BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: OPI GelColor Question....Is this normal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I started using the new OPI GelColor and every time I use the top coat over a dark color, the brush picks up the dark color. I have to wipe it off or my top coat bottle will turn color. I do not have the OPI light yet so I'm curing longer in the Shellac light. I'm actually curing for dark colors for three minutes each coat. Is this normal???? thanks, Kelly*
Curios what others have to say, I am having the exact same problem!! Forgot to mention this in on another thread. Thanks!
Hey ya this happens a lot..but I see newbies doin this with regular.polish/topcoat....so try to have a lighter touch and then just wipe it between your fingers. before putting it back in the bottle. That's a real easy fix....Smile
let us know how uou are liking it tho after working w it for awhile. One of my clients goes to a real fancy spa out in "rich town" and was asking what they used...OPI or Shellac...and they told her absolutely NOT opi cuz they've allreedy heard how bad it is....soooooo???
good luck with it u guys!!!! WinkWink
Just putting in my 2 cents.. Smile

I have had OPI gelcolor for exactly a week today.

Put it on a customer that had just taken off her acrylics 2 weeks ago, and we tried gelish on her. She now is trying the OPI line...And she is in love with it!

I have checked in with mulitple other customers on how they are holidng up as well and everyone feels its wearing the same or better than gelish.

I personally LOVE LOVE how it goes on so smooth and easy. I am not experiencing the running of the gel color.

I am experiencing the top coat picking up color as well though. in my particular case, I feel that I am putting my layers on too thick, due to it just glides on the nail so easily...just my opinion though Smile

sobeit

In my experience with other brands its seems fairly normal for the top coat to pick up a little color from the color layer beneath it. The colors cure but they like all the coats have a dispersion layer and that is probably what your seeing. Especially with dark colors.
I have heard from a few reliable sources that they are not having any problems with the O.P.I gel color. I think if some are having it run into the cuticle and side walls while others are not, that maybe it needs a really good stir vs a shake. Pigment will settle with the gel polish just like solvents will separate from the hybrid type gel polishes.
I don't have any experience with O.P.I but I do have it with different brands of each type of gel polish.
I'm still loving it!!!! I've had it on my nails for a week and it's holding up wonderfully....and let me tell ya, nothing ever lasts on my nails! My customers love it because it comes off so fast, and so do I.

Might I suggest those who are having trouble take a class from OPI? I know it's a sore subject because of a previous post, but I swear I've had nothing but luck with it!

sobeit

Quote:ColleenNY :
> I'm still loving it!!!! I've had it on my nails for a week and it's holding
> up wonderfully....and let me tell ya, nothing ever lasts on my nails! My customers
> love it because it comes off so fast, and so do I.
>
> Might I suggest those who are having trouble take a class from OPI? I know
> it's a sore subject because of a previous post, but I swear I've had nothing
> but luck with it!
I am really glad your loving it so much because one, I trust you and, two I love O.P.I colors. I get that some are having issue, but when it's a few that find it not working out and then the rest have no problems, I am sorry, I have to go with technical error. I don't say it to be rude or mean. But I don't think one can get a bad batch with every single color they were sent. It may be a case of trial and error with technique. Technique varies greatly I think between application using, Gelish, Eco, shellac and polish pro, and would make sense O.P.I as well. They just get applied a little different. May take some getting used to it.
I agree Peggy. I don't know what's up with the problems and I've contacted an OPI rep about them and she is perplexed as well. Technical error is probably a good guess, also not to be mean or rude. I find the OPI to be one of the easiest lines I've worked with from start to finish.
I have not had any problems with it at all. I have been wearing it since I got my kit in the beginning of November. All my clients love it as well. As a test, I even kept in on for 3 weeks.