BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: New (sort of)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After a year of lurking, I thought I ought to register and introduce myself. I am a former nail tech. Former, as in a really long time ago. In fact, we didn't even have that terminology then - we were manicurists and the licensing was very lenient. It was one of the ways I earned my way through college. I am now a dean and university researcher and I have been working through our College of Management with what I think you call NSS salons to bring them up to professional standards - it is part of a grant for business development in low-income areas.

I have spent much of the last year re-learning the trade, but focusing on SOGPs (because I think it is the future of the industry). As a researcher, I've tended to focus on the science of nail care, especially SOG/SOGPs. I've learned a lot lurking on these boards and it has greatly altered my thinking. I am also one of the dreaded DIYers as I do my own Shellac, Gelish, Geleration, ACG, etc. and participate in forums for non-professionals who use these systems.

I do respect that there should be a space for professionals to talk amongst themselves and hope that I have not intruded. I hope that I am welcome here, but understand if my non-professional status makes that difficult and will deactivate my registration.

sobeit

Hey, I think you are very welcome here. Well with me and I know several others. Your a former tech so you have some idea of whats what, and I like to pick the brain of the DIYer so I know from a clients view what they like and why.
Quote: I am now a dean and university researcher and I have been working through our College of Management with what I think you call NSS salons to bring them up to professional standards - it is part of a grant for business development in low-income areas.
This is really great and I hope you keep us in the know with how its working out. It could change the industry drastically services in line so that we don't get such a bad name from shops that really need some forced guidance. It would be nice to have discount salons instead of knowing they are likely NSS, since we have all markets to look at, but to have them working within the regulations and laws would mean we had a better chance and a good name as a whole.
everyone is welcome here.. pro and non pro..
i personally would like to know more about this program you are working with the nss to bring them up to standard..
tell us more how this program is structured and what you guys are doing with them to accomplish this task.. perhaps it could be done elsewhere
kailiek :
> everyone is welcome here.. pro and non pro..
> i personally would like to know more about this program you are working with
> the nss to bring them up to standard..
> tell us more how this program is structured and what you guys are doing with
> them to accomplish this task.. perhaps it could be done elsewhere

I don't think I could call it a "program" as yet. We have a Small Business Advising Center on our campus and I had long watched as different entrepreneurs came in for assistance. A group of (mostly) Vietnamese nail techs approached them for assistance and the Center staff felt quite unprepared to help and asked me to assist.

It's been interesting. I don't speak Vietnamese, so communication is often an issue, but I have been impressed with their commitment to doing better work and providing a better service. I've also been disappointed at how little education they get and how they don't "get" basic issues like sanitation, workplace safety, customer care. It's often as if, if it looks good walking out the door, that's all that matters. I think my group aspires to more though and I hope I can be helpful to them. Only time will tell.

In the meantime, it has reawakened my latent nail tech and I am pleased to be hanging around the periphery of the industry taking it all in.