BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Pedicure Stone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering what everyone uses to remove the cuticle off the nail plate during a pedicure. I find I always have little stragglers that are stubborn. I know some use one of those pink Hindu (or Hindi??) stones but can those be disinfected considering they are porous?

Thanks!
I use a curette
Quoted from the State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology's website, Stat of CA:

MANICURE FACT SHEET
Manicuring is the practice of cutting, trimming, polishing, coloring, tinting or cleansing the nails. It also includes massaging, cleansing, or beautifying the hands or feet.

Q: DO MANICURISTS HAVE TO BE LICENSED?

A: Yes, the Board licenses manicurists and requires them to work only in state licensed salons. Manicurists must have valid manicuring licenses clearly posted at his or her work area.

Q: WHO CAN PERFORM MANICURING SERVICES?

A: Only licensed manicurists or cosmetologists can perform manicuring services.

Q: CAN MANICURISTS WAX OR TWEEZE EYEBROWS?

A: No, only licensed cosmetologists and estheticians are permitted to wax or tweeze eyebrows. If waxing services are provided at your nail salon, ask to see either a cosmetologist or esthetician license.

Q: WHAT OTHER SERVICES ARE NOT WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THE MANICURIST?

A: It is illegal for any licensee to use razor-edged tools or other instrument to remove calluses. Callus removal is not within the scope of the manicurist and cannot be performed in Board-licensed salons.

Q: WHAT ARE SOME TIPS THAT I SHOULD KNOW IF I HAVE NAIL SERVICES PERFORMED AT A SALON?

All instruments must be cleaned and disinfected after each client.
All non-disinfectable items, such as pumice stones, emery boards, buffers, drill bits, and cotton pads, must be disposed of immediately after use upon each client.
Licensees performing services must wash their hands after each client.
Before the service begins, inform the licensee any health conditions you may have or if you are taking any blood-thinning medication (including aspirin).
Leave the salon if you have any doubts about its cleanliness.

I always toss anything porous or give it to the client as it is against health guidelines in BC too.

Strangely enough, the North American School of Podology teaches to use a Footlogix pink stone bit for your e-file when they teach their pedicure course. Those are made of the same material as the Hindi (?) stones and are porous. They teach to disinfect them though.

I'm going to email them and see what they say.

Sooooo...what's everyone using then??

I can't seem to find a good curette Sad
Carmen, I use a sciver bit on my efile, but the feet have to be dry, so do it before you soak them.

Here is a link if you don't know what it is: http://www.ericasata.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=17
Thanks Laura! I actually use my Erica's sciver bit for my nail prep when doing gels. I will definitely incorporate it into my pedis!

Do you just quickly do the cuticle work before soaking and then proceed as normal?
Yes, that's what I would do - I mostly use it for prep when I'm doing gel or gel polish on toes......but if you had a regular pedi that's when you would do it.