BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: FILL LINES, Help please!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want input on avoiding fill lines, any and every tip under the sun would be hugely appreciated!!!!!
If you are blending your cuticle area with the natural nail you shouldn't have any fill lines, unless you're using a different color. What primer are you using? Also NSI makes a product to help hide fill lines, but I forget what it's called. Good luck!
I've found a good protien bonder will help cover them also. When I'm applying it, I'll let some of it run under the edges of the lift and it will help reseal the edges to the nail somewhat. Also, a coverage product works wonders..... :wink:
Donna, I find the same thing with Linkage. I'm good at getting the fill lines gone or I have no fill lines at all, but if there's even a tiny bit, the Linkage sort of seeps under and takes care of the line.

Best. Product. Ever.
if the fill line had a pinkish-reddish hue, is that drill damage from the nss?
yes, that's file damage. A fill line is white, PERIOD. The only other way it could be a different color and not be file damage is for polish to have seeped up under the edge of the product when it was being removed from the nail.
If you are having to worry about fill lines, I would urge you to check your application techniques. Fill lines happen when you have lifting. Lifting is primarily caused by a flaw in your prep or application. Of course there is the occasional "oops" that happens, but, if it is a chronic situation, you should, instead of finding a way to hide them, it would be easier for you to fix the initial cause... make sense?
StellaAmante :
> if the fill line had a pinkish-reddish hue, is that drill damage from the nss?

Yes, that is not a fill line, that is a 'ring of fire' Much more common. It is caused by over filing, or using the wrong bit or angle while filing.

Avoiding fill lines, as others mentioned, means avoiding lifting. And knowing how to remove it when it happens.
also if you inherited them from god knows where, it could be mma having been used which is hard to file.
be sure and file behind the lifed area and not so much on it so you dont make it worse.
file the area flat to the nailbed
line out is the above mentioned product and it works best with an acid primer
and i too find that using primer at the fill line works great
make sure you have your client on two week schedule to reduce the amount of time they are out of balance which reduces the risk of them causing some lifting

yes i think i repeated some of the above now that i have typed it all...lol

try using reverse method on application it helps keep the cuticle area nice and flat
Hey girlie...I wanted to chime in on this one. Now...I may get some slack for this..but what Ive been doing lately is soaking my clients in acetone for a little bit until about half the product comes off. Then I just file the nails flush w/ the natural nail...and you never have a fill line!.

I remember way back that others were doing this...but everyone had to comment against it and say that you get horrible product breakdown that way. But I dont at all...and my ladies are NOT easy on their hands.

So, you might want to give it a try. I use CND acrylic and it maybe takes an extra 10-15 mins...(if you warm the acetone) and then the fill is soooo much easier to do...in my opinion. And.,.youre not filing, filing, and filing that nail.
Ok...hope this helps ya !! :roll:
Tracy this seems like a really great idea..Id like to hear others opinions on this.. are you doing it for the sake of easier filing and blending? Have you ever tried it on nss acrylic??
NailNV :
> If you are blending your cuticle area with the natural nail you shouldn't have
> any fill lines, unless you're using a different color. What primer are you
> using? Also NSI makes a product to help hide fill lines, but I forget what
> it's called. Good luck!

You are referring to Line Out: http://www.nsinails.com/products/line-ou...raser.html
I remember back in the day when I used the cotton method to take off the polish from a client's nails. It would be kinda similiar to what anointdhndz is talking about doing. I found that if the acetone seeped up under the lift, I had to keep chasing the lift all the way across the nail.
Obviously it works for her, and I wasn't trying to file the entire nail down, just trying to get rid of the dang lift! I can see NOW where it would have been faster and easier to file the nail bed down flush and eliminate the entire problem.
i dont like putting anyone in acetone any more than i have to..but hey if it works for you, more power to you. not dogging anyones ways. but i do think its not a great idea, it does have the ability to break down the service as you stated. the line out kinda does that very same thing only its target specific. and a little bottle goes a very long way.
learning proper filing and application techniques is the way to work efficiently. and use of products to assist.
just remember it is very easy to overfile and cause more problems, i would look at your product also if it is continually happening and your prep and application methods are spot on. some products dont wear well and they are not all created equal
Lift does not only happen from poor application. It also happens when you have pickers and pushers and prying etc, so yes you do need to have the right steps for little fill lines. One thing I do is dab a small bit of liquid where the fill line is, this is after I have filled and blended it in to the nail with out filing the natural nail. It will help the L&P move in to this gap and seal it.
Personally I believe the prolonged use of acetone will indeed produce product breakdown. Think about the fact that acrylic will soak off in acetone, that is a given. When it does, it is breaking down the bond of the molecules or whatever it might be I am not a chemist! - breaking up and swelling the product for ease of removal. I just do not think this is a good idea. I used to nip all loose acrylic until I learned to file just in front of the lifted area, where it is still intact. This will allow the lifted area to more or less just flake right off. It takes a certain level of practice to hold the file at an angle to get this to work. I know people who use efiles use this method all the time. It is easier with an efile than a hand file. NSI's Line Out is certainly another option and a great product I have used in the past.

The problem with nipping is the more you do, the more you need to do, and it can damage the nail plate. I had one who lifted 5+ nails every 2 weeks, but she was just about the only one and the worst and most consistent. If you have more than a few clients who regularly have lifting, you might want to reexamine your application especially near the cuticle area. If you can run your nail from the cuticle towards the free edge and feel a bump, then you have too much product there and this could be your problem.