BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: gel nails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I do gel nails I currently use nail basix gel dont know how good it is it is what I was taught with.I was wondering do any of you after the builder gel do you clean the tacky layer off and then file and shape then put your second layer on?I was taught that way but I see that most people dont I have some issues with lifting too and was wondering if maybe I am doing something wrong?Also I want to know what is a good gel to use that is durable for everyone.I would appreciate any help!!!
not familiar with that particular gel line but the common way of doing gels is to build the nail til you're happy with it, then cure, cleanse, file, and seal.

If I understood you correctly, you're putting on the builder, curing, cleansing, filing, then adding more....builder?....what are you adding next?
When I have students that are new to Pink and White gel sculpting I do recommend that they cleanse, file and shape the extension before applying pink and white gel. This makes the application of the P/W product go more smoothly and there is less risk of shadowing. But your goal should be to sculpt the clear tip smoothly and tight enough to the NN so you can go straight into the rest of the application.

But for Tip and Overlay, One-color sculpting or NN overlay, I don't see the need for this extra step. But it shouldn't hurt anything.

Hope this helps.
what I do is rough up the nail surface and push back the cuticle then I clean any dust off then I put pink builder on cure it then wipe off the tacky stuff then file and shape then I clean off the dust and put a coat of clear gel on then cure wipe off the tacky stuff then polish and then put top coat gel over the polish and cure
kbunny35 :
> what I do is rough up the nail surface and push back the cuticle then I clean
> any dust off then I put pink builder on cure it then wipe off the tacky stuff
> then file and shape then I clean off the dust and put a coat of clear gel
> on then cure wipe off the tacky stuff then polish and then put top coat gel
> over the polish and cure

Well, I personally don't like to put hard gel on top of polish, but plenty do, so I don't see anything wrong with your steps.

You mentioned lifting, and I noticed you don't list any use of dehydrator or primer. Leaving those out could cause lifting.

One tip I have for getting any gel to adhere is to scrub a thin layer of gel into the nail bed (we used to call this the bonding layer) and cure, before applying the builder gel.

Hope this helps
If you're going to polish your French look on, you only need to finish file the builder layer to the smooth finish you want. You don't need to add another layer of gel before applying the polish.