BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Can a tech make this much?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all just have a question more like a poll. I am getting started again after several years out of the salon. I was never full time so didn't make a lot. I am hearing from so many nay-sayers that most people cannot earn a good living doing nails. Do you think it's common for someone to make like $2500/mo take home??
I don't know that it's common, I think the median before taxes is something rediculously low, like 22k/year! But it can be done, just make sure that your price structure is such that you yield a good hourly rate, do the add-ons, and sell retail - then once established I would think a good tech should be able to take home more than what you mention. Again, I don't believe that's the norm, unfortunately.
A quick calculation - using $50 average per service working on a 50% commission = $25 before taxes.

Average income X # of clients per week X 4.3 (average weeks per month) = Monthly income BEFORE taxes

Example $25 X 30 X 4.3 = $3225

Put in your numbers and see the potential
Yeah, depends upon demographics and what you offer. I firmly stand on what Tammy Taylor says, if you're not making 25-40 an hour for your time and services, you're not making what you're worth; charge accordingly and good luck hunny! <3

sobeit

just curious as to what salon has an average nail service price of 50 per hour? The national average for these 60 min services are closer to these prices. ( not exact since I cannot find my last gold book edition but this is much more realistic give or take a buck) A fill $23, A full set $45 A manicure $22 ( 60 min ) and a pedicure $35. The average of all those average prices are $31.25 divide by a high commission of 50% $15.60 an hour then pretend your booked a full 8 hours a day and that's $124.80 a day ( not including tips but we can't count those )
Your looking at $2496 for the month minus taxes, SS, and so on lets estimate they want 27% for that now the months check is more like $1825. These are estimates based on what the average is for the USA. I cannot say if you will make up the difference in tips, some tips will be high and some will be zero so it's hard to say. Can it be done, of course. Lots of techs, even members here make twice that amount. It's going to depend on so many factors though.
There's a lot to consider when looking to make 30K+ a yr. Your work has to be topnotch, and you need a full book. If you're just getting back into the biz, not sure if you can pull out the full book part. If you're not fully booked, it could mean that you need to do a lot of extra days in the salon picking up any stray client that walks in.
Erika, I just noticed you're in WA! I work in Stanwood (live on Camano Island) and I just started building my business in this area March of last year, and even in this economy I would say YES you can make that much here, but again, only if you structure your pricing right and don't give away all the art and add-ons. Good luck to you

sobeit

Quote:CandiceAE :
and don't give away all the art and add-ons.
Yes! Now if I could only learn that. I have such a hard time not just adding it for free becuase I want them to have it, but they ho hum on the price. Smacks my own forehead?
I'm guilty of that, too.... :oops: I love doing the art but I really don't like adding much on to the price if anything...definitely NOT the way to make the most money you can. Sad
sobeit :
> just curious as to what salon has an average nail service price of 50 per hour?
> The national average for these 60 min services are closer to these prices.
> ( not exact since I cannot find my last gold book edition but this is much
> more realistic give or take a buck) A fill $23, A full set $45 A manicure
> $22 ( 60 min ) and a pedicure $35. The average of all those average prices
> are $31.25 divide by a high commission of 50% $15.60 an hour then pretend your
> booked a full 8 hours a day and that's $124.80 a day ( not including tips but
> we can't count those )
> Your looking at $2496 for the month minus taxes, SS, and so on lets estimate
> they want 27% for that now the months check is more like $1825. These are estimates
> based on what the average is for the USA. I cannot say if you will make up
> the difference in tips, some tips will be high and some will be zero so it's
> hard to say. Can it be done, of course. Lots of techs, even members here make
> twice that amount. It's going to depend on so many factors though.

Koff koff..certain Salons here in Cali?

Posh Life! : P
Absolutely you can make that much and more. You have to take into account deductions for rent if your renting and supplies if your renting, as commissioned tech though you shouldn't be paying your taxes anyway.

Your outside of Portland and I know techs there that are charging good and making good money. The worst thing you can do starting out again is under charge. If your charging $40 for a full set in that area you are FAR under priced. You can not price yourself to compete with discount/NSS salons. You will bring in a clientele and build a clientele then when your full you'll want to raise your prices and it will take many many years to make what your worth because you won't be able to make a $20-30 price jump over night. Its always good to charge more and offer promotions so the people coming in know that eventually the promotion will be gone and they will expect the price increase.

I hope your doing your fundraising! Smile We'll be talking business, promotions and using the internet to fill your book during one of the seminars at the NW Networking event. Hope you have that tip jar out for the event!

sobeit

Um, commissioned techs have taxes taken out of their %, so they do pay taxes. They are just withheld.
And I don't want to burst any bubbles but to everyone, just how many full sets do you techs do? Most clients will be one set and then all fills, or just manicures. I didn't say it couldn't be done and the national average is just that, the average of all participants in the survey of all salons high and low priced. Most salons are not going to get any where near $50 a fill or mani, and if we count on full sets, we will be holding our breath. And how many techs are booked hour upon hour with $50 pedicures.
I was specifically talking to her since her location absolutely can get that kind of income. I live just 2.5hrs away and charge $95 a full set, gel manis are $55 and hard gel fills are $65. There are only a few salons in town that charge near what I do, and I'm not the most expensive. But I'd rather be near the top of the ladder than in the middle or bottom.
But you are right about full sets - they are rare.

sobeit

The original title and question ask "can A tech make this much"
Quote:sobeit :
Can it be done, of course. Lots of techs, even members here make
twice that amount. It's going to depend on so many factors though.
Let me quote myself so we are all clear on what I already said.
Sorry for offending anyone by suggesting that you may be able to average $50 a service. It was an example - if you only average $30 then plug in your numbers - you will have to work more hours - makes sense dsoesn't it :?:
Quote:The worst thing you can do starting out again is under charge. If your charging $40 for a full set in that area you are FAR under priced. You can not price yourself to compete with discount/NSS salons. You will bring in a clientele and build a clientele then when your full you'll want to raise your prices and it will take many many years to make what your worth because you won't be able to make a $20-30 price jump over night. Its always good to charge more and offer promotions so the people coming in know that eventually the promotion will be gone and they will expect the price increase.

True true true!
Do you think getting a position in a high-end salon would help or does it matter? I want to charge slightly above average for the area, but I have a feeling a high-end salon is the only place to find clientele who can afford it. What do you think??
It certainly helps. And one with many hairstylists is better than one with few. You will build much faster in a salon with 15-20 other employees than one with 6 others. High end busy full salon is the best way to get a full book of people that will pay what us nail techs are worth! Smile

Chech NW Stylist. They often have booth rent deals for the Vancouver/Portland area.
Jess in WA :
> I was specifically talking to her since her location absolutely can get that
> kind of income. I live just 2.5hrs away and charge $95 a full set, gel manis
> are $55 and hard gel fills are $65. There are only a few salons in town that
> charge near what I do, and I'm not the most expensive. But I'd rather be near
> the top of the ladder than in the middle or bottom.
> But you are right about full sets - they are rare.

Confusedhock:

I didn't realise the market in Oregon was that nice..interesting.
I wouldnt get to excited about the Porland Metro area market, obviously I dont know how the #'s look in every state, but we are sooo dominated by the chop shops around here, its nearly as much as coffee shops and micro brews.

$95 for a full set? I cant even imagine!!