BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: NEED a pedi soak that kills germs. What do you use??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am re-starting as a nail tech after 6 yrs out. I asked friends to volunteer to let me do mani/pedis on them. I did the first one today and she had VERY smelly feet. Not like infection stinky, but sandals/not washing well STINKY. SO...please tell me WHAT you use as pedi soak or what you may suggest for this issue. Honestly, I did a very thorough job on her and she STILL smelled like sandals after the whole pedi. Obviously, I would never want a client walking out stinky, so what should I buy as pedi soak that will kill germs/smell? Thanks!

It you think about it a whirlpool pedi tub is a whirlpool/hot tub, right? I use what is used in hot tubs to kill germs, bacteria, etc. Check with your local pool/hot tub supplier. They have something that will work and is very inexpensive.

As far as the smell I bought some Dr. Scholl's deodorizer that I can spray on their feet that will help with the odor. You can do it before, during or after their service.

HTH!!
Anyone else? What brand of pedi soak do you use? How do you prep the toes for a pedi?
Put some white vinegar in that water girl....her toes be stankin' and *pastably* full of the beginning of athlete's foot fungus.

ROFL..ah, me.

Anywho, I'd agree with the spray, or just a nice hefty dose of epsom salts (per Dr. Oz)..epsom as you know has a tendency to disinfect and deoderize but it's drying...so add some grapeseed oil into your massage at the end to re-moisturize those footsies.

Hope this helped. ; )
I've also heard that regular old tea bags in the water help to deodorize the feet and the best thing is they're inexpensive. I believe I read somewhere that it's the tannins in the tea that help with foot odor. You can also use white vinegar or baking soda, but not both at the same time. HTH!

Tea stains!! If you are using a whirlpool pedi tub I would be careful what you put in it. Check with your manufacturer before putting misc. items in your bath.

Using products that are commercial/hospital grade is going to ensure that you have provided the safest service possible for your clients. Cutting corners and using products not designed for our industry could lead to other issues down the road.

I'm sorry but Dr. Oz has given out so much misinformation about our industry that I would be very hesitant in trying anything he says. The producers on his staff don't fully do their research and their only goal is getting tv ratings.
Frankly, if you're going to chide about using stuff "not approved for the Industry", then you better ALL throw away all of your scrubs, soaks, and massage oils that you've made by hand because I'm betting, some of you use epsom salts in your mixes, I know I do. I'm just trying to help, not promote quackery. It's amazing how quickly your Knowledge expands when you take the time to actually do the research on homeopathic cures and remedies. How do you think our ancestors cured their simple aches and pains? They turned to the earth. Plants, roots, oils, extractions, teas, soaks. Most of our medicines now, are made from the substances of plants and animals, synthetically reproduced in mass quantities. I think you become a much better Tech when you are able to utilize natural items for your clients....

Now..moving forward about Epsom Salts:

It's (Epsom Salts) a natural, homeopathic cure for aches n' pains, good in the garden to balance magnesium deficiencies in tomatoes, great to mix with substances to make a salt-scrub, countless other uses.

(At the risk of offending the Link Police, here are some links; please note, they are *not* associated with Dr. Oz, LOL):

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/use-eps...-ways.html

http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/The...lts/375049

[url][/url]

Erin it wasn't a personal attack on you. It is just that you should check with the manufacturer when using certain items in whirlpool tubs. I did and found out that you shouldn't use products that have extra oil in them or any sand. This will save you in the end in repairs on your tub. If your tub is white, which mine is, tea could stain it.

Not attacking you or what you were sharing. Just pointing out some things that I've learned.

In refer. to Dr. Oz there have been many times on this board, before youI came, when a lot of us have been very upset with incorrect information about the nail industry that his show aired. I'm not the only one who feels this way about him and many don't watch his show anymore because of it.

I'm sure epsom salts can do a lot and are known to have soothing qualities. I wasn't questioning that at all. Just sharing that Dr. Oz is a show based on tv ratings, not the facts.
I have an old bottle of CND's SpaPedicure "Foaming Sea Soak" that I use for really stinky feet. It smells like Vicks VapoRub, but it works really well.

Now CND has rebranded all their product lines, so this is no longer available under this name but I *think* it might now be the "Marine Mineral Bath" and on the CND website it says it deodorizes - so I'm thinking it's the same or pretty close to their old product. I would recommend it, if it's the same thing. The best thing is it looks like a nice spa treatment, so your clients don't get all embarrassed that they have stinky feet, it just looks like a regular pedi soak, and nobody has to know Wink
idonls :
> Erin it wasn't a personal attack on you. It is just that you should check
> with the manufacturer when using certain items in whirlpool tubs. I did and
> found out that you shouldn't use products that have extra oil in them or any
> sand. This will save you in the end in repairs on your tub. If your tub is
> white, which mine is, tea could stain it.
>
> Not attacking you or what you were sharing. Just pointing out some things that
> I've learned.

