BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: new at gels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been in the nail industry for 10 yrs & just started playing with gels. im using IBD gels. having a problem w seal breaking on the tip of the nail separating the tip from the overlay & stuff gets in between..frustrating!! ive tried using just a 240 file on the ends to finish up but still have this problem & also i have a lot of tanners..is there a gel sealer out there that will NOT yellow?!
I'm not familiar with IBD gels - are you using a tackless sealer by any chance? I think those tend to yellow. If you use a sealer that has an inhibition layer (one you have to wipe off) they seem to stay brighter.

As far as the separation happening, when I used to use white tips with gel, I would get that happening too. Are you using white tips? I solved it by making sure I buffed the shine off the tips well, primed the tips, then applied the gel and made sure they were thick enough. I also made sure my nails weren't too flexible either. Actually, once I learned to sculpt, that whole issue went away Smile
thanks for your help..yes it is a tackless sealer..ill try the other & see if it helps..and yes i am using white tips lol! i havent learned to sculpt yet..always used tips. but i am hoping to learn soon>>thanks again!
nailfreak35 :
> thanks for your help..yes it is a tackless sealer..ill try the other &
> see if it helps..and yes i am using white tips lol! i havent learned to sculpt yet..always used tips. but i am hoping to learn soon>>thanks again!

Glad to have been able to help Smile
I never did get IBD to stick to white tips, I only sculpt now.
I've had IBD used on me also with tips and it didn't stay well either.
Traditional (hard), Soak Off (OPI Axxium or Akzentz Options for instance) and some UV Gel Polish MUST have the free edge capped and not filed after curing. This helps prevent the separation of the free edge from the enhancement. You will find some clients have a more prevalent issue with this than others. I would like to believe it is due to their different and varied day to day activities and how they treat their nails. A good regimen of oil will also help. One of the other reasons for the separation is the natural nail underneath just wants to curl more than the enhancement, by capping the free edge you encase the nail plate and it should almost stop it completely. For those clients I would also ask them to not file their own nails in-between appointment's to help no have separation.