BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Source for feathers and stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have a good source or two for those feathers and tinsel strands they're putting in hair?
Thanks!
Our stylist can only find them on ebay.
hairflair.com - I just purchased them for our salon - they are flying off the shelf!!!
Just curious, which ones on hairflairs.com are your top sellers and what are you charging for that service? Thanks
I buy my feathers from fly fishing sites. One good one is WWW://tacklekitz.com

The company is in Canada. Took a while to get my shipment in. BUT, the feathers are WAY cheaper. For instance, I got about 100 feathers for $5. I used to get them on eBay but they are way too expensive. So is hairflair. I did, however, get my micro clamps on eBay. They were 500 for $10 (that includes shipping).

I have made so much money on feathers! They are incredibly popular in my town. Rumor has it that they are going to be banned at school. But, I'll save that gripe for another time lol.
And, my Salon charges $10 each or 3 for $25. I live in a rural small town, so if you're in a bigger town, you can probably get a lot more for them.
NailsByJaneen :
> I buy my feathers from fly fishing sites. One good one is WWW://tacklekitz.com
>
> The company is in Canada. Took a while to get my shipment in. BUT, the feathers
> are WAY cheaper. For instance, I got about 100 feathers for $5. I used to get
> them on eBay but they are way too expensive. So is hairflair. I did, however,
> get my micro clamps on eBay. They were 500 for $10 (that includes shipping).
>
>
> I have made so much money on feathers! They are incredibly popular in my town.
> Rumor has it that they are going to be banned at school. But, I'll save that
> gripe for another time lol.

I know this is probably a silly question :oops: but what are you doing with them? Are you making earrings? Or hair pieces?

Just curious! I just bought some gorgeous peacock feather earrings and love them!
Something that I did not know until recently, Pretty sad that they actually kill the poultry for thier feathers and cant even use their bodies for meat or anything else useful. One of those things that make you go hmmmmm....

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/06/20/f...ion/42888/
Thanks guys!
I know a hair stylist that's interested in providing this service and she wasn't sure where to get the supplies.
I am curious though: do you have to have a cosmo license to do these?
Just askin'!
Smile
KaiylaHilton :
> Something that I did not know until recently, Pretty sad that they actually
> kill the poultry for thier feathers and cant even use their bodies for meat
> or anything else useful. One of those things that make you go hmmmmm....
>
> http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/06/20/f...on-without-
> compassion/42888/

Kaila, I'm glad you posted this. Ever since I heard about how these feathers are "harvested", I've boycotted them. Beauty is not worth the waste of these animals.

I'm looking for some artificial feathers, though--I've heard they exist and are good quality and pretty. As soon as I find some, I'll be seeing if my coworker can put short ones in my hair. Smile
http://www.blingstrands.com has tinsel, feathers of both kinds and hair gems
nailartist -I know A LOT of places have boycotted the feathers, and posted the information up about how they are "harvested" and let their customers know and make their own decision. They said that they did not want to withhold this information from their customers as their customers put their trust into them. It is very admirable for people and businesses to put the animals before their pocketbook JMHO. I also heard about and have seen the artificial feathers, and they are really pretty. I dont know the manufacturer name, but will pass it along when I am able to get it.
You can find the synthetic feathers on eBay....they are cheaper than the real ones too :-)
just remember synthetic feathers wont hold up to flat irons curling irons and extended wash and drys...
Thank you, Kaiyla! You beat me to it.

It surprises (and kind of sickens) me that people who wouldn't dream of wearing fur are totally okay with feather extensions.

Go synthetic! They look just as nice and are cruelty free.