BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: UV lamps on news again/should we have clients sign waivers??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Colorado Springs, CO had on news today (again) that uv lamps could cause cancer and went as far as saying they produce as much uv as a tanning bed! It was mentioned that although it's rare to get nail bed cancer and that there has not been an incident yet that people need to be aware of the potential danger. So I work alone in my own shop, do gels only and am wondering if we need our clients to sign waivers that they understand there may be risks involved. Does anyone already use these, and if so would they like to share a copy for me to use if needed. I have not been to a tanning salon in years so I don't know if they have people sign something or not.

Would love some input on this.

sobeit

What I would do is go to Doug Schoons site, print out the myth on nail UV lamp dangers, hand it out to clients, have it posted in the salon, and, if the client is still concerned, tell them to use sun screen.
I would speak to your insurer. Gel lamps here have been tested and have been passed as being safe to use on clientele which allows users to be insured hence no need for waivers.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a nail tech funded association to help us fight these issues?
Yeah but where's the fight?
Shoddy journalism just creates fear.
If you're educated about the equipment you use and you can back it up, then there should be no problem.
yes erick..lol.. and everyone is right.. print dougs stuff off

erick by the way.. the local news channels keep taking down my request to correct that when i post the link to dougs pdf .. on facebook.. monday i am faxing to the editors of both the news channels while i have them on the phone
It's not that we're not educated about our equipment...we can certainly back up what we say, those of us that care will provide the information. It's the fear mongering, sensationalistic reporting of the news media that is the problem. When the media is confronted with the correct information, they do NOT even choose to acknowledge it. Of course, correcting them publicly isn't in their best interest so our efforts are ignored. If it kills, or bleeds, it leads....that's the motto of the media and heaven help anyone who tries to present a more informed view with correct information. The public has more access to the news media and with people believing that if it's on the news, it must be gospel, we fight an up hill battle to correct the myths that is put out there.

Erick, yes, it would be nice to have an organization that protected us and spoke for us.....but really now......did FOX news actually say anything about the trash can?? Did they come out and on air correct the information they put out there? NO, I don't believe they did, so basically the effort was a waste of time because NO ONE knew about it but us. That's not helping us. Your idea is a good one, but it obviously didn't reach the people who needed to see it. And before you start in on me, NO, I don't know what to do about it. If you can figure a way to get our message out there, then great, I'll support you but what I saw to begin with did not impress me.
mountainprairie :
> Colorado Springs, CO had on news today (again) that uv lamps could cause cancer
> and went as far as saying they produce as much uv as a tanning bed! It was
> mentioned that although it's rare to get nail bed cancer and that there has
> not been an incident yet that people need to be aware of the potential danger.
> So I work alone in my own shop, do gels only and am wondering if we need
> our clients to sign waivers that they understand there may be risks involved.
> Does anyone already use these, and if so would they like to share a copy
> for me to use if needed. I have not been to a tanning salon in years so I
> don't know if they have people sign something or not.
>
> Would love some input on this.

I think having the client sign a waiver would send the message that you think there is a danger with using UV lamps. As other's suggested I would just be prepared with the facts.

It's really not that hard to explain that UV light is a very wide frequency and the lamps we use to cure nail products are filtered so that we only use the rays that are needed to initiate the product reaction.
So Donna,

A micro loan program is not impressive?
Erick,

At the risk of beating this horse to death, I just want to add my two cents worth.

I'm going to ask one more time: Where is the business plan?

It's all fine and dandy to say "We'll give micro loans!" Or "We'll be supporting this industry against misinformation!" or the other myriad of promises put forth by UFONT. But, HOW were you going to do this? How did you plan to build the membership base so you'd have the revenue to support the actions of the Federation? It's a simple question and I have never received an answer.

Facebook and notices on this message board are generally pretty good ways to get the message out to people who frequently check in, but overall, these avenues represent only a tiny percentage of the nail techs in the US and around the world. Yes, the current membership could probably help get the word out or help encourage others to join. If we believe in something, it's in our best interest to build up and support the cause.

