BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Just Venting....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So... One of the hairstylists in my salon decided to start doing Rock Star toes... she figures it looks easy enough, and she can make a few extra bucks. Honestly, at first, I was ok with it. I am the only nail tech in my salon, and at times, I turn clients away. I thought that if I trained her, at least I would be able to send my clients to someone who I "trust"... Then of course, she decided to do gel polish too. Everything was fine, until I realized that several of the clients I had referred to her for their hair were cancelling their appointments with me. Well.... I figured out that she is undercutting my prices! WHAT?! Are you kidding me? Yup, that's right... I trained her, to basically steal my clients! I know that we don't own our clients, and they can go anywhere they want to, but this is just wrong....

And then, another stylist in the salon is starting to do manicures and pedicures... so of course she want to "figure out this gel polish thing"... I watched the first stylist giving her product to stylist #2, with some basic instructions on how to use it. She sat there practicing on the receptionist (who happens to be stylist #1's mom)... while the receptionist was telling her what to do. I finally chimed in, and asked "whatcha doing over there?" and she responded "practicing how to do gel polish"... so I said" well, that is certainly smart... having the receptionist train you!". The receptionsist said" well, I watch you all the time... its not that hard"

ugh... some people!

Thanks for letting me vent!

sobeit

I am annoyed on your behalf. That sucks and it's rude. Guess you should tell them your going to refer your clients to another salon for their hair. Since they don't mind taking business from you, you can stop giving it to them. Vent away.
Love your response Sobeit! That's exactly what I would say.
You know there seems to be something about hairstylists taking advantage of nail techs!

When I was really "new" I was posting ads on Kijiji for clients as I worked out of my home....a hairstylist responded asking if I would consider "trading services". New as I was at the time I was curious about what she had in mind. In essence she wanted to get her nails done while I would get my hair done. My first warning sign came when she said she wanted to see how 'well' I did nails...As a relatively newbie - really only a few months in the business - I decided to try this out and see what happened.

Turns out she had awesome nail beds for competition...hummmm...at first I didn't say anything about comps, but an ABA comp was coming up and I had been thinking about competition for some time. Then I did enter ABA - my first and ironically the last for ABA - but that's a whole other story.

Back to this "client". She came, loved her nails and told me she would have her friends, mom and sisters come to get their nails done. Great I think! She was also going to give all her hair clients who expressed an interest in nails my card. I'm sure you can imagine my delight albeit naiive!....little did I know...

She came for her first fill and i asked her about being a model at ABA. This would get her ticket in to the show...which had great appeal...so she agreed readily...then informed me her mom and friends were not interested in getting their nails done ....warning sign #2...then she wanted to give ME HER flyers to build up HER clientelle....

Then she wanted me to "train" her on how to do nails! Warning sign #3! I told her I would not as I was not an educator and I had an ethical issue with her suggestion. Also she would not be able to get product because there was no way for me to certify her ...to which she replied "I'm a hairstylist...I can get anything". ...hummmm..no...sorry I will not train you..I had only been doing nails a few months at that point....no way did I feel even remotely adequate to train someone! She said "oh come'on ..you know how to do them! What's the diff???" A whopping big one and you know it!

Then came the comp....I removed her nails the morning of the comp...was supposed to be the night before, but for personal reason she asked for the next morning. I agreed...i arranged for her to meet me at a specific time...she was half an hour late...i showed her where the comp area was and then she wanted to check out the show....I requested she be in the comp area 15 minutes prior for pre-judging...she showed up five minutes LATE saying she "got lost"...and held up the start of the competition for everyone.

After the comp she wanted me to "fix" the nails I did and wanted them redone right away....I fired her as a client and never saw her again. In the end she got her nails done three times, but there was NO WAY I'd trust her to do my hair!

So, Dee, I totally understand your pain! Your situation is abit different, but similar. I learned my lesson with this gal relatively easily and admittedly let myself be taken advantage of - which I do NOT any longer - but in your situation in a salon it's different. Are there no licensing rules where you live? Where I live there are not, but if you are in the US are there not State laws regarding certification?

Good luck Dee...I wish I could offer a solution...and sorry for venting...I just get abit riled when I hear stories like this!

BornToBling

This should be illegal, everyone on here can agree with me that there is a lot more to doing nails than just applying nail polish...

