BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: gels help please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in school and I have a trouble with gel nails. Most of my nails you can tell there is a sag where the form is placed. My question is would my problem be my nail form application or something im doing wrong with the gel application? Thanks
try popping the circle peice out of the middle of the form and placing it on the back of the form to help hold your form more sturdy.
if you are doing really short short nails with forms try doing that same thing only let it hang over the edge a bit to give you a ledge from the center of the nail form to the free edge of the nails.
also make sure you are taking the corners off the nails so the form fits nice and snug up to the fe. also pushing in on the edges of the nail folds to secure it well..
perhaps try a stiffer brand of nail forms like tammy taylor or united nails brands.. they have a lot of stiffness to them
currently im using young nails samples but I also have some cnd and ibd
I can send you tutorial on proper form placement.All I need is your e-mail address
thank you my email address is [email protected]
Lana, Please can I have a copy of the tutorial?, I am still struggling with my form placement too, and in school I had a hair teacher teaching nails Sad.
nailsbyarie at gmail.com
Thank you!.

Kristen where did you get your YN samples?
Thank you.
I've had the best luck using reusable teflon forms with gel. I always seem to get a sag with the paper forms.

http://pro.opi.com/Product.aspx?mm=2&bm=...&mfr=AC930

I've used the same 6 forms for 13 years.
Gemma Lambert shows how to place a form very well in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8lLrrA2MY
Honey..Ive been doing nails for almost 12 years, and I still cannot do a confident set of forms!! They always make me sweat! lol :lol:

I honestly belive that either you are good at forms...or you are not. Maybe if I practiced over and over again...I might pick it up...but I would rather slap a tip on there so I know I will have a proper nail in the end. I always file about half of the well down , so it doesnt take long to blend it in. But when I just need to repair one or two..I will use a form. I think maybe I have a mental block when it comes to doing a full set?? I dunno...I just dont mess with them. But if you can learn how to do them..and do them well...then youve got it made!!

Hey ParkNails !!!!! Where in Ohio are you from?? I LOVE your pic..me and a couple of my friends are totally gonna do that next week when they come in!!! They are really cute...that blue is awesome Smile
I love using forms with glitters as i love that the underside is just as pretty as the top.
Lana I would love a copy of that tutorial, or anyone else that got it that wants to forward it Smile
[email protected]
Quote:anointdhndz
> Honey..Ive been doing nails for almost 12 years, and I still cannot do a confident
> set of forms!! They always make me sweat! lol :lol:
>
> I honestly belive that either you are good at forms...or you are not. Maybe
> if I practiced over and over again...I might pick it up...but I would rather
> slap a tip on there so I know I will have a proper nail in the end. I always
> file about half of the well down , so it doesnt take long to blend it in. But
> when I just need to repair one or two..I will use a form. I think maybe I have
> a mental block when it comes to doing a full set?? I dunno...I just dont mess
> with them. But if you can learn how to do them..and do them well...then youve
> got it made!!
>
> Hey ParkNails !!!!! Where in Ohio are you from?? I LOVE your pic..me and a
> couple of my friends are totally gonna do that next week when they come in!!!
> They are really cute...that blue is awesome Smile

Hi Tracy!!
I am now more confident using nail forms than tips(weird), I find that I can not properly choose sizes when using tips :?, I think I have a mental block too lol! :lol:
Tracy, we are kind of close I think? yay!.
If you do the snowflakes post pics I want to see them.
Thank you! Big Grin :wink: [/code]
While I am very slow when it comes to forms, I feel more confident with them for the most part than i do tips!!

Actually, i feel like with gel, I prefer to use a tip-however I feel like Im terrible with tips, fitting them properly and not getting glue everywhere is a big challenge for me...

as far as the gel sag goes, what excactly do you mean...are we talking like a 'dip' in the nail like say from a side view?
Quote:Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> Gemma Lambert shows how to place a form very well in this video
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8lLrrA2MY

Thank you Donna!.
Big Grin
Quote:you'vegotnail! :
> I've had the best luck using reusable teflon forms with gel. I always seem
> to get a sag with the paper forms.
>
> http://pro.opi.com/Product.aspx?mm=2&bm=...&mfr=AC930
>
> I've used the same 6 forms for 13 years.

This is an interesting option!, thank you You'vegotnail.
I am going to check them Big Grin .
Yes from the side view there is a dip. Is this common with beginners. Not all of my nails have them maybe 2 out of 10 but I would love for none of them to have a dip. Did I mention im doing these on myself? Thanks for all the input so far Smile
im a newb, and get the sag too! I think I experience it more using tips.
Tammy Taylor and United Nails forms were mentioned. Both have 3 different forms- a form that fits most clients- round FE, one for more oval nails- oval FE, and one for more square or flatter nails- square FE. These forms do make a difference.
Quote:Tn Nail Lady :
> Tammy Taylor and United Nails forms were mentioned. Both have 3 different forms-
> a form that fits most clients- round FE, one for more oval nails- oval FE,
> and one for more square or flatter nails- square FE. These forms do make a
> difference.

Thank you for this info! Big Grin.
As I am just starting I will just try to stick with the one that fits the most, but I will experiment with the others too in the future.
Hi Lana, if you would be able to send me the tutorial i would be grateful as well. I am having a hard time trying to get them on right. D

[email protected]

BornToBling

I am way more confident using forms than I am tips, but I started with forms then learned tips after....I kind of learned backwards (gel on form, then on tip THEN Acrylic on form then on tip) it just takes practice... lots and lots of practice... and putting them on yourself is wicked difficult.
Forms can be a real bugger until you "get it"! I always fought with the very stiff forms with the metal hoop. I moved on to a softer aluminum form that is probably no longer available. I got them from No Lift Nails many years ago and still have them. No, it does not look like they sell them any more Sad YIPPEE though I see they still sell the Spill Stopper, which used to be called the little blue island - I can not do nails without it! Anyway to get back to the forms... I learned to use paper forms, trimming the area that butts up to the hyponyicum (sp??) when needed. I also take the little push-out dot and place it UNDER the form right up to the area that butts up against the free edge. This helps stiffen the form just that little bit that makes everything better. Try both the horseshoe and rectangle forms, you may find one works better than the other for you. Peel it off and roll the form before applying it.

I have a few boxes of tips for years and years. I used to tip everyone, but once I got the hang of the forms I moved away from tips. I found sculpting better in the long term. When they broke a sculpt, it usually snaps right at the point where the sculpt meets the new free edge growth. I can then adjust length to make things look good, or sculpt and extend that one nail.