BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Solvent free gel polish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've noticed the term "solvent-free" in a couple of gel polishes soon to come out.

Luxio - Aksentz
Quote:"The lack of solvent in Luxio helps eliminate problems like excessive drying out, white spots, chipping and thickening in the bottle."

Gella - ENP (EzNails)
Quote:"Gel polish that is pure...gel...polish! Pure Gel Polish is a solvent-free, stable formula with no costly evaporation or wasted product and has no inhalation risks from potentially harmful solvents."

Can this newest batch of gel polishes be considered 3rd generation sog because of their claims?

Does anyone know if Gelish or Artistic Colour Gloss are solvent free?

I'm confused by this, I thought all SOG were the big 3 free or is there something different about them?

Enhance

sobeit

Eco so quick is solvent free and was one of the first if not the first gel polish (polish replacements ) on the market when the craze hit, that was sold as UV cured gel polish, and not colored gel.. I have used it from the start. I have to say that my clients prefer Eco, the like the texture, the wear, and the way I apply it. It has no odor. Gelish says they are gel with pigment, and I like their line as well now that I know how to use the base, BUT it smell like polish, so I am not sure what is in the bottle.
The luxio line sounds exactly like eco so quick. I wanted to say so when they put the ad on here, but I thought that might sound rude, which would not be my intention. Just to say they are similar. Of course Eco will be in bottles soon but I still prefer the jar, except for that darn leak factor. That's another topic though.
So without solvents they are soft gel polish replacements with pigment in them and no nail polish or nail polish ingredients. They wont get thicker, or dry up. I hope I made a little sense out of some of that.

1. Eco so quick and Luxio ( I don't know about others ) Are solvent free, meaning they are gel and pigment. ( no odor either for Eco )
2. Shellac, is Mostly nail polish with gel added.
3. Polish pro is a combination of gel, oligimers ( ?) and solvents.
4. Gelish says they are gel with pigment, ( Its thin like polish and smells like it as well, but that could be the gel ingredients )
5. Gelac, Gelez, Mani Q colors, I have no idea what is in those.

Sobeit - In asking Doug about Shellac he told me that it isn't polish with gel. It has components that are in nail polish combined with gel. So it is not mostly polish with gel in it, but it is still a hybrid because of the combination. Just thought you'd like to know.
This is all starting to make my head hurt.

sobeit

I was just passing on the description that Shellac has used and what I have been told by their competitors, using their Hybrid Marketing term of being Polish and gel. And it is mostly nail polish ingredients with gel added. VS Gel with a little nail polish in it. If Shellac is just gel with some polish/solvent like ingredients, then I think their Hybrid Gel/polish marketing is confusing, and they should be considered the same as Polish Pro by NSI. I don't mean to sound blunt and I am sorry if it comes across as such.

Me neither Peggy. I was just passing on the information that Doug Schoon, who is the chemist for CND, so I would think he would have full knowledge of what is in Shellac, told me. He specifically said it is not more polish than gel or that is what we regard as a polish in it. It has some similar components of polish, which tells me there is a difference. So CND is correct in saying it is a hybrid of both.

I have never seen Shellac make any statement in marketing that it is more polish than gel. They say it is a hybrid of both, which technically it is. How would other manufacturing competitors know what is in another company's products?

I'm not wanting to argue with you about it. I was just pointing out what an industry expert and the chemist with that company has told me about it. I figured you would want to have the correct information.

Maybe we will have to agree to disagree but would you not agree it is important to have the correct information? That is why I asked him about this particular rumor/statement that had been going around about Shellac.

sobeit

Doug said one thing to you, while another company who I also trust says another to me. Could just be semantics or they are using layman's terms with me. I dont know if this person, who I will not name out of respect and arguments sake, knows all about each ingredient in shellac, but I am fairly confident from our conversation that they did their research on it.
Its all good with me if Shellac has a lot of polish, or only some randoms that go into polish, to me its still a Gel with Polish hybrid and Not Gel with pigment in it. The original question was about solvents or lack of in the new lines. Eco so quick and Luxio are Gel with pigment, Gelish says they are Gel with pigment, and Shellac says they are a blend. So Shellac has solvents in it, that can cause thickening and evaporation issues.

Yes, the original question was about solvents. I just didn't want people to continue to hear the rumor that Shellac is made with more polish than gel when that isn't the case.

I guess it is a matter of who you choose to believe. I will accept that what is told to me by the chemist for that specific company that makes the product as factual.

And I am also not wanting to sound blunt, just sharing what I was told which is what this board is about.

All is good and have a great weekend!
So Luxio claims to have the cure for white spots lol lurkers
In answer to the original post, Gelish is not solvent free.

I don't know if my thinking is right or not, but the way I understand it, if a product has solvents in it, those solvents evaporate and the product gets thick. No solvents and the consistency stays the same from the first day you open it until it's empty.

I've used Gelish, ECO, Polish Pro, Gelify, GIA and Shellac. The only one that hasn't gotten thick is ECO, which is a solvent-free gel with pigment. If you take the tops off your SOGs, put them in a dark place overnight and they get thick, they have (or had!) solvents in them.