What if someone has diabetes or takes blood thinners and gets cut by nippers, or even a nail file that isn't properly positioned/dulled on the edges? Or is pregnant and they use a lotion that has essential oil, or has a condition on their nails they have no idea how to identify...

Hairstylist should not be able to do nails, just as nail techs and estheticians cannot do hair, which is why we cannot buy color from cosmo prof and usually other suppliers... this makes me angry, and makes me wish more that there was mandatory licensing in Canada....and everywhere else fore that matter!! :evil:
I was working as the only tech in the salon and had been doing hair in a pinch to help out. Two new hairdressers came to work and I gave them the hair clients- I hate doing hair. The owner came to me and asked if it was ok if these girls continued to do some manicure clients that they did hair on that followed them from the old place. I said no I didn't mind as long as they didn't try to take my clients. The owner promised me they wouldn't and that she had an extra table they could use and not be messing in my stuff. Well....a couple weeks later, I come in and lo and behold there sets my first client of the day getting her nails done by one of the hairdressers, Then the next week another client. Then they decide to do pedicures. All the implements at the pedi station were mine so I got them and locked them in a drawer. They came asking about what I did with the implements. I told them they were mine. Come to find out on my day off they were doing pedis and using my stuff. Next thing I know, the owner buys them new implements that she wouldn't buy for me. Within the month I was down to doing one nail polish on a little girl in a week. I left.
In Tennessee nails are covered under cosmetology license and some facial work- no machines. But you can also get just a nail or esti license. I am a cosmo.
BornToBling :
> This should be illegal, everyone on here can agree with me that there is a
> lot more to doing nails than just applying nail polish...
>
> What if someone has diabetes or takes blood thinners and gets cut by nippers,
> or even a nail file that isn't properly positioned/dulled on the edges? Or
> is pregnant and they use a lotion that has essential oil, or has a condition
> on their nails they have no idea how to identify...
>
> Hairstylist should not be able to do nails, just as nail techs and estheticians
> cannot do hair, which is why we cannot buy color from cosmo prof and usually
> other suppliers... this makes me angry, and makes me wish more that there was
> mandatory licensing in Canada....and everywhere else fore that matter!! :evil:

In the States, what we call hairstylists, hairdressers - are Cosmos (cosmetologists) and their license automatically allows them to do nails as well. At least that's how I interpret it. So it's not illegal. Unfair perhaps.

To the original poster, I would not have been as nice as you. I'd be having a talk with those girls and directly tell them they are poaching your clients, and how would they like it if you poached theirs. Where is the owner in all of this?
as a hairstylist that does nails.. i am offended that anyone thinks we should not be able to do this service or it should be illegal!!!.. we are licensed to do it all.. and i do. and i am dang good at it! and i paid a whole lot more money for my education so that i could do all aspects of my license! As well as I go to more educational classes than the average bear to continue to be good at all I do.
now that is said..
I dont agree on what the hairstylist did in your salon.That was uncalled for and unprofessional on their behalf. I would never do that to someone. I know plenty of hair girls that would not do that either.. so I also am po'd on your behalf. There is such thing as professional behavior and that is not it!
you need to speak to the owner of the salon and ask her if she needs you or not? It should be a discussed topic with a nail tech in the shop that those services are sent to you, the tech. unless the hair girls signed on to be all aspects to begin with.
I would speak to them all? maybe they dont realize that you are offended and that it is hurting your bottom line, and if they are going to continue to do the service maybe you could get them to at least charge what you charge.
I mean really if their buddy doing hair next to them dropped her color prices by 10 or more bucks they would understand because some of their clients would start using that one if the other was busy
and if they are unwilling to compromise with you, well,perhaps if they have so little respect for you there you should find a new place.
I agree with Kathie, you're all trying to make a living, at the very least the hairstylists should be charging the same as you. Stylists can make way more money than nail techs, and most I know other than Kathie don't even want to touch a set of nails. They can stack clients, doing H/C's or a polish while a client is processing, something nail techs don't really get to do. You can't stop them from doing it but I'd sure talk to them about the competitive pricing! ARe you boothrenting or employee?
kailiek :
> as a hairstylist that does nails.. i am offended that anyone thinks we should
> not be able to do this service or it should be illegal!!!.. we are licensed
> to do it all.. and i do. and i am dang good at it! and i paid a whole lot more
> money for my education so that i could do all aspects of my license! As well
> as I go to more educational classes than the average bear to continue to be
> good at all I do.
> now that is said..
> I dont agree on what the hairstylist did in your salon.That was uncalled for
> and unprofessional on their behalf. I would never do that to someone. I know
> plenty of hair girls that would not do that either.. so I also am po'd on your
> behalf. There is such thing as professional behavior and that is not it!
> you need to speak to the owner of the salon and ask her if she needs you or
> not? It should be a discussed topic with a nail tech in the shop that those
> services are sent to you, the tech. unless the hair girls signed on to be all
> aspects to begin with.
> I would speak to them all? maybe they dont realize that you are offended and
> that it is hurting your bottom line, and if they are going to continue to do
> the service maybe you could get them to at least charge what you charge.
> I mean really if their buddy doing hair next to them dropped her color prices
> by 10 or more bucks they would understand because some of their clients would
> start using that one if the other was busy
> and if they are unwilling to compromise with you, well,perhaps if they have
> so little respect for you there you should find a new place.