Fine enough, I understand how you feel about Dr. Oz.

Anytime I post anything, it's just to help. Smile

You do bring up a good point about the tubs; thanks.
idonls :
> In refer. to Dr. Oz there have been many times on this board, before youI came,
> when a lot of us have been very upset with incorrect information about the
> nail industry that his show aired. I'm not the only one who feels this way
> about him and many don't watch his show anymore because of it.
>
> I'm sure epsom salts can do a lot and are known to have soothing qualities.
> I wasn't questioning that at all. Just sharing that Dr. Oz is a show based
> on tv ratings, not the facts.

Gotcha. Smile
scratchmyback :
> I have an old bottle of CND's SpaPedicure "Foaming Sea Soak" that I use for
> really stinky feet. It smells like Vicks VapoRub, but it works really well.
>
>
> Now CND has rebranded all their product lines, so this is no longer available
> under this name but I *think* it might now be the "Marine Mineral Bath" and
> on the CND website it says it deodorizes - so I'm thinking it's the same or
> pretty close to their old product. I would recommend it, if it's the same
> thing. The best thing is it looks like a nice spa treatment, so your clients
> don't get all embarrassed that they have stinky feet, it just looks like a
> regular pedi soak, and nobody has to know Wink

**So no re-branding as "Stinky Foot Soak?"

Awww...... :lol:
say what yall will girls, I always put one table spoon of BLEACH per gallon of water of tub. NO it doesent dry them out and ive done it for years. thats also how i clean my tub and NO you cant smell it i use ebsomesalts as well and any essential oil i plz and yes i know there are certain oils to avoid. You girls are so critical, do you make 50 thousand a yr doing pedis and nails? then SHUT UP! and BTW yes i do make that much
Would white tea work?
polishedgirl :
> say what yall will girls, I always put one table spoon of BLEACH per gallon
> of water of tub. NO it doesent dry them out and ive done it for years. thats
> also how i clean my tub and NO you cant smell it i use ebsomesalts as well
> and any essential oil i plz and yes i know there are certain oils to avoid.
> You girls are so critical, do you make 50 thousand a yr doing pedis and nails?
> then SHUT UP! and BTW yes i do make that much

Yes, bleach does qualify as a pre-EPA disinfectant known for its excessive causticness (ability to rust tools quickly). It's awesome for tubs, I agree; whaddaya think we all scrub our johns with eh?

Now for the shut up factor...hee hee. :lol:
I use Gena's PediSeptic spray before they place their feet in the water...a through spray will get rid of any stinky feet Smile!

polishedgirl :
> You girls are so critical, do you make 50 thousand a yr doing pedis and nails?

Wow, how rude! Maybe some of us make more than that, not that it's any of your business and I don't care how much money you make. There is no need to be so rude. We are sharing information and that is what this board is about. YES, you can do what you want but that doesn't mean it is in the best interest of your equipment or your client.

Now about bleach. Any tub manufacturer will tell you that bleach is hard on their tubs, the plastic and the pipes. So say what you will but I would never use bleach in my tub. Bleach doesn't kill everything.

It is NOT OK to tell people to SHUT UP. You don't like it, then don't read what is posted.

JulieM :
> Would white tea work?

That might be ok, but I would check with the manufacturer of the your tub.
like shut up is not a known slang thease days! i dident say i left my insterments in the bleach< forgive me girls, thats why i stay off here for the most part. We wont get out furr all ruffled . Have a good evening all!
polishedgirl :
> like shut up is not a known slang thease days! i dident say i left my insterments
> in the bleach< forgive me girls, thats why i stay off here for the most
> part. We wont get out furr all ruffled . Have a good evening all!

Don't be chased away hun. This happens in every Forum when somebody puts up a link, or says some stuff that people don't agree with; un-hunh, there, I said it. Tongue
This post made me think about the one that "enhanced" posted from the show "My strange addiction" After I watched the women with 19ft long nails I saw one that was about a women who takes a bath in bleach everyday.
Wow $50,000? How many hours are you working? WHat else do you do besides nails?
i use dawn antibacterial dish soap! i figured it's safe and gentle enough to clean up oil spills in the ocean and all the poor sea creatures, then i'd bet it's ok to use on people's feet Big Grin i buy the orange scent, people love it! they're always asking what i'm using. plus, it's cheap! i also use it to scrub my implements before i stick them into the disinfectant, so i get a lot of use out of it. and when i send my clients to the sink to wash, MANY of them grab the dawn and wash with it instead of the hand soap, which always cracks me up! :lol:
polishedgirl :

Well, that is the first time I have ever seen someone argue all by themselves, LOL.

As for the essential oils, and to get back on topic, I swear by tea tree oil. When I have feet that smell like rotten cheese, I slather them in tea tree.
Pages: 1 2 3