BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: side effects of acrylic?? help please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using NSI acrylic with the spa liquid and have used this many times. 4 weeks ago while doing my own nails I was a bit slap happy and not concentrating like I should have and got some of the liquid from the brush on my skin. I didnt give it another thought but a few hours later my fingers started to itch and then a lot later the skin around my nail and about an inch down became crazy itchy, from there the itchies lasted a day or two but it wasnt that bad and then the skin peeled. i thought better be a bit more careful. well I was doing a client and I didnt think I got any on my hand at all! but later on in the day my finger tips started getting itchy again......So my question is has this happened to anyone else and if yes did it stop or have I developed a allergy to this..Im doing acrylics tonight and think this time I will wear gloves.....By the way Im not messy or spilling it anywhere and I couldnt understand how it affected me the second time..any input would be grateful thank you
interesting for sure. When you cleaned your brush, once you were done. Did you hold the paper towel (or whatever you use) in your hand while wiping the brush? I know I used to always do that to squeeze as much liquid out of the brush before putting it away. Then I found out how bad that is for us.
I've never had a reaction so I can't help you there. Sorry. I hope you figure out what's going on real soon.
OMG.. I think you may be on to something as the worst finger was my ring finger and thumb..will take notice how I clean the brush next time...thank youTanya
Your welcome. Smile it's those types of things we always miss huh? lol

I really should thank Vicki Peters for that tip. Smile She talked about that and many other little things I didn't even think of in one of her classes.
If it was primarily those two fingers you may also still be working with the product too wet. Practice your ratio, and if it's been a while take a class to help you brush up on your application Smile
My guess is that the first time it happened, you didn't wash the monomer off your hands. Those symptoms can occur if you leave it on your skin. The second time, I'd chalk up to working too wet and it getting on your brush (like Erika mentioned) or to other habits with your wet brush that you may have that you don't pay attention to (like Angela mentioned.) Another good reason, besides infection control, to wash your hands between clients. Smile

The very first thing I learned in nail school, when it came to my acrylic brush, was to never touch the bristles, whether they were wet or dry. You get your own oils on the bristles, and, more importantly, you start to over-expose yourself to the monomer, which can lead to allergy. And then poof! No more acrylic nails for you!

Good luck and I hope this helps!
Tbaglette :
> I have been using NSI acrylic with the spa liquid and have used this many times.
> 4 weeks ago while doing my own nails I was a bit slap happy and not concentrating
> like I should have and got some of the liquid from the brush on my skin. I
> didnt give it another thought but a few hours later my fingers started to itch
> and then a lot later the skin around my nail and about an inch down became
> crazy itchy, from there the itchies lasted a day or two but it wasnt that bad
> and then the skin peeled. i thought better be a bit more careful. well I was
> doing a client and I didnt think I got any on my hand at all! but later on
> in the day my finger tips started getting itchy again......So my question is
> has this happened to anyone else and if yes did it stop or have I developed
> a allergy to this..Im doing acrylics tonight and think this time I will wear
> gloves.....By the way Im not messy or spilling it anywhere and I couldnt understand
> how it affected me the second time..any input would be grateful thank you

I have been having this same problem with NSI Attration after using it for 3 years, but only when I do my own. I have noticed it is worse if my product is too wet when I am applying it. If I make my ball a little dryer I don't have a problem. I learned that from a Doug Schoon article that says when it is to wet about 10 hours ofter one of the stages of curing takes place (you would have to read it my memory isn't that good LOL).
Hope that helps!
My own experience was that I was allergic to the monomer when that started happening...and it just got worse. I wore gloves to get myself through it, and then switched to hard gel because I don't (so far) react to that. I also remember someone had an issue with holding their wooden brush handle...the monomer seeped up into it over time, so even though it appeared dry on the outside, it was still exposing monomer to her hand.

Hope this helps!
You may want to check you MSDS sheet or call NSI and ask them about it. And about over exposure effects.
Thank you everyone.......
I dont touch the bristles of the brush EVER as the oils on your fingers may get on them. I pinch the brush between a cloth paper thingy to clean then hang till it drys...I wash my hands after every client but I was the only one I did that day as it was my day off and who knows how thorough i was ( I cant remember), the next time that happened she was my last client for the day so maybe I wasnt as soapy as I should have been but since the last time I have been scrubbing my hands and if I think I have got anything on them I was straight away. but will use gloves next full set. I use hard gel as well as acrylic.
I have been overexposed, but to polymer. Have you tried cortisone to get it to clear up? If your hands are irritated and peely they can't defend themselves as well against infection.
Hi,
Now I have noticed that my little finger nail is showing signs of onycholsis. do you suspect this could be from the itchys from acrylic???
I know you guys are not doctors but with the years of experiance Im sure someone will know whats going on..
Another thing to consider is the fact that your using an odorless monomer. Those have a higher risk of allergy because the sticky layer on top is uncured product and repeated exposure to that sticky layer can lead to an allergy.

Also, as there is no odor, you may not be as careful as you would be if you had that warning of the smell to let you know you are being overexposed.

Definitely wear gloves. Once your allergic, there is no un-doing it. It will only get worse.
Angela - consider me thanked! Thanks!

Over exposure to monomer is common. When applying the liquid it is important not to get cuticles wet. Many techs use big brushes and soak the cuticles - this is not good. Touching your brush - which I see many do in classes - will also cause a reaction over time. We commonly try to press the bristles together, pick out stuck acrylic etc. I usaully fold my paper table towel over the brush and press as I pull it out to clean it before I put it away. I never touch it with my fingers. So be careful and think about all the times you do get liquid on your skin and don't pay attention to it. Laying your arm on your table towel where you wipe as you work and laying your brush down on the wet towel and picking it back up agian when its sticky are things we don't even think about that can cause over exposure. I also make sure I wash my hands after I finish. We tend to lean out hands on our face while relaxing and I have found that I get red on my face where i placed my hand if I don't wash. When you have been around acrylic for as long as I have you naturally get over exposed more easily. Although I am barely doing acrylic anymore its everywhere in my life, the shows, classes, salons, cabinet at home - can't get away from it! With gels the dust is heavier and sits on the hands longer, (acrylic dust is lighter and floats in the air more) so some gel techs end up with contact dermatitus in between the fingers and on the skin from heavy gel dust. Sometimes its so bad they can no longer do gels. So take a fresh look at your habits and see if there is something you can change to head off over exposure to the chemicals we work with.
Vicki