build with out the full rent hanging
>> over your head. Then if you only did $100 for the week, you'd owe $50 instead
>> of $80.
> This will be like the perfect start!! I like it!!!. Big Grin . I have to put this
> on the table in the next months see if I find a owner with a heart too :wink:
> .
> Good luck Yelena! Big Grin .

Thank so much for your kind wishes, I will keep you all posted..

yelena

yelena :
> ParkNails :
>>
>>> would the owner be willing to do a 50% commission for you til you get your
>>> clientel built? Even $80 a week can be tough if you're not bringing in much.
>>> You're going to have to buy your supplies, and since you're just starting
>>> out, you're most likely going to have buy in small quantities which of course
>>> will cost you more than buying bulk. If the owner was willing to do this for
>>> say, 6 months, it would give you time to build with out the full rent hanging

>>> over your head. Then if you only did $100 for the week, you'd owe $50 instead
>>> of $80.
>> This will be like the perfect start!! I like it!!!. Big Grin . I have to put this
>> on the table in the next months see if I find a owner with a heart too :wink:
>> .
>> Good luck Yelena! Big Grin .
>
> Thank so much for your kind wishes, I will keep you all posted..

Well I am doing better than i thought in two days I've worked through the day and i have people calling for appointments already, word of mouth is spreading fast the salon is very busy, the clients are very happy with my work I feel blessed, thank you call for the advise, I would not have done it with out you all. Big Grin