Kathie, lol breathe girl Smile She didn't know the facts, she does now if she reads this. Honest mistake xoxo

sobeit

There are 2 different ways to see this situation for me. One some cosmo's like nails and keep it as part of their updated menu and are fantastic at every thing they offer. They have been doing nails in the salon the whole time.
Two, like the place I rent in. I am the only nail tech. I refer my clients and my new clients to the salon for their hair. If one of the stylists who has never done a nail in their life aside from SB exams, decided they were going to start offering any nail service and took my clients I was working on, with lower prices. I would be pissed too. The stylist I work with have been doing hair No Less than 15 years and most well over 20. They wouldn't know nail care and what to look for or how to do it if they were payed $1M. Are they licensed and have the right to do nails? Yup. Should they with outdated training and no experience, just decide they are going to take what they saw and run with it? No way. They should have to go back and be retrained first.
And of course we have one Barber, She cant do nails. Its one of those things where its a case by case deal. From the OP Deedee. I am getting the vibe that these hair stylists have always been doing hair only, and are now cashing in on her generosity and knowledge and taking business. They should at the very least talk about what is happening. I doubt seriously that my coworkers would appreciate me coming in with a threading hair removal service which isn't under regulations and took their waxing business from them.
Cosmos in the state of washington are required to complete 100 hrs in the nail room...this includes ONLY basic manis/pedis. No enhancments whatsoever...I have HEARD that in our state, cosmos are NOT licensed to do gel nails...its a rather grey area....maybe one day I will call the state and ask if this is truly the case.

All I know, and please dont slam me for this. Is that your AVERAGE cosmo did not learn a thing about UV lamps, LED's etc in beauty school, so it would make sense that they would not be licensed to perform gels, as they were ONLY educated in basic mani/pedi....
Sorry to hear that Dedee Sad .
I know a few hairstylist that want to do nails, even if they say they hate to do nails, but they want to make more money, seem easy but eventually they gave up.
I teach one of the massage therapist one time how to do easy designs, than she was like not talking to me anymore and asking others about how to use a uv lamp? lol. :lol: , I guess she want it to do nails too.
Here in the state of Colorado, when you get a license in cosmetology, you are in fact, licensed to do nails as well as skin care. It was the same in Nevada, where I received my original license. Most hairstylists don't do nails, that is true, but they can if they want to. This is definitely a case of a cosmetologist who has NOT done a single nail since school, and has decided that my job is not all that hard, so she is going to piggy back on my success. She is not electric file certified, NOR does she use an electric file that is state board approved. She does not know the first thing about natural nail safety, and I really dont think she cares about it either. She doesnt know the first thing about and of the products, ie the difference in Shellac or Gelish, or a hard gel or soft gel. The bottom line is that these clients that have switched to her are apparently no different then the clients who go to the non standard salons. They don't care about quality or education of their professional, they only care about price. It is truly frustrating, but, I have realized that it is okay that they are gone from my book, as it makes room for different people. I will continue to educate my clients on the services that I provide, as well as the education that I have, and the difference in types of services. They can choose for themselves and will ultimately learn that you do get what you pay for.
I do think that one of the things that frustrates me the most, is that because of techs like her, it gives the products a bad name. When these peoples fingernails become damaged, they end up blaming the product, instead of the tech.