Another thing, the empty pots I get from TEN are polystyrene. I tried putting Gelish in one and it sorta melted it. The same thing happened with Shellac, PolishPro, GIA and Gelify. I bought some empty pots from TNG that are polypropylene, and the Gelish, Shellac, PolishPro, etc. doesn't affect them. I can put ECO or Gelousy OneStep (which I mix pigments into) in the polystyrene pots and they don't melt.

I'm no chemist, but I was curious enough about the products to take the time to research the chemistry involved.
I'm not sure that just because a product is solvent free means it's gel with pigment ad earlier stated in one of the post... I think this is a term that is used without a universal definition each company seems to use it with a dif definition in mind so I would just take it with a grain of salt...
LCN has the xtame which is a light cured polish that is solvent free and is removed with nonacetone polish remover in 2 minutes and is absolutely amazing because it doesn't dry out the nail at all!!! My clients love it! I actually use Lcn orchid polish remover and all my clients think they are getting a moisturizing treatment while they ate being removed
>>I've noticed the term "solvent-free" in a couple of gel polishes soon to come out.

eco So Quick is Solvent free. It is pure gel with pigments. The difference is that it is a thicker consistency, in a pot and applied with a gel brush. These new rounds of gel polishes that are being advertised now as solvent free are also pure gel with pigment, but are in polish bottles not pots, polish consistency. eco So Quick soaks off in 5 minutes when applied according to directions AND I have never had one single client say "Gee I can do this myself". We will also be coming out with a polish consistency pure gel, but it will bear the Cuccio name, it is not expected for several months though.

>>Luxio - Aksentz
>>Quote:
>>"The lack of solvent in Luxio helps eliminate problems like excessive drying out, white spots, chipping and thickening in the bottle."

>>Gella - ENP (EzNails)
>>Quote:
>>"Gel polish that is pure...gel...polish! Pure Gel Polish is a solvent-free, stable formula with no costly evaporation or wasted product and has no inhalation risks from potentially harmful solvents."

Yes, all this is quite correct, no solvents, no evaporation. The only thing I am not 100% sure on is the "no drying out or white spots". I can tell you that with eco I have not had any clients with drying, curling or white spot issues. Is that directly related to the solvents? I am not a chemist, so I cant really say for sure.

>>Can this newest batch of gel polishes be considered 3rd generation sog because of their claims?

No, I don't think I would consider them a 3rd generation. They are still soak off UV Gel Polishes, just with a different formula.

>>Does anyone know if Gelish or Artistic Colour Gloss are solvent free?

Neither are, as a matter of fact as of right now, except for eco, Luxio and Gelish all have solvents, but there are MANY non-solvent gels that will be appearing on your door steps shortly according to the magazines and my sources!

>>I'm confused by this, I thought all SOG were the big 3 free or is there something different about them?

I belive, and again I am not a chemist, that all those with solvents are 3Free, but the ones that are gel + pigment - solvent-free - are definitely absolutely 3Free.

>>how to use the base, BUT it smell like polish, so I am not sure what is in the bottle.

If it smells like polish, there is solvents in it.

>>5. Gelac, Gelez, Mani Q colors, I have no idea what is in those.

Absolutely these brands all have some kind of solvents in them, you just have to crack open the bottle and smell them. However i.b.d and EZFlow both have advertised pure gem formulas coming soon. Will they stop Gelac & Gelez? I don't know, but I would have to think they will both be phased out.

>In asking Doug about Shellac he told me that it isn't polish with gel. It has components that are in nail polish combined with gel. So it is not mostly polish with gel in it, but it is still a hybrid because of the combination. Just thought you'd like to know.

Solvents are solvents, gel is gel, I don't know why you are arguing about the amount of which are contained in any product. If the product cures in a UV lamp, it is a gel, if it also smells like polish then it contains some % of solvents. It is not really important or pertinent as to the actual percentages of which one or the other is contained within. Many companies WILL take Brand A to their chemist and have them analyze it, so yes, other companies do know exactly what is in there. As well, there are very few companies that actually manufacture in-house. Most contract from a chemical company, of which there are only 2 or 3, maybe 4 in the whole US that has the ability to manufacture these products. Often, they will tell Company B - that X, Y & Z brands all are using this formula base

>>Hybrid Marketing term of being Polish and gel. And it is mostly nail polish ingredients with gel added. VS Gel with a little nail polish in it.

When you mix any 2 types of products or ingredients it can be technically called a hybrid. Even eco, gel + pigment, is a hybrid, just not using any solvents. The dictionary refers to hybrid in terms of "denoting or being a hybrid; of mixed origin"

>>I don't know if my thinking is right or not, but the way I understand it, if a product has solvents in it, those solvents evaporate and the product gets thick. No solvents and the consistency stays the same from the first day you open it until it's empty.

Your thinking is quite correct, solvents evaporate, the product will thicken up to some degree, increasingly so as time goes on because every time you open the bottle, the solvents will evaporate.

