BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Nail lifting from nail bed after using cnd shellac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had 2 clients that had lifting of the nail bed on acrylic & had to ask them what they did when they where at home & what activities they did at home & one thing on both clients stuck out, they both have rose bushes & cut them with out gloves on. Told them if they didn't start wearing gloves that this was always going to be an issue & you know what one client said she had it happen to her 2 years ago around the same time & thought it was her nail tech so she came to me thinking it wouldn't happen again. She told me she would wear the gloves & it has been a year now & no lifting. Both of my clients wear their gloves while gardening & they haven't had any issues since. Thorns play havoc on nails even if you don't have enhansments on them... =]
In reference to what Doug says, I know I've had clients who've come to me from places where they routinely remove the acrylic nails by clipping the ends and prying the acylics off the nails using a tip slid under the acyrlic. I've seen seperation start on literally all ten nails going deeper on one side which was the side the nail was lifted on. Doing this over and over again, every 8 weeks really makes the nails thin and unable to withstand the pressure applied when lifting the acrylics off.

I can understand how this would work on agressive removal of sog, but I'm guess the same doesn't apply on the toe nails. I've filed the gel off since it was hard gel, could that cause seperation also?
I've been reading all these threads and I also have a few clients that have had this cloudy white areas on their nails that are probably lifting, which i've attributed to allergic reaction to the gel. I'm very careful about removal and being gentle with the natural nail. 90% of clients are fine, but why are there a few that have this, and its not all from the same gel, as I use many different ones. In fact I have changed one client from OPI Axxium soak off to CND Shellac and is fine since that change, whereas before the axxium caused lifting. There there is one client that seems to have problems with the Shellac! I make sure I use quality Philips bulbs in my tunnel lamps and always make sure I'm using proper nail care. I do think that the white dots seem to be from dehydration, and pushing clients to use their oil seems to help. This is all very curious, and makes me think that the soak off process may have something to do with it, in conjunction with the gel makeup. Although I'm sure there are enough people that can't wear acrylics also for the very same reason. I also find it frustrating that everyone doesn't have the same "staying power" with gel, why some women can go weeks without chips or problems and others chip consistently.....but I know some are harder on their nails also. I feel like hormones play a big part because any clients i have over 65 NEVER have problems with chipping, allergy, etc. Their hormones have all levelled out. Who knows??[/code]
For those of you that this happened to or had a client that had the nail lift from the nail bed. What happened??? Did it grow out? How did they treat the nails? Did they ever use a gel polish or any polish while it was growing out? This is actually starting to happen on a couple of other nails not as bad. My Shellac has been off a little over 2 weeks and have nothing on my nails. I'm treating them with teatree oil which seems to be drying the tips of my fingertips like crazy. I am also using cnd solar oil several times a day. I do have a doctors appointment in one more week.
Thanks!
Hi,
If you're interested in learning more about why these "cloudy white" area appear on the natural nail, you're in luck. This is the subject of the 10th episode of Doug Schoon's Brain which opens today and will remain open for 10 days before closing June 21st and not to reopen until Sept.

Click on this link, take a short 2 minute survey and you can see this latest episode, as well as the previous nine episodes. Here is the link to this episode of Doug Schoon's Brain: http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22CGP8A3HWD/

I can tell you these spots have nothing to do with "hormones". Also, nail plates can't have "allergic reactions". Only living skin is capable of having an allergic reaction. Nail plates are not living and don't have an immune system, so allergy of the nail plate is not possible.

Also, I noticed tlcapp64 that you complain the UV gels you use don't have "staying power", yet you also state that you are using a tunnel lamp with high quality Philips bulbs. I suspect this is your problem. The highest quality bulbs will not reach their maximum potential if used in the wrong lamp. The lamp's electronics which drive the bulb are just as important as the bulb itself. If they aren't in proper balance, you won't get the correct amount of UV delivered to the nail. Even the shape of the lamp and position of the bulbs play a role, so it's no surprise that the wrong lamp/bulb combo will cause problems.

In general, whenever anyone is having problems with UV gel product performance, one of the first things to consider is if you are using the UV lamp designed for the product of your choice. If not, then you can't expect to get the best performance out of your UV gels.

I hope you enjoy this episode of Doug Schoon's Brain!
doug -

thank you very much for chiming in on this subject. this is exacty what i was thinking the problem to be.

i, for one, appreciate all of the research you so for us Smile

thanks
denise
Hi Denise,

Thanks. You can all return the favor and help with my research! The Doug Schoon's Brain series is educational, but it's real purpose is to gather information about our industry. You get free eductation, and I turn the tables and get to pick YOUR brains! I love it!

