BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: OK Ladies and Gents, opinions please?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just took a job in a salon 2 days a week. When I took the job I was never told I can only do acrylic services on Sat because some of the other girls don't want to smell it.... So that leaves me with on day to do acrylic services. I'm am paid commission only and I also pay a product charge for every service I do except for acrylic and gel services. What do you all think of this and what would you do?
But you have to smell perm solution and that funky straightner stuff...yuk! In my very honest opinion, Acrylic smells like money to me. Some liquids do have more odor and I am talking about regular liquids, not odorless. I myself hate odorless products. Nailite has a product called Stink Out that is supposed to eliminate the odor.
What I would do is probably not what most would do- I would sit with the owner and explain that this messes with my money. If no agreement could be found, I would look for another place and be sure that this problem didn't come up again. When I found a compatable place, I would give notice. If they didn't like it.....oh well. ( I didn't post my original thought. Has to do with an old Johnny Paycheck song.)
OR do gels one day and acrylic on Saturday. You can eventually get your schedule to work with appointments. Doesn't help walk-in business- people want what they want when they want it.
Good luck.

sobeit

I agree with TN Nail Lady on this. I would not allow anyone to mess with my paycheck while the stylists get to use friggen perm solution, nasty lighteners, and stinky colors, no no no way!
Agree with the other two posters - and this continues to stereotype the nail professional as the least important person in the salon. The owner's thinking is outdated, and she is discounting your contributions to the salon. Don't allow yourself to be discounted. If you can't resolve this, find another place that will allow you to flourish using all of your skills and talents Smile
That perm smell is just as bad as the acrylic smell. So I'd ask why one and not the other. It's nuts.
You might want to try the Valentino. I don't do acrylic but I love it for the dust! For those who do acrylic, the filter is carbon backed and reduces smell immensely. I've been selling it just a short time but it gets rave reviews from acrylic users due to the smell. It might remove it enough to make the salon happy. The last salon I worked in had the same request for the other nail girl since she used acrylic. After I came there with odor free product they decided they were probably going to ask her go switch or find a new salon. I said the same thing about perms, but realistically they did maybe 1 perm a month at most. Tricky business. But I think the Valentino could really help!

sobeit

No offense but I think its a crock of sh!t that we have to change products to odor free or bring in more air purifiers to appease everyone one else in the salon. Perms may be done less often, but color is done daily! And I dont see them having to bend over backward to keep the odor less offensive to us nail techs. Do you have any idea how rude it is to ask a nail tech to switch product lines that we invest in to give the best service? The salon should comply with the regulations of the state and have proper VENTILATION installed instead of loading up on purifiers and complaints.
How about staff stop wearing perfume too becuase that is offensive on an hourly basis! It's acrylic, it's what we do, and give me a break but just becuase you CAN smell it doesn't make it unhealthy and just because you CAN'T doesnt make it just fine for us. It's called, get over it, it's the salon business. Those who ask for techs not to use acrylic, or whine that it smells so bad, boo hoo, and want us to only work on acrylic clients once a week, need to realize how incredibly BAD that makes the client feel. Make the client self conscious and uncomfortable whydoncha?
There I said it.
Surprisingly, Peggy, I agree with you and your intense opinion!
sobeit :
> No offense but I think its a crock of sh!t that we have to change products
> to odor free or bring in more air purifiers to appease everyone one else in
> the salon. Perms may be done less often, but color is done daily! And I dont
> see them having to bend over backward to keep the odor less offensive to us
> nail techs. Do you have any idea how rude it is to ask a nail tech to switch
> product lines that we invest in to give the best service? The salon should
> comply with the regulations of the state and have proper VENTILATION installed
> instead of loading up on purifiers and complaints.
> How about staff stop wearing perfume too becuase that is offensive on an hourly
> basis! It's acrylic, it's what we do, and give me a break but just becuase
> you CAN smell it doesn't make it unhealthy and just because you CAN'T doesnt
> make it just fine for us. It's called, get over it, it's the salon business.
> Those who ask for techs not to use acrylic, or whine that it smells so bad,
> boo hoo, and want us to only work on acrylic clients once a week, need to
> realize how incredibly BAD that makes the client feel. Make the client self
> conscious and uncomfortable whydoncha?
> There I said it.

Sing it, sister! <3
Peggy I'm not saying it's right, But as always it comes down to the salon owner- they are the boss. Earlier this year I got my own place because I didn't like the changes at the salon. In the end the salon owner gets the final word- and since most salon owners are hair stylists they can't imagine the smell of hair color being an issue, just like you don't mind the smell of acrylic. Debate and try to get your way, but in the end if it's not the arrangement you made going into the salon and you don't want to do it the salon owners way and they arent negotiating, it might be time to go.
tricia :
> I just took a job in a salon 2 days a week. When I took the job I was never
> told I can only do acrylic services on Sat because some of the other girls
> don't want to smell it.... So that leaves me with on day to do acrylic services.
> I'm am paid commission only and I also pay a product charge for every service
> I do except for acrylic and gel services. What do you all think of this and
> what would you do?

