BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Couple of technique questions...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When you file thickened nails and get all that feathery stuff sticking out from the end, what do you do?

I have had so many clients with cuticles that have grown out quite far over the nail plate that won't budge. When I use a pusher, it barely budges. It's not just the thin stuff that just peels of in lil pieces, it's HARDENED stuff that's practically GLUED to the plate. What do you do with this? I have tried 3 types of cuticle remover, but sometimes it doesn't release from the nail plate.

Rockstar toes: do you use base gel under the builder like normal? Do you file the top layer of gel to smooth it before using finish gel, or do you even use a finish gel?

THANKS LADIES!!!
With the frays I will take my file and turn horizontal and file from the bottom up from left to right...if that makes sense.

With thick cuticles make sure it's not live tissue. If it's not then using Blue Cross cuticle remover and let it soak in for a bit then push back the cuticle. I prefer a metal pusher. Have you tried nipping the extra cuticle away? That's a tough one...

As for rockstars I do use a base, I do file to smooth if it's necessary, and I do use a finishing gel.

Hope this helps Smile
It sounds like you may need a better pusher. It makes ALL the difference if the pusher is sharp and not thick. With a good pusher I don't have to mess with removers. I do use a cuticle remover on toes though.

As for rockstar toes. I a base/bonding type gel, then color and glitter, or mix a flexible builder with glitter (which I rarely do anymore). I use Options Clear over the top and the viscosity is perfect and smooth, no finish file needed.
Sunflower402 :
> With the frays I will take my file and turn horizontal and file from the bottom
> up from left to right...if that makes sense.
>
> With thick cuticles make sure it's not live tissue. If it's not then using
> Blue Cross cuticle remover and let it soak in for a bit then push back the
> cuticle. I prefer a metal pusher. Have you tried nipping the extra cuticle
> away? That's a tough one...
>
> As for rockstars I do use a base, I do file to smooth if it's necessary, and
> I do use a finishing gel.
>
> Hope this helps Smile

Forgive me for asking but I need to because I'm a newer tech. How do you know if it's "alive"? Is it when the cuticle is still firmly attached to the plate and not white/starting to detach?

Thanks... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Well, if it's live tissue it will be more like skin color and be thicker/soft like skin. If it's just dead, it will be whitish, thin and should peel off the pail plate like a thin sheet. That is the only way I can describe it. I think you will know when you see it. Sometimes the live cuticle will also "peel" up when you use the pusher if they have thickened cuticle, but you shouldn't clip that IMO.

My issue is just that some people have this dead cuticle that just won't budge! I have a good pusher too...maybe I'm not using it right? It's the hoof shaped one by OPI with the scraping edge on the bottom. Love it! (until now, lol) :roll:
Erika_in_Boise :
> Well, if it's live tissue it will be more like skin color and be thicker/soft
> like skin. If it's just dead, it will be whitish, thin and should peel off
> the pail plate like a thin sheet. That is the only way I can describe it. I
> think you will know when you see it. Sometimes the live cuticle will also "peel"
> up when you use the pusher if they have thickened cuticle, but you shouldn't
> clip that IMO.
>
> My issue is just that some people have this dead cuticle that just won't budge!
> I have a good pusher too...maybe I'm not using it right? It's the hoof shaped
> one by OPI with the scraping edge on the bottom. Love it! (until now, lol)
> :roll:

Hmm; I have the same issues sometimes. I'm prefer cuticle remover vs. cuticle softener; seems like when I use softener, the cuticle doesn't always come off the plate even if it's whitish. Maybe I need new tools.

Any advice?