BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Tough decision
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some of you on here know me. I am a very hard worker. I love what I do, but I suffer from stress, fatigue, fibromyalgia and depression. I currently lease my own building and do just nails. I had an esthetician and a massage therapist, I was trying to help them build a clientel, by letting their rent be free services for me and helping me clean the salon. They did not appreciate my sacrifice, they would not be there if they didn't have anybody, etc.... I've been there now 2 and a half years. I have paid all the bills all by myself. If I leave this place and go rent somewhere else, my savings would be anywhere from $200-$300 a month. The place I would want to lease from has a very large private room. I had planned moving my shop to my house and work out of it temporarily while I saved money to have a building built on my property. I'd save about $700-$800 a month by doing this. The only draw back is my clients love my location now, It is easy to get to, and parking is good, and it is easy to get out of, its not on a very busy street. I stay booked up. I rarely have openings for walk ins or call ins. Moving it to my house that is 10 miles away from my shop now, I would lose some clients so my income would drop. But there is not a nail salon in this small town where I live, and some of my clients live here too, and drive to see me where I am, and some of the ones who live where I work said they would drive to see me at my house, but some won't. I have an in with a very busy hair stylist in my town who would send me clients. And I have clients who work at the schools and will put flyers in the teachers boxes, etc... Do you think the economy is good enough to have to partially rebuild if I moved home? I understand in the state of Texas you cannot have a salon inside your house, but it would be temporary,like probably only three months.
So do I stay where I am, and continue to pay all the bills by myself. go up on my prices to help, and try to hold out for a good renter to rent space too
Go to this other salon where I'd be saving $2-$300 a month, or move it home where Id be saving around $800 a month and save so I can have my own building, and also where I'd have to rebuild.
I know the rent where I am now is going up 10% when he brings me a new lease to sign, which he has failed to do. My lease was up in May, and I haven't signed a new one, so I am month to month currently.
So, if I understand it right, saving $800/mo for a few months would give you enough $$ to build something on your property? You must have a lot already saved up?? If that is the case, I would probably move into your home for that short duration because it would give your clients a chance to get used to your new location. I am not one to advise something illegal though and I would be very nervous about having another tech in the area tell on me. They do that over here at least. If you rented at the other place with the large space, you'd be legal but your clients would have to move and then move again... :? .

So, my first choice is stay where you are and put ALL efforts into finding a renter for awhile until you CAN save the $$ to build on your property. Second choice is IF you're comfortable with it, move home. Last choice would be to rent the other space because of the confusion for your clients. HTH!!
Joyce, you CAN have a salon in your home but it needs to meet certain requirements. First, you need to be able to close it off from the rest of the home. It must have a working bathroom/sink area. No carpet on the floor, and it's got to be inspected, of course.

I converted the end bedroom of a mobile home into a shop. I had a door put in on the end for client access. The bathroom was located next to it with direct access from the room. I put sliding door locks on the home side of both the bathroom and bed room door so that they were unable to be opened from the 'shop' side while I was open for business. When I had a client, I would latch the two doors, and let myself into the shop from the outside door.

If it's going to take only a few months to get things going at the other location, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of renovating a spot in your home. If it were me, I'd probably go with moving into the other salon. Less hassle....the savings will be smaller but not having the stress of having to remodel your home will be worth it....imo.
Joyce... personally I wouldn't move home if it isn't legal.
The price you could possibly pay is higher than it is worth.
I completely understand your dilemma as I have had quite a number of " lessons" re: renters in my days.
If I were in your situation...I would opt to rent from the closer location while building up from what may possibly be lost in the transition.
Bottom line for me would come down to stress and peace of mind.
So...lower rent...build client base back up...bank some money...get your own place closer to home...
Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> If it's going to take only a few months to get things going at the other location,
> I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of renovating a spot in your home. If
> it were me, I'd probably go with moving into the other salon. Less hassle.
> ...the savings will be smaller but not having the stress of having to remodel
> your home will be worth it....imo.

ITA with this. Good luck!
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to stay where I am, and try to lease that room. Big Grin