BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Do you agree with this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I stumbled across this blog browsing the web.

http://www.larrygaynor.com/index.php/201...confusion/

Do you agree that these brands are "impostors." I think its interesting to learn that these brands he listed don't handle their own manufacturing. That makes me a little more hopeful to try a "China brand" sog's. I've been eyeing them on ebay, but I have to be in the mood to potentially loose money before I buy from China. Curiosity can be expensive at times :wink:. Glitter & rhinestones I figure you cant go wrong, but even if a company has good ratings it's probably mostly from non pros who don't know the difference. Anyways I see what he means sort of I think it was a little harsh. I felt like NailPro was blamed for having advertisers. Any thoughts?
You know he's mentioning names by Companies I know, like Young Nails and Light Elegance. I'm incredibly confused. I would have to see the June Issue to know if those "imposters" he's talking about are actually that the Companies don't "make" their own lines which from what I understand of YN and LE, they absolutely do.

I'm incredibly confused now. Confusedhock:
I don't know about all of these brands. But I do know that many companies may not actually manufacture their own products but rather outsource it as a more cost effective method of production. But that doesn't make it any less their brand or their product. Most private label companies will not only put your own label on their product but will also create custom formulas for their clients.

When I had my chocolate business I found several manufacturers that could take MY recipes and manufacture, package, label and distribute MY product if I wanted to outsource. Having it outsourced did not make it any less MY product. It would have just been a more cost effective way to produce and distribute MY product. These companies already have most of the base ingredients that they purchase in HUGE quantities (quantities I could never afford to do) which brings the bottom line cost of production down. They are producing for a variety of companies using the same base ingredients according to each company specifications. They also have the necessary equipment to manufacture in bulk quantities. Equipment that would be cost prohibitive for a small or start up company to purchase. They also have the space required to mass produce. They are already set up for mass production of the products in the industry they serve. Yet they do not "own" the recipe/formula or the product. They just manufacture it.

Like I said, I do not know these companies or how they manufacture or if they are just private labeling. Just wanted to put this info out there because this is something that was not mentioned in the article.
I've wondered about the huge fad of the crackle and shatter polish myself. For some reason it's being presented like something new and it's been around for years and then all of a sudden CND decided to launch it and it's 'new'.... :roll: . The Asian supply house I use in Houston has had that stuff for YEARS. I never bought it, probably never will. I haven't had one client ask me about it. Does this make CND an imposter?? More like opportunistic, I'd say. Kinda like Minx taking the time and money to patent the idea of shrink wrapping nails. If you got the bucks you can play the game....
I don't know if this means anything, but of that list Geleration is the only one that advertises having patents pending. (Shellac and Gelish do also)
Having been a product tester for a few different manufacturers, I know very well that some products may come from the same lab. It's callled private labelling. By the same token, several manufacturers have their own labs.

I'm not sure I would agree with the use of the word 'imposter' or more importantly why he feels it's an issue. Go to any supermarket and how many different brands of white bread will you find on the shelf? Are they all imposters? Who manufactures the original? It is well known that alot of store brands come from the same factory as the more well-known product, for a fraction of the price.

There is nothing wrong with competition, unless that competition violates a patent, and then it is in the business's right to protect their investment. I know that Gelish has a 'patent pending', not sure about the others, so this may play out down the road, but in the interim there is nothing to stop any company from putting its own offering out there. It's just the way the world works.
WOW his column is titled words of wisdom? This guy isn't very wise - he has listed P2 by Light Elegance saying they are imposters he has no clue to what he is saying and had he done a little research he would have found out they do manufacture their own products. Jim McConnell is a chemist and has a lab with a very large manufacturing facility. I have personally been there several times. So hey Larry Gaynor if your ever in Oregon call LE headquarters and set up a personal tour I'm sure they would love to educate you ! Otherwise you need to look before you leap and get your facts straight. Oh and how dumb is he really? asking for photos of raw inventory material- like any manufacturer would reveal actual pictures of there secret ingredients. All of this from the founder of NAILCO,yup that's right he not only can't get his facts right he bashed the companies that he carries and sells to YOU.Maybe you all should boycot NAILCO
Good point about the bread. I remember when certain brands of eggs had salmonella, and they were like "It's not us it's the place we get the eggs from." Then the egg people were like "It's not us it's the place we get the chickens from." Confusedhock: That was a little scary.
JOJOBEAN :
> WOW his column is titled words of wisdom? This guy isn't very wise - he has
> listed P2 by Light Elegance saying they are imposters he has no clue to what
> he is saying and had he done a little research he would have found out they
> do manufacture their own products. Jim McConnell is a chemist and has a lab
> with a very large manufacturing facility. I have personally been there several
> times. So hey Larry Gaynor if your ever in Oregon call LE headquarters and
> set up a personal tour I'm sure they would love to educate you ! Otherwise
> you need to look before you leap and get your facts straight. Oh and how dumb
> is he really? asking for photos of raw inventory material- like any manufacturer
> would reveal actual pictures of there secret ingredients. All of this from
> the founder of NAILCO,yup that's right he not only can't get his facts right
> he bashed the companies that he carries and sells to YOU.Maybe you all should
> boycot NAILCO

That's my thoughts exactly, I was sure out of all of them LE "for sure" is their own manufacturer. I hate these types of Articles, must be nice to see now this dude is pushing his own Company's stuff. I surely won't be buying anything from NAILCO tyvm. He's his own "imposter", acting all concerned when he has a hidden Agenda.

Pffttyyy!!
The whole tone of his blog left a bad taste in my mouth.

sobeit

I have often wondered who makes what and then sends it out for private labels. I believe NSI also sends out for labeling from other companies. I just don't know who.
*Wow* I have been buying from TNG (Industry Source) since 1998. I think I am going to stop that! I can imagine a CEO being foolish, but he just puts it out there doesn't he? Here is why I think he's a fool for putting out that article:

1. TNG carries many lines he would call imposters. If he has such a problem with it, he sure doesn't have a problem with the income it brings in.

2. He ends the article asking why. Well, ask your$elf (see #1).

3. He calls Gelavish unoriginal, then he says Honey and Milk Body Butter is a knock off of Cuccio Milk and Honey Body Butter. Excuse me? You are defending Cuccio Milk and Honey? Why didn't you criticize the Milk and Honey name for being unoriginal? Milk and Honey has been used for thousands (yes, thousands, not even hundreds) of years for cosmetic and therapeutic purposes. It seems Cuccio is the unoriginal one. Or maybe only Cuccio can make milk and honey products (take THAT ancient Egyptians).

This guy just came off as a moron to me. I can't believe he is CEO of a company I have purchased from for 13 years... purchasing "imposters" from, no less.
-Footie :

>
> 3. He calls Gelavish unoriginal, then he says Honey and Milk Body Butter is
> a knock off of Cuccio Milk and Honey Body Butter. Excuse me? You are defending
> Cuccio Milk and Honey? Why didn't you criticize the Milk and Honey name for
> being -unoriginal? Milk and Honey has been used for thousands (yes, thousands,
> not even hundreds) of years for cosmetic and therapeutic purposes. It seems
> Cuccio is the unoriginal one. Or maybe only Cuccio can make milk and honey
> products (take THAT ancient Egyptians).
>

I thought that part was funny. I think his point was when one company comes up with something that becomes very successful and well known others want to jump on the bandwagon, but I like competition. I think calling them impostors was uncalled for. It's not like it only happens in the nail biz.