BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Question for renters...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, so we all know how expensive it is to collect & keep in stock a good variety of gel polish colors right? Well, I was considering supplying the gel polish to my renters but adding a color fee for each use. That way everybody shares the colors, no borrowing or running out of colors etc.

What do you all think? good idea or bad? And how much to charge per use?

Does anybody have any idea approximately how many color applications are in a gel polish bottle ( like Luxio, Gelish, Colour Gloss?)
Gina Silvestro :
> Ok, so we all know how expensive it is to collect & keep in stock a good
> variety of gel polish colors right? Well, I was considering supplying the gel
> polish to my renters but adding a color fee for each use. That way everybody
> shares the colors, no borrowing or running out of colors etc.
>
> What do you all think? good idea or bad? And how much to charge per use?
>
>
> Does anybody have any idea approximately how many color applications are in
> a gel polish bottle ( like Luxio, Gelish, Colour Gloss?)

Hi Gina!

I think it's a good idea. I think I would go with $3.50 per use (or whatever 10% of your service charge would be)

With Gelish the Foundation (Base Coat) has enough for 60 full sets, and Top it Off has enough for 40-50 full sets. The colors are approximately 25-30 2-coat applications per bottle.

I know plenty of hair salons with a booth rental set up where the staff pools together for color supplies, so this will definitely work!

sobeit

I also think it's a great idea. I rent now and it's hard to keep up with the cost. What a generous idea you have. I would be willing to pay slighty more than the cost per service breakdown, for the convenience of having it in stock and you never know what kind of waste goes on providing it, so to charge a few cents more than cost, would mean you don't go in the hole supplying it. It's certainly not cheap. I only say slightly more because someone may need to use 3 coats of color vs another using 2 coats, making the bottle not get as many services. I don't know if that even made sense.
Hmm this is an interesting idea. I am a renter and I supply 100% of my own products. I work with 2 other techs. I am the only one that has every shellac color. People book with me because I have every color and they only have half. It gives me the edge. But its a good idea. I agree with stacking on a small fee.
I did this at the last salon I worked at since I was the only one who had gel polish at the time, so I charged them a small fee to use my product. It worked out very well.

I was thinking though, not sure how many renters you have, but what if each of them purchased their own base and top coat, but used your colors? I was just thinking how fast they might go through the base and top if everyone is using it, compared to how often you would have to purchase colors, since most salons have quite a variety. Just a thought.
awesome idea, win win for all.

bigger selection and not forget that products do have a shelve life so the faster you turn over the fresher you stock will be.

what ever you come up with make sure you charge enough to cover for lost in accidental spill and breakage too.

I'm just wondering how you plan on keeping track of what they use and how much? Seems like a hassle to me. One good thing about having booth renters is the bookeeping aspect is easy, they pay rent........period. Just something to consider.

The companies you are interested should be able to tell you how many sets of nails you can get from their products.
Just putting my two cents in... this can get difficult as someone is always in the "owe" column... and when you need to place an order so that you don't run out of YOUR favorites.... you don't have enough money. But they'll "pay you later, they just don't have it right now".
They do this where I work but all they use is Shellac. Not my favorite and we all know there are other gel polishes out there that come in a bigger bottle for less money. How do you figure out the product charge for a gel polish service???
This is the perfect solution for you as the owner.

Lets do so math:

Suppose you charge a minimum fee of $3.50 per client. If the tech does 35 clients a week, the additional charge is $122.50. Multiply this by four weeks and the tech is now paying an additional $490 a month on top of her monthly rent.

You have two renters, this amounts to an additional $980 a month before expenses for the gel polishes you have to replace. Aslo not every color will need to be replaced each month. We know when you purchase your supplies in volume you get a further discount not usually passed on to the renter.

How is this a win win situation for both of you?

Just imagine, without that addititonal $490 in service charges - the renter could buy a hugh collection of gel polish, don't you think!

At this point, my only concern as a renter would be what do I (securely) store my collection of gel polish in. Other than that, I would opt out of paying an additional service charge to the owner to use her supplies.

Enhnace

enhanced :
> This is the perfect solution for you as the owner.
>
> Lets do so math:
>
> Suppose you charge a minimum fee of $3.50 per client. If the tech does 35 clients
> a week, the additional charge is $122.50. Multiply this by four weeks and the
> tech is now paying an additional $490 a month on top of her monthly rent.
>
> You have two renters, this amounts to an additional $980 a month before expenses
> for the gel polishes you have to replace. Aslo not every color will need to
> be replaced each month. We know when you purchase your supplies in volume
> you get a further discount not usually passed on to the renter.
>
> How is this a win win situation for both of you?
>
> Just imagine, without that addititonal $490 in service charges - the renter
> could buy a hugh collection of gel polish, don't you think!
>
> At this point, my only concern as a renter would be what do I (securely) store
> my collection of gel polish in. Other than that, I would opt out of
> paying an additional service charge to the owner to use her supplies.
>
> Enhnace

I wouldn't either, plus as a booth renter I want to use what products I want to use, not what the owner dictates to me, plus charge me for it. Cost wise it isn't worth it.
Gina the pots are .25oz get approximately 15 clients - so about $1 a client. The new Luxio line is .5oz and some colors easily can go on in 1 coat. You will get a minimum of 25 applications,with the cost being $19.95 it will be less than $1 a client... add $.50 for base and top gloss and your maximum cost is $2.00 per client.