Some of the other girls? As in hair stylists? :roll:

This is why I hate working with hair stylists. Sure, I've worked with some awesome ones, but then there are those that think they are better because they've been trained in "all aspects" (which really means 1 week in nails and 1 week in so called facials), that get into your stuff and leave things out of order, all the while complaining they think someone was at their station (oh, the crime), then making a stink about the smell of acrylic, yet coloring and perming and stinking up the place with fumes and hairspray. Gimme a break.

I wouldn't even want to work there. I'd leave. Of course, you can plead your case to the owner or change product lines, but I'd save myself the trouble. Unless you really enjoy it there, or need to stay for some other reason, find a place that respects you.

sobeit

I am not really asking that anyone agree with me this time or any time. I just say what I feel because that's who I am. And my comment also wasn't directed at anyone, it was a general statement of how distasteful it is to treat nail techs that way, to expect that we should be changing everything we use, and to make us and our clients worried that we are doing or choosing something wrong.

I can emphathize with those who don't like the monomer smell. I think it is very offensive and overpowering and is a lot stronger than any perm smell (and now days not too many do perms). Plus if you continue to use the monomer hour after hour all through the day it is longer lasting than any other smell hair stylists use IMO. ALL my clients comment and love the fact they can come in and it doesn't stink.

The one thing I am wondering is why the poster is getting paid commission and then on top of that paying a product charge? Is this not double charging. How much commission are you getting paid?

Why wasn't this disclosed prior to starting and was it in the contract?? I think it is more of an issue that it wasn't discussed upfront. My landlord dictated it to me, so I have to pass it on to anyone who works in my shop........NO ODOR!! Do you do gel?? Might be a better option for you so you can do it any time.

It is really up to you as to whether this is something you can live with or deal with. Like I said before I think it should have been disclosed to you prior to starting. Owner was probably afraid you wouldn't work there if she let you know before starting. Might have to sit down and have a talk with the owner.
When I booth rented before, there was some initial question about the smell - I made it clear that I wasn't going to limit my income by not doing acrylics, and the owner agreed. Right after I started the owner took me aside and said that some of the girls complained about the smell. I told her that I understood completely if some people don't like the smell, and that if it wasn't going to work out there for me to don nails, let me know right away (I still had my old shop) and no hard feelings. We all have to decide what services we want to offer and then find the right setting to do those services in. :wink:

That being said, at the time I used the Sunflower II along with TOTW's air purifier, and I have since switched to the Salon Pure Air, which I love. I don't mind the smell of products, but I don't want it to be overwhelming for sure!
CandiceAE :

>
> That being said, at the time I used the Sunflower II along with TOTW's air
> purifier, and I have since switched to the Salon Pure Air, which I love. I
> don't mind the smell of products, but I don't want it to be overwhelming for
> sure!

I purchased an air purifier after my massage therapist complained she was getting a headache. I would just turn it on before she came in, and asked her how it was working. Much better, she told me. Air purifiers have a wonderful placebo effect too :lol:
This is why I hate working with hair stylists. Sure, I've worked with some awesome ones, but then there are those that think they are better because they've been trained in "all aspects" (which really means 1 week in nails and 1 week in so called facials), that get into your stuff and leave things out of order, all the while complaining they think someone was at their station (oh, the crime), then making a stink about the smell of acrylic, yet coloring and perming and stinking up the place with fumes and hairspray. Gimme a break.

Footie,
This is exactly why I have to lock my stuff away, I left it unlocked at one time thinking I haven't had anything stolen, when a "little" birdie(a cosmo's child) told me that another co-worker took some colored tips out of my stuff! She was a cosmo, who didn't want to pay for her own, and used mine, thinking I would never find out!
And yes, God forbid someone else "mess" up her station, but in the Pedi/Mani area, who gives a S___ about it?! I don't use acrylic because we are a wellness spa, and I prefer gels myself, but that doesn't give the person the right to tell you not to do acrylic, when they do perms & color treatments...
I used to use acrylic with proper ventilation to the outside of the building in my salon and switched to gels when I moved to a day spa when they said no to acrylic which was okay. I do not like strong acrylic smells but it was fine with the vent, without it would not of been a option for me. I went to my insurance agent's office in a strip mall a couple weeks ago and it reeked of acrylic. I asked him why does it smell so strong of acrylic in here and it was because of a salon next door. It was ridiculous the amount of fumes that came in their office, I would of complained to the owner of the building. Both perms and acrylic should be vented outside in my opinion from the odor source. There are a lot of people who may be customers wanting manicures or pedicures or hair cuts that are sensitive to smells and may avoid a salon that reeks of fumes. JMO