BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Selling press-on nails?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I saw on etsy and also ebay where people are selling handmade press-on nails (I call then 'fake fake nails' :lol: ). Do you think this would be profitable? I can't imagine too many people spending 30+ on something they can't even get a weeks use out of and may not fit properly. I guess you don't have to make them until you get an order so nothing is lost. Does anyone here do this? Do you think this is a good way to make extra income?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/70384849/sil...anese-nail

http://www.etsy.com/listing/63735804/pro...kitty-nail
That would be like selling boxed color to hair clients. WOuld never even dream of doing somthing like that. Im not really sure why people worry so much about other people and just concentrate on your own business.

sobeit

Jimsjadab, I think you should do whatever you love to make money. I do not view these like box color, I view them like any kind of nail polish, or bling, so if you find a box if assorted full cover tips, decorate them and sell them. Heck if you can paint, do designs on them. If you selling them online, their not likely your client anyway. Ya know, dashing diva is a salon that offers all kinds of nail servic AND they also retail full over designer nails ( press on so to speak ) so there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
I don't know anyone who sells anything let alone this type of craft. If you like it or like the idea of it, go for it. Big Grin
Don't take offense Jennie but if you live by your advice of not worrying what others are doing and concentrate on your own business, then maybe you wont care to much if others do this type of art to sell for personal use. I personally like it.
Some people make the Tokyo Nails and sell them as a set for 50-150 here. They call them party nails. Some women want the look but not the wearability.
jennie :
> That would be like selling boxed color to hair clients. WOuld never even dream
> of doing somthing like that. Im not really sure why people worry so much about
> other people and just concentrate on your own business.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant people who would be selling these online. Not in person to clients. I wasn't trying to expose them or worry anybody. Just something I stumbled across on the internet. I would have never of thought of doing that before.
Why not, if a client willing to let you pimp their cell phone will you do it?

their is a saying "if you have the money, then I have the time" as long I have fun doing of course.

Starbuck will sell you just about anything you need to make that cup of coffee like them, anything from the beans to the foaming thingy, so why not sell stuff from your play time.

Idea hmm getting pay to play, thanks for the idea.

sobeit

Exactly my thinking Pham!
sobeit :
> Exactly my thinking Pham!

You're developing a fan club; I also like your way of thinking. Smile
What, what- look what she made with acrylic:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/63977159/hot...v1_other_1

That is incredible.

I don't know if it would be profitable, those nails are way too bling bling for me, but who knows- there is something out there for everyone. She did have a good idea, I have never seen anything like that before.
Wow - she did all that with acrylic! Must have taken her forever, but I'll bet she had a blast doing it.
Erin, JPham has had a fan club on here for awhile now Smile

I love this idea....it would be a great way to express your creativity when you have mostly conservative clients all day. I think some of the prices I saw were too low honestly - that one set with the red hearts and crystals could be priced a lot higher.
Seize the moment!!!! If people are buying them and you can make them, then why not? I'd love to see what you come up with!
Look at this one

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68414724/cre...e-iphone-4

how did she get the icing like that? Amazing!

If I had a daughter I would make her a blinged out light switch cover!
She probably mixed it and piped it thru a small frosting tip. It looks just like cake frosting.

That's fricking amazing, truly amazing. Thanks for sharing. : )
^^^^^ That's what I was thinking but it seems to me like it would get hard too fast. Or self level and not be as sharp. I don't know maybe I'll try it. Maybe you need some type of dental acrylic or mma. hmmm

sobeit

She may have used a mold for polymer clay ( soft rubbery) and popped the icing out after it cured. Just a guess. She is very very talented. It gives me some inspiration to cover my own phone and make a gift for my friends daughter, the light switch idea jimsjadab had.

sobeit

I'm on a boredom roll tonight and my mind is going nuts with ideas. So NOW I need to go get more glass bulbs for halloween, fall and winter ad use acrylic to make it more awesome! Man it's like creative overload.
I know this sounds a bit weird, but look at your walls, that's what I am doing.... You know what's boring, and ugly, VENTS, your air vents in the wall, and on floors...... They are not pretty, can u imagine if they matched your decor? They would look like a feature then...

Just my thoughts. Smile

sobeit

Quote:Suzanne :
> I know this sounds a bit weird, but look at your walls, that's what I am doing.
> ... You know what's boring, and ugly, VENTS, your air vents in the wall, and
> on floors...... They are not pretty, can u imagine if they matched your decor?
> They would look like a feature then...
>
> Just my thoughts. Smile
I wonder what Martha Stewart would do with them? Something sweet I bet.
All of you girls could do way more cool things, that I am sure of!
Maybe mma. I've got some less expensive clear and pink leftover from school I can afford to mess around with. : ) And then again, there's an asian nail supply store nearby that sells mma liquid and very cheap powders...hmm....

sobeit

Dont go breathing that poison or touching it :cry: just find some cheaper acrylic at Sallys then. And show us what you come up with!
erindoesnails :
> Maybe mma. I've got some less expensive clear and pink leftover from school
> I can afford to mess around with. : ) And then again, there's an asian nail
> supply store nearby that sells mma liquid and very cheap powders...hmm....

What's is the name of that Asian Supply House Erin?

Before you drop any name make sure the label or someone from the place tell you that it's MMA because you don't know who is reading this and they can come after you for making false claim.
If it's cheap like you say then buy a small bottle and send it in to you state board and let them test it.

Let's get back to the subject.
you're only as you as your products, cheaper products may not give you the working time to create what you vision and just end up frustrated and quit.

she may not getting what she should be getting but getting pay to play and someone is enjoying what you created is better than just practice and then throw them in the trash.
As long as the uncured mma is not touching the skin or nail plate, it should be safe.I would try it if I could do something like that to a cellphone case.
No offense friends, but I would never mention names, I'm smarter than that.

And for factuality, there's several small supply stores in the area.

And yes, I've label-read and checked out what's in their lines that they sell.

The one thing I don't care to be involved in is an inquisition or a libel-suit.

They pay to play, they get caught, kaboom, that's *their* issue, not mine.

It started with a question to myself "why is this 1/4th the price of the other stuff" and then I read labels.

Regardless-

I would only use that stuff privately to make art with, never on a client.

Wearing gloves, working outside on my patio.

If it weren't for them, and everyone else, I'd be at a loss and having to drive to downtown L.A. for my nail supplies.

I wish them luck.

8)
Pages: 1 2