BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: shellac question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For those of you who use Shellac,do you use the pads that come with it for soaking off or have you tried any other mathod,Thanks
I have tried both the Shellac and the Gellish. With both of them I do the acetone on a cotton pad and wrap with foil for 10 minutes. I am still just playing around with the products at home and haven't started in a salon yet so I'm not sure how I will do it once I am back to work.

I don't use the pads, it's too expensive. I use little bowls with acetone and have my clients soak in that. Takes me no time at all having to do the cotton/foil thing and in 4-5 mins I can gently scrape off Shellac. HTH!
I use the cotton/foil method. I have tried and tried to use the Creative wraps. I find them too "stiff"...they don't conform well to the nail. Plus, I also think they are expensive... JMO
The Hands Down wraps work really well, much better than the shellac wraps, and cheaper.
I found the wraps from CND hard to use as I have tendon and arthritis pain in the right hand. I use the cotton/foil method. I find Shellac soaks off in 3-4 min for light colors and 5-7 min for darker shades. The french soaks off in 3. Gelish takes me a few min more - but still get the polish off in under 8 min.
I know that the complaint is that the wraps can be expensive- but I personally think that adding in $3 to my service is WELL worth it Wink

Cotton and foil will work ok, but not as well as the remover wraps- the wraps REALLY DO pinpoint the acetone exposure to the SHELLAC itself, and keeps the fingers and nails from drying out excessively.

The only thing I will ask you to PLEASSSSEEEE not do, is soak in a bowl. Think about how much acetone you are wasting for one, and for 2- it will dry out your hands to the point that it becomes painful- you can actually shrink the keratin in your nail plate- and I speak from EXPERIENCE Smile It took a week for my fingers not to be tender- and I had been doing it for a year on myself thinking it was faster, and it was only my hands so no big deal-

I would like to give you ladies a heads up as well: CND will be certifying all salons listed on the Shellac Salon Finder this fall, and you will need to be using the system as it is suggested- The CND UV Lamp, CND SHellac base, color, and top coat, and either remover wraps or the cotton/foil method. Smile
I use the remover wraps in the exact same manner as the CND wrap system. It's a very tiny piece of cotton placed onto ONLY the exposed area of shellac. It stays on that area of shellac with the foil. It's exactly the same as the wraps. I had the wraps and used them until my hand pain was too severe... so I gave them away.

Nevermind
I do the cotton and foil method also. (I've heard it called "baked potatos") For the cotton I use Webril's cotten bands. I cut them into little tiny peices and they work perfect cause they are flat.
Heather, the Brisa lamp will be acceptable, won't it?
I find the wrapps awkward. If my clients wond be back or are on holidays i sent them home with a pack of wraps. I prefer the foil and cotton method as some clients have tiney nails and some have big nails. So i can make little tiny balls of cotton or really big balls of cotton and never have do go the cutticle or finger. Experiment and see what works for you!

sobeit

I use the double bowl with hot water in the bottom bowl. For me its much much faster, no wrapping time, no unwrapping time. Add a little oil to the soak to avoid excess drying or the skin and nails. The keratin shrink factor? Never heard of that being long term, as it happen everytime we put our hands in water, the keratin swells and then shrinks when it dries. Every time. This is why oil during and between is important for frequent soaks. And I want to add that I see zero difference in acetone on the nail plate be it with a saturated wrap keeping acetone right on the nail plate so to speak even though it will no doubt leak to the surrounding skin in the same wrap, or be it in a bowl with just enough acetone to cover the nails. Its still acetone on the nail no matter how you look at it. There isnt one method that is less or more drying to the nail itself.

HeatherDavis :
> I know that the complaint is that the wraps can be expensive- but I personally
> think that adding in $3 to my service is WELL worth it Wink
>
> Cotton and foil will work ok, but not as well as the remover wraps- the wraps
> REALLY DO pinpoint the acetone exposure to the SHELLAC itself, and keeps the
> fingers and nails from drying out excessively.
>
> The only thing I will ask you to PLEASSSSEEEE not do, is soak in a bowl. Think
> about how much acetone you are wasting for one, and for 2- it will dry out
> your hands to the point that it becomes painful- you can actually shrink the
> keratin in your nail plate- and I speak from EXPERIENCE Smile It took a week
> for my fingers not to be tender- and I had been doing it for a year on myself
> thinking it was faster, and it was only my hands so no big deal-
>
> I would like to give you ladies a heads up as well: CND will be certifying
> all salons listed on the Shellac Salon Finder this fall, and you will need
> to be using the system as it is suggested- The CND UV Lamp, CND SHellac base,
> color, and top coat, and either remover wraps or the cotton/foil method. Smile

So may I ask how they are going to certify shops? Just curious.
I've used the CND wraps and I like them. I've also used the foil/cotton. Both work great if you ask me.
The one thing I do add to my soak off is to brush oil around the cuticle area to help keep the cuticles a little more moist while wrapped. I have VERY dry skin and the acetone was making it worse. So on myself I use oil around the cuticle and finger tips under the nail. It works GREAT for me.
My only issue with the foil/cotton method is that I don't feel it looks very professional. But again that's just how I feel. Big Grin
Quote:
I would like to give you ladies a heads up as well: CND will be certifying all salons listed on the Shellac Salon Finder this fall, and you will need
to be using the system as it is suggested- The CND UV Lamp, CND SHellac base, color, and top coat, and either remover wraps or the cotton/foil method.