>>I've used Gelish, ECO, Polish Pro, Gelify, GIA and Shellac. The only one that hasn't gotten thick is ECO, which is a solvent-free gel with pigment. If you take the tops off your SOGs, put them in a dark place overnight and they get thick, they have (or had!) solvents in them.

Solvents have a distinct odor - like polish. I have smelled many of the bottle brands of UVGP and they (to this point in time) all have some level of solvents. No, eco does not contain any solvents, and will not thicken up, has zero odor - it just is in a pot not a bottle.

>>Another thing, the empty pots I get from TEN are polystyrene. I tried putting Gelish in one and it sorta melted it. The same thing happened with Shellac, PolishPro, GIA and Gelify. I bought some empty pots from TNG that are polypropylene, and the Gelish, Shellac, PolishPro, etc. doesn't affect them. I can put ECO or Gelousy OneStep (which I mix pigments into) in the polystyrene pots and they don't melt.

I would have to assume the melting is from the particular solvents in those products - hence glass bottles not pots.

>>I'm not sure that just because a product is solvent free means it's gel with pigment ad earlier stated in one of the post... I think this is a term that is used without a universal definition each company seems to use it with a dif definition in mind so I would just take it with a grain of salt...

Well, the way I see it, it would have to be solvent free. If it had solvents, it would have an odor. I would also have to assume that gel + pigment can also mean gel + pigment + solvents (or not with solvents). There lies the major point of confusion for us!

>>LCN has the xtame which is a light cured polish that is solvent free and is removed with nonacetone polish remover in 2 minutes and is absolutely amazing because it doesn't dry out the nail at all!!! My clients love it! I actually use Lcn orchid polish remover and all my clients think they are getting a moisturizing treatment while they ate being removed

Haha, now I am getting dizzy with all these brands! I think the industry will be moving over to pure gel + pigment products as we move along and they perfect these polish replacement products.

Hope that helps!

Loraine, I am not arguing about anything and I don't appreciate you stating that I am. I am sharing what I was told. I wasn't talking about what has solvents and what doesn't, which if you had read my post you would see I never brought that up. It was stated on this post that Shellac contains more polish than gel, which is not the case. And because I wanted to know if that was the case when it was rumored after it was released I went to the correct source to find out. I really don't care if it does or not, but the information shared was not accurate. I know you wouldn't want rumors going on about your company's products that aren't accurate. I am not sure why you bring this up since it has nothing to do with a product your company makes and why you care. So let's drop it.

sobeit

I think we are just debating terminology now. While I respect Dougs position, I will never forget being personally reprimanded by him because I call it polish remover in front of my clients, instead of Ethyl Acetate, and being told I should be speaking like an educated nail tech. Soooooooooo. Now here I am and to me it's just wording. Nail polish, or nail polish ingredients? Polish remover or it's ingredients?
In the end of the day, all of them are quality products.....

GELISH is brilliant, shellac is fab, and Eco is wonderful! You all know me as a GELISH girl, but I am not scared of quality products, and they are quality. Smile

It's time to unite again, and love quality products....... Jmho...... Smile

I love them all, and there is a place for all of us! Smile
well yes, Gelish or Artistic Colour has solvents... thier is a new line called Gella that is a non-solvent free and it awsome.
Suzanne :
> In the end of the day, all of them are quality products.....
>
> GELISH is brilliant, shellac is fab, and Eco is wonderful! You all know me
> as a GELISH girl, but I am not scared of quality products, and they are quality.
> Smile
>
> It's time to unite again, and love quality products....... Jmho...... Smile
>
> I love them all, and there is a place for all of us! Smile

i am sure that everyone can purchse this from sallys

sobeit

Quote:nails6 :
> Suzanne :
>> In the end of the day, all of them are quality products.....
>>
>> GELISH is brilliant, shellac is fab, and Eco is wonderful! You all know me
>> as a GELISH girl, but I am not scared of quality products, and they are quality.
>> Smile
>>
>> It's time to unite again, and love quality products....... Jmho...... Smile
>>
>> I love them all, and there is a place for all of us! Smile
>
> i am sure that everyone can purchse this from sallys
Yes, but it's still a quality product, the didn't dilute it or change it, so it was great to begin with and continues to be so. People can buy every line including Gella, online with no problems. Nothing is off limits anymore, so we deal with it.
Lorraine, Mani-Q is a pigmented gel with a polish consistency, just as Eco is - and it doesn't have any more smell than Eco. :roll:
Candice,

I am sorry, I should have stated that I knew Gelez and Gelac both had solvents, as I have them here. I have not had the opportunity to use Mani-Q yet and should have clarified I also did not know if it had solvents or not. Actually I was unaware that Mani-Q did NOT have solvents, thank you for clarifying that for me!
hi,

young nails

mani•Q color in the bottle
has solvents in the gel polish soak off

mani•Q Gel in a jar
has no solvents this is hard gel
@nails6 - Mani-Q gel in a jar is not a hard gel, it's a clear soak off gel. Mani-Q color in the bottle is a pigmented gel, and does not contain polish. I was 99.9% sure of this, but called YN to confirm.