sobeit

Deedee, you have a sound mind and your knowledge and attention to detail will continue to help replace those clients, like you said, with ones that appreciate the difference between your nail services and the cheap service. Put a sign up like my Tattoo artist has, good nails ain't cheap and cheap nails ain't good. Ya never know though, when the nails aren't holding up like yours do, and there is some damage from improper application or removal, the client may be crawling back, where you get the upper hand and deciding. And do not give any pointers to the coworkers who decided that your "just" a nail tech, how hard can it be. They will learn how hard.
You know, Peggy, we really don't work that far apart from each other... we should have coffee sometime!

BornToBling

Sorry Katie, scratchmyback is right, and to clear up my pervious statement, I meant people that have not been properly trained to do nails shouldn't be able to do nails. Not cosmologists that are trained to do this as well as hair.

I simply feel it is unfair that with my training that I am not allowed to buy hair color and do my friends and family's hair, even if I was taught by a co-worker to properly mix color, yet someone that is ONLY licensed for hair is allowed to do nails and be only taught by a co-worker.

That is simply what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

sobeit

Quote:nailsbydedee :
> You know, Peggy, we really don't work that far apart from each other... we
> should have coffee sometime!
Sweet, I'm always up for coffee.

sobeit

Quote:BornToBling :
> Sorry Katie, scratchmyback is right, and to clear up my pervious statement,
> I meant people that have not been properly trained to do nails shouldn't be
> able to do nails. Not cosmologists that are trained to do this as well as hair.
>
>
> I simply feel it is unfair that with my training that I am not allowed to buy
> hair color and do my friends and family's hair, even if I was taught by a co-
> worker to properly mix color, yet someone that is ONLY licensed for hair is
> allowed to do nails and be only taught by a co-worker.
>
> That is simply what I meant, sorry for the confusion.
Its only illegal for a Barber to do nails. That is the only, 'Hair Only' license out there. And if the barbers are doing nails or waxing, or facials they can loose their licensing.
Cosmetologists are licensed to do everything, Nothing is left out of their realm of service. They can do nails, hair, waxing, skin care. I don't want you to be confused about who can do what under license by their state. Nail techs can wax lower limbs in some states like here in CO, we just need a simple class first. Our Barber we have, and the cosmos in the shop, do not care to touch nails, which is good for me. But I could only stop the Barber if I wanted too. I dont know of many Barbers anymore.
not arguing with anyone, but its a state by state basis. Here in WA a cosmo is licensed to do NATURAL nails, waxing of the face and a facial...PERIOD
StellaAmante :
> not arguing with anyone, but its a state by state basis. Here in WA a cosmo
> is licensed to do NATURAL nails, waxing of the face and a facial...PERIOD

This depends on how long they've been licensed, as anyone who was licensed prior to the change a decade or so ago is licensed for nails and esthetics. I know many cosmos here in WA who can do all of the services, but typically they choose not to.
In MS a licensed cosmo can do all the services. Thank goodness for me, because nails ended up being my favorite part!
CandiceAE :
> StellaAmante :
>> not arguing with anyone, but its a state by state basis. Here in WA a cosmo
>> is licensed to do NATURAL nails, waxing of the face and a facial...PERIOD
>
> This depends on how long they've been licensed, as anyone who was licensed
> prior to the change a decade or so ago is licensed for nails and esthetics.
> I know many cosmos here in WA who can do all of the services, but typically
> they choose not to.

So they were training in all aspect of esthetics AND nails, meaning someone licensed 10 yrs ago as a cosmo can do say...acrylic nails?
[b]StellaAmante :>
> So they were training in all aspect of esthetics AND nails, meaning someone
> licensed 10 yrs ago as a cosmo can do say...acrylic nails?

Yes. I can't remember the date when the laws changed, but it was around 10 years ago - prior to that Cosmos rec'vd more training (haha, such as it was) on nails and esthetics, and their license allowed them to perform ALL nail services. When the law changed they were required to pay for "endorsements" in order to continue performing nail services and waxing, facials, etc.