BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Gel pedi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was interested in offering pedi with gel polish. My question(s) - with fingers I do a dry mani with gel. Is it ok to use gel on toes after doing a complete pedi?
I always do the toes first, before the rest of the pedi. I know some do it after and have no issues, but I prefer to do the gel polish or rockstar toes first - that way the client can't change her mind and just ask for polish instead Smile
Interesting. You would still trim and file etc the toes, put the gel on and then have them soak and continue with the pedi?
Yes - do all the gel work first, then soak, callus work, massage, etc. I really find it goes faster this way as well. Plus if I've done Rockstar Toes and have a bunch of glitter on their skin, it all comes off in the wash Wink
Wow very helpful...I was about t ask the same thing if you should soak feet before or after the gel polish!
Some people do soak first, but I have always done the soak after. They say the wet nails don't really matter if you dehydrate first before you apply product, but I personally don't want to take that chance. Try it both ways and see which one you prefer, or works better for you Smile

sobeit

Im just curious as to why put the gel polish on the toes, when for me, my clients come in every 6 weeks and I have to remove their traditional polish anyway. It lasts the 6 weeks. In my experiences, using the gel polish wouldn't extend their pedicure life, and soaking it off takes longer. Just wondering.
I do full gel pedis on myself because I dance and my toe polish always chips and/or wears off. Plus I often have bits of my toe nails missing from shoes, exercise, clumsiness etc. and it's easy to sculpt and hide with gel even if the nail is cracked in three pieces. Smile
I too do all nail maintenance and gel polishing (Shellac) before soaking and proceeding with the rest of the pedicure.

I only do a handful of Shellac pedis, because like sobeit said, polish typically stays on my clients well. My regulars who have Shellac pedis done have ridiculously slow growing toenails, like, they come back to me in two months and their toenails look perfect, but the rest of their feet need work, and they're tired of the color. I also do Shellac pedis on clients who want their toes dry instantly, those who have crazy workout patterns and really abuse their feet, or those going on a long vacation or honeymoon and want to make sure not to have to worry about their polish.
We also do our gel work before the actual 'pedicure' part of the service.

Works very well and to echo another poster, it does make it go by much faster and I think because in the case of rockstar toes, it cleans up all the glitter and the finished product looks better.

Plus I don't worry about the nail being wet and then covering it with gel.
Sobeit I am of the same opinion regarding polish lasting on the toes, but clients want what they want, and if we've Shellac'd their fingers they want their toes to match. Mostly I do Rockstar Toes, with a lot of glitter and those can't really be duplicated with polish. Plus, I charge more for gel on toes so I guess that's really the bottom line, isn't it. I'm in business to make a living.
Ok, there are 2 reasons why I do SOG on the toes.
$$$$$$$$$$$ I make extra money and get a larger tip.
There is no drying time. They can put their shoes and socks right on and leave. In the winter less pedicures becuase their feet get cold in sandals.
I don't enjoy doing the SOG because it is more time consuming.
Yes, my pedicures also last way too many weeks with nail polish. The reason I say toooo long is because it stays on so well that they wait tooo long to have another pedicure.
If I add up all the extra money that I charge for the SOG at the end of the month I am happy. I do whatever I need to do to bring in more money.
I just wish that I could be quicker with the SOG.
I don't do that many right now but lets see what happens in a few weeks with the colder weather arriving.

sobeit

I was only asking. Not saying you guys shouldn't do it. I see the appeal to winter pedicures. And that is a great advertisement for the SOGP tootsies. I may change my mind about using it. I have it as a $10 add on to the fingers with removal included, would $15 be to much for the toes. They are just harder to do.
sobeit :
> I was only asking. Not saying you guys shouldn't do it. I see the appeal to
> winter pedicures. And that is a great advertisement for the SOGP tootsies.
> I may change my mind about using it. I have it as a $10 add on to the fingers
> with removal included, would $15 be to much for the toes. They are just harder to do.

I don't think that's too much extra. How I price mine, is you pay for the gel polish, or Rockstar toes (or Minx for that matter) and you can add a pedi for $20 extra. Really, by the time I'm done with the toes, that 'pedi' is a foot soak, callus work and massage. And yes, toes are more of a PITA to do for sure. I don't ever soak the gel off toes, I always file it off with my efile. Still a pain, so charge more.

SWIBeauty

I did more gel toes this summer than anything else and many of these clients decided to add on a pedi as well, my clients have said they like that they last so well and stay super shiny even after a week at the beachSmile
I do the gel first and finish with the pedi