The down side of this is we are limited to only the people we know or only the techs who visit here and on Facebook. Quite honestly, my realm of nail tech friends are the people who come to BT and who are my friends on FB. I know a few around my area, but that's about it. I don't buddy up with any of them. I think I'm pretty much the general nail tech demographic (however, I'd need to do market research to make sure of that) so to rely on us nail techs to get the word out is not the best way to build the base.

If 50 people have been paying an average of $20-25 or so dollars a month for 6 months (I'm estimating here), that's about $1000 or so a month. Granted, that's not a whole lot of money in the grand scheme of things. But, it IS about $6000! Even if you went as low as $4000, it's still ALOT of money to get something started! That would pay for lots of printer paper, ink and postage to contact state boards, nail tech schools, industry suppliers, etc. What happened to the money that was paid into the Federation? I know that you needed to be paid for your time, but we also need to see results of your time. In the immortal words of Jerry McQuire "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!"

Overall, I think the reason why the UFONT didn't gain any steam is because there were lots of promises made but no plan as to how those promises were going to be delivered. You just can't expect the money to just roll in because you made some promises of loans and a little publicity. A business plan would have not only made it clear as to how the organization would have worked, but also how you were going to get the word out and WHY it would have been in the best interest of a nail tech to be a member.

Before you get on me that there WAS a business plan and that you took it down off the website and yadda yadda, I for one have never seen a formal business plan. Did I miss it? It's quite possible that I did. However, I'm a working nail tech who owns my own nail business and a small boutique. I put in more than 60 hours a week plus I have a family, a grandchild and I try to have some time to myself. I don't get on FB or on this message board as regularly as I'd like to. Even if I were here and there often, posts about UFONT can easily get lost. I also don't get to the website, as I'm pretty busy and don't have the time to browse the web often. The one place all of us always check is our email. It's easy to make a group for mass emails regarding information, updates, activities, current events, etc. It should have been an easy click to get the Federation info. Never once did I receive an email from UFONT and I know you have my email address. As a charter member who supported the Federation from the start, I think a little personal communication would have been in order.

Seriously, Erick, you dropped the ball on this one. It should have worked.

Sharon
Oh, and I just thought of something. I was at the Smoky Mountain Nail Tech event. There was LOTS of paper given to me about everything! A simple flyer added to our goodie bags would have been awesome and more techs would have known about UFONT! There were about 200 techs attending. 200 printed pieces of paper would have been an easy, inexpensive way to get the word out. Maybe adding a small nail file with the Federation logo or something that would have reminded them of the benefits would have been financially affordable.

I can think of at least 10 ways to advertise broadly and inexpensively. Maybe you should have taken up the offers of assistance given to you from the 50 members. That's why organizations have board members and committees. Many brainstorms are better than one.
Erick, I think Sharon pretty much answered your question, but NO, a micro loan wasn't enough. We don't need loans, we need someone who'll make the news medias sit up and listen. Are you that person? Did you make them listen?? All we hear about in the media is what the bad places are doing and the problems being caused by them.

Erick, you do have the right idea, you just don't have the backing. It's already been proven that the OTC buying public listens to the bloggers. We found that we've NOT been listening to them and THEY have a huge following of the public ear. In turn, they're being invited to official things put on by nail polish co.'s, some of whom own acrylic lines. With some well put together wording, why can't the nail co.'s and the nail techs work together to explain what's acceptable and what's not in the nail world? If you read the blogs, it's entry after entry telling of the horrors of going to a "professional" nail salon. What we need it to get the word out to the public. It's obvious the news media will be no help in this, so the next step is to get the large co.'s to get on board. If a large co. was to make a statement about the do's and don't's in a nail salon in a fashion magazine, can you just imagine how many people it would reach??? Along with making them look like the good guy for putting it out there!
Okay . . . thanks for the replys. Learned alot, mostly that I have been away from BT too long, missed a few things about the Federation.