What are they going to do, send someone to each and every salon in the world and verify that each nail tech is using the entire system?

I don't get it. :?
There is at some point we must run cost through our heads, cotton foil method makes sense. And it's not damaging, to charge a huge up-price for removal might be a deterrent for the actual service as a whole.
Here is the official release (thank you to Holly Schippers for the original post via Facebook)

US CND Shellac Salon Certification
by FingerNailFixer on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 12:42pm
CND has made some improvements to our Shellac Find A Salon Locator by adding maps, driving directions, salon hours and other user-friendly features. We are sending an email in early July out to all Salons in our database asking that they review their current salon information to ensure accuracy as well as provide some additional information such as salon hours. In addition, we are requiring each salon that wants to be listed on our Shellac Find A Salon Locator to agree to the following terms & conditions:

1. Your salon uses the Brisa or CND UV Lamp for all Shellac services
2. Your salon uses CND Shellac base Coat, Shellac, Color Coat and Shellac Top Coat for all Shellac services.
3. Your salon does not mix or pair CND Shellac with ANY non-Shellac products such as base coats, top coats or color coats.
4. Your salon does not file the natural nail surface during application or removal of CND Shellac.
5. Your salon does not soak clients in a bowl of acetone to remove CND Shellac.

Once the terms and conditions are accepted and registration is complete, the salon will be listed and referred via cnd.com as a CND Shellac salon and are eligible for Shellac Certification status. Select salons will receive an "unscheduled" visit to evaluate their Shellac services as well as suggest tips and tricks for providing the ultimate Shellac service. If they are following all of the guidelines above, they will remain on our Shellac Find A Salon Locator. If they also meet the following requirements, they will be elevated to a "certified Shellac Salon":
1. Salon performs a manicure using ScrubFresh to P.E.P the natural nail prior to a Shellac application.
2. Salon uses 99% IPA to remove the tacky layer at the end of a Shellac service.
3. Salon uses SolarOil to condition the nail and cuticle area'
4. Salon uses pure acetone and Shellac Wraps (or Foil & Cotton) for remove of CND Shellac.

The benefits of becoming a "Certified Shellac Salon" include:
* CND Shellac Certification status on the Shellac Find a Salon Locator
* Free CND Shellac Salon Merchandising Materials
* Free Certified Shellac Salon Window Cling
* Eligibility for other business building tolls and opportunities

Salons will be visited based on location and other factors. There is no guarantee that a salon will be visited
I use foil and cotton pads. I cut the cotton pads to roughly the shape of the nail so I am not wasting acetone or splashing it around on the skin, and cut strips of foil to be just what is needed and no more. This works perfectly for me and is far cheaper and no more difficult than using the CND wraps. I think they are a rip-off, to be honest.
I'm listed on the website, but I've not received this email yet. Are they being sent out yet?
Laura, if you did not receive the email please go to cnd.com and re-register your salon!

Here is a video that might help with getting the wraps on for those who are interested:
http://youtu.be/CKq4MWgUH_U

Cotton and foil is a suitable replacement if you have arthritis, back-ordered wraps, etc. the main concern is not soaking via the bowl method. LOL at baked potato that just cracked me up!!

Hope this helps Smile
I am finding it very hard to remove the gel polish. I have used the wraps, the cotton/foil and soaking in a bowl of acetone. And still end up very gentlly filing it off. I have watched the videos and read your post on here but it just doesn't work that way for me. One time it came off the way it should but has not since. I just don't know what I am doing wrong! Any suggestions? :cry:
Trish Mullins :
> I am finding it very hard to remove the gel polish. I have used the wraps,
> the cotton/foil and soaking in a bowl of acetone. And still end up very gentlly
> filing it off. I have watched the videos and read your post on here but it
> just doesn't work that way for me. One time it came off the way it should
> but has not since. I just don't know what I am doing wrong! Any suggestions?
> :cry:

Trish, are you using Shellac or another brand? I have found that on a few new clients that claim they have Shellac-once I have done the wraps/cotton foil like I usually do, it doesn't budge. With further questions and showing them my bottles and procedures, I learn it wasn't Shellac-some brands you do have to lightly file the top layer off BEFORE soaking, or it just won't work.

As far as the original question-I use cotton/foil, or the Hands Down version of the remover pads. They are cheaper than the Sehllac remover pads, and I feel they work better. (Sorry CND!) I can make them more secure and I have found that sometimes with the cotton/foil method on my more fidgety clients, the acetone evaporates more quickly than the remover wraps. Don't do the soaking in a bowl option-I tried that a few times and it wasn't good-natural nail peeled a bit...