I hope you all check out this episode and encourage your clients and friends to as well. I love nail tech feedback, but I need more client input so please encourage everyone who is interested in their nails to check out the following link:

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22CGP8A3HWD/

before Doug Schoon's Brain closes, June 21st.
Hi Jdtc,
I'd nix the tea tree oil. Short term overexposure can dry and irritate the skin and long term over exposure can lead to allergy.
doug -

i have helped with most of the studies Smile love them!!

denise
Thanks Doug for your responses. The lamp I am using is a tunnel lamp as I stated and I'm using the bulbs that are sold with the lamp, is this what you mean? I didn't purchase them separately, but I also know that they are high quality bulbs. I just wanted to make sure that is what you mean when you said that could be my problem, that the bulbs don't go with the lamp?

Thanks alot for your help again.
Hi Tlcapp64,
Since I obviously don't know what you are using, I was only making a suggestion as to the source of your issues. If you're using the bulbs that came with the lamp, that's a great start. However, if that lamp was not designed for use with the product of your choice, this could also be a problem.

As I explained before, if it very important to use the UV lamp that was designed for the product that you prefer to use. Generic UV lamps or just using the wrong lamp causes tremendous amounts of issues in this industry ranging from allergic reactions to service breakdown.

sobeit

Doug, I sure wish I had access to these videos when I was the manicure coarse instructor. It puts the text book in simpler, better, visual terms. Thank you!
I agree Sobeit,
That's why the Doug Schoon's Brain series will shortly be released on DVD.

Check it out: http://www.schoonscientific.com/purchase-books-dvd.html

sobeit

Doug, I was so thrilled today when I got to use the information from your video lessons when talking to a client about the importance of the right kind of oil. I use jojoba oil for my massage and cuticle drops. They were happy to hear the science behind why they should use it.
I have a question if you don't mind and I don't know anyplace but here to ask you, can the nail be filed so much that it will not un-shine? I had a new client come in from another state, I went to buff her out growth for acrylic prep, but I could not remove the shine, and I did not want to be aggressive so I just used acetone to remove shine, it didn't work. What may be going on?
Yikes, I just noticed this on one of my clients last week. This is only her 3rd application of Shellac. She was al ong time acrylic wearer before. I do use the shellace with the CND lamp... although I did read Doug's post, I thought I would advise anyway. I haven't noticed anyone else with this problem and honestly the remover and prep work is pretty minimally invasive. Is there something to resolve this problem. Now I'm a bit concerned.
Jdct :
> Just weird how it happened so quickly.
> I doubt an allergic reaction would take 8 months to develop.
> Thank you for your reply!

Actually an allergic reaction could take MANY months or even years to develop and how its ugly head. once allergic always allergic unfortunately
Hi,
I've never heard of a nail plate that won't lose its shine when filed. I'm intrigued. Can you tell me more about this?

Also, Debbie is correct. Allergic reactions to nail products typically occur after many repeated exposures and can take months, even year to develop. Weeks or days is not likely unless there was a pre-existing allergy to the product, e.g. a new client became allergic before come to your salon.
sobeit :

"...can the nail be filed so much that it will not un-shine? I had a new client come in from another state, I went to buff her out growth for acrylic prep, but I could not remove the shine, and I did not want to be aggressive so I just used acetone to remove shine, it didn't work. What may be going on?"

Most of the times when this occurs it can be due to the client moisturizing prior to coming in for their appointment (they think they're helping us, and hiding that they haven't really been oiling). Typically if you have the clients wash their hands prior to the service you will be able to effectively prep the natural nail. What grit of file/buffer are you using for prep?
@sobeit are you out there?
Hi,
After thinking about this a bit, my guess is that you aren't fully removing the coating and instead, are leaving a thin layer behind, e.g. base coat. This remaining thin layer could be what's causing the "shine".

If that's the case, then the solution is to take the proper time to allow for complete and careful removal. A large majority of problems seen with these types of products are related to improper removal.
We use CND's Soak Off pads and the OPI Expert Touch Remover, this remover has conditioners in it and keeps the nail from drying out. We have had good results and our clients love it.

sobeit

This client has acrylic and buffing the out growt/ natural nail where there is no product and no base coats of any kind. I used my medium grit sanding band on the acrylic and a my curette followed by white buffer block for cuticle and then shine removal. Which works on all my own clients. All clients wash their hands before sitting with me. Does that mean she took the proper wash steps? Who knows. The nail just would not get chalky or dull. Again it was the outgrowth of an acrylic wearer. I haven't seen it since, or before that. Very interesting, if I see her again I will take pics during the appt so you can see what I am talking about.
Pages: 1 2