I do have all the articles that were printed for my clients to view if they wish. Honestly I've only had about 2 clients even ever ask about it in 7 years. This news report didn't even mention where their info came from. I also heard Dr. Oz in trouble again for stating something that others claiming was false info. That made the news.

Austraila has uv lamps approved as safe. That is awesome, how do we in the US get that approval?
I detest Dr. Oz! He's proven he's just one of the mindless sheep following what his writers put in front of him to say. He does no research and when given the correct information, he ignores it, and doesn't present the other side of the issue. Definitely not someone I'd recommend to get accurate info from..
Having clients sign wavers would not protect you 100% from a lawsuit. But they would be proof of informed consent.

It would be like suing a gas station for giving you lung cancer. You breathed the gas fumes from filling your car up for years and got lung cancer so you sue your local gas station.

If you want to protect yourself it would be better to form a corporation and hire yourself as an employee. Then if someone sued you, your personal assets would probably be protected. But check with a lawyer before you do anything.

Here is a good one: http://www.ktnv.com/news/healthreport/130387353.html

We made somewhere around the $1000 mark. You might be able to do something with $166 bucks a month, but I can't. So I shut it down for lack of interest.

I just pulled up the records so I can give you exact figures instead of estimates.

Total nail tech media coverage: 150,000 est.
Total website hits: 68,390
Total free newsletter subscriptions: 52
Total members: 31
Expired credit cards that did not renew: 12
Should we continue? 1 yes.

What does matter is the above figures tell me there isn't enough interest in the idea. We had less members that I thought we had.

150,000 people exposed + 52 sign ups for a free newsletter + 19 paying members = No Interest.

I'm sure anyone else could do better and would encourage you to start today. I will be your first member.

If you want to chat about the merits of the Federation take it back to the other thread.

Sharon, I'm with you on this one, same ole song and dance and nothing difinitive IMO as to what had been done. I have something interesting to share with you if you could send me an e-mail. I think you will find it very enlightening.
We have every client sign a consent form before every service we perform, in the spa where i work part time.
not sure how well consent forms will hold up in court. If their lawyer can prove it was common knowledge that a product was faulty then that proves it's the co.'s fault for endangering a client. Kinda like a not responsible for accidents sign....a judge once told me that you could have those plastered all over your property but if a hazardous condition exists and someone gets hurt, it's on the business to pay because they didn't have a safe situation for the client.

BUT,........I'm not a lawyer, tho. I think it would come down to whose lawyer is the best or who has the most money to pay a really great lawyer.
On the topic, I would love the link to the Doug S. guide/information/facts about the (minimal) uv risk...
One shellac client is having me put sunblock on her hands/arms before the service.... :roll: ridiculous!TIA
It's not only Doug Schoon it was 3 leading industry scientist who actually tested this thoroughly in their labs.

http://www.schoonscientific.com/UV-Nail-Lamp-Facts.pdf
Hello everyone,

Im a Class CA in MO and work at a large Pharmaceutical company as my day job. The OSHA nurse was asking me about the UV lamp articles she has been reading. She suggested we use sunscreeen instead of lotion for the massage. Then do sog or uv gel service after sunscreen is applied. What do you think?
I think....I disagree with your OSHA nurse.
1) it's not necessary
2) I apply any cuticle conditioners or massage creams/lotions after sog application.

If I was inclined and so worried about the uv exposure regardless of the science supporting it otherwise, then I would use gloves with finger tips cut off to expose the nail to be cured.

JMHO...
Thats what i suggested to her also I told her any type of barrier fabric would work, but she was worried about it touching the nails. She said whe would be interested in purchasing some form of barrier to take with her to the salon. Do you think any type of gloves would work? should i tell her to take our safety gloves and cut them lol.
LOL...yep, she should take Kevlar gloves so her nails, fingers, hands don't get crispy and shrivel up like the feet of a witch that had a house fall on her.
Right lol. Ill tell her to take the hazmat gloves in with her next time lol She goes to NSS salon anyway maybe it will scare them and they will have to try to explain the UV lamp pros and cons to her in English.
Pages: 1 2