BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Nail Salon Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I have an opportunity to work in a hair salon where I will be the only nail tech. The salon owner wants to try a different approach by offering mani's and pedi's, color changes nail art, etc while clients are waiting for their hair to process. Wanted to see if anyone had any experience in a setting where you don't actually have a station but you are moving around the salon giving these mini services. Please help!

Thanks Sheryl
I do a lot of pedicures and nails while their hair is processing most of the time they come into my room but I have a folding table that I use, but I have beeing thinking about getting one of those folding nail sation . Most clients feel like they are getting the works when you and the hairdresser are working on them at the same time
Thanks for the advise. Do you offer full mani's and pedi's?
While I don't currently offer services during processing, I have attempted to in the past. Most processes take somewhere around 20 minutes. Even on a good day, I would always take longer than the process time. At the end of the process time, since time was critical, the client was off to the shampoo bowl and I would have to wait till they finished their hair service to finish the nail service. I finally gave up as I was always on the short end of the appointment, usually running into my next client. A simple polish change was doable, but often as they transitioned to the shampoo bowl, they would mess up their polish and I would have to stop and go fix it.

Certainly not necessarily what everyone experiences, but this is what I found. I will do a toe nail clip while processing, but all other services are done in my room with a separate nail appointment.

HTH

Debbie in VA
only nail tech (booth renter) in a busy hair salon (comission)
Debbie,

Thanks for the insight on your expierence. I was concerned about the timing issues that may occur. I guess I will have to try it out to see how it works for me. Are you really busy being the only nail tech in the salon? What services do you offer?

Thanks
Sheryl
Hey Sheryl

For the first time in my career of 14 years, I am so busy that I'm having to set boundaries with my work! I fought this latest move. I HATE moving, especially as I get older. I have moved 3 times in the last 4 years and wasnt at all interested in doing it again. I went to this salon for my massages every other week, and the connection came through my therapist. I just moved in October and it has been one wild ride from the get go. I had the busiest January and February EVER this year. So yes, I am VERY busy. I have been the lone tech in salons for the last 9 years, but always struggled because of no business. I guess what they say is true: Location, Location, LOCATION!

but i digress...I offer manicures, pedicures, acrylics and soak off gels. The majority of my business is natural nails, including soak off gels. I had a partial clientele, but have grown exponentially since coming here last October. Good luck with your endeavor. You will find the balance.

Debbie in VA
I would think it would end in disaster.
I can't see how you could possible perform a mani or pedi in the short time it takes for the hair side of things to process.
A mani and/or pedi are meant to be a semi relaxing service and I think it wold end up being rushed, painted nails smugged etc cause you always run out of time.
I can see the point where the client would feel pampered having everyone working on her at once but in the end I think it would fail and end in unhappy clients.
I reckon it wold either be you or the hair dresser that would always have to be sitting around waiting for the other to finish and I reckon it would more likely be you cause the hair color can't wait or it will turn bright red or something like that.
In theory it sounds like a great idea but in practice I can't see it working, let alone trying to do a full set of gels or something like that.
Good luck with your decision though, I hope the salon owner listens to your views and you come to a good agreement that suits everyone.
Thanks for the input. I have the opportunity to potentially help launch a Nail Department in a really busy, well-located Salon in a posh part of Town. The Salon is very well-reviewed and I would have to initially start out as the only Tech for a couple of days a week while the Owner does a build-in and then a Team would be officially hired for the separate Spa area.

The Owner understands that I'm still in the budding stages and is totally cool that I'd offer primarily natural nail services to start.

I'm nervous but I do think it's doable as long as I focus on not trying to do nails when someone is processing, rather, make it a "stage" of their Day at the Salon (getting hair done, then their nails right after etc.).

So...thanks! Smile
Timing is tricky in several ways. First with the processing time, it has to be a slimmed down version of a mani/pedi. Polish changes & hand/foot massages/scrubs are definitely do-able. The second tricky part is actually coordinating with the stylists schedule. You need to be very mindful of their timing needs, you might need a minute or two to finish, but a minute or two can be an overprocess. And if you are working on the client while they're with the stylist, you need to work around the stylist, and not the other way around.

It's all possible, been done before, just need to get your services and timing down pat with practice.
Got it..cool, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Wink Maybe push to make the nails a separate item like I said above...not done at the same time when certain hair services are being performed.
I was once the only nail tech in a salon of about 14 hair dressers. It is hectic, time is pressed, but eventually you get a system down. It helps to have many multiples of the items you need. Many. The worst part was being treated like a second class employee (hair reigned supreme), the 2nd worst was knowing that I was just a bonus (they were the hair girls clients, not mine. I know, I know, but still that's how it seemed).

The best part? Well, that I got out of there Smile You, however, may love it. The girls and managers may be great, and you may love to keep on your toes. You never know.
i did that in a salon once and i got a used hospital tray table(from the local hospital) to use for all my mani services and it worked great for those under the hair dryer for sure and to put my products on for other things .. its on wheels and raises and lowers and i rolled my nail chair around with it.
I talk to the hairdresser before I start a service so it depends on what they are getting done to their hair . Most color not bleach stops processing so you can do a full service I have a pedicure throne and a nail table in one room I use the folding table for nails only at the dryers. Only work on the hands out side with the hairdresser r working on them . My twin sister is own of the shop and one of the 3 hairdressers i 'm the only nail tech so we work well together we try a work with the client on time but it can be done I like working in my room only work outside per the client request
Thank you everyone! I will be starting at the salon tomorrow and am very nervous as I have always had a station. The input that everyone has put in has made me see the positives and negatives and will help me in adjusting the services to fit the needs of the clients.

Thanks
Sheryl
Footie :
> I was once the only nail tech in a salon of about 14 hair dressers. It is hectic,
> time is pressed, but eventually you get a system down. It helps to have many
> multiples of the items you need. Many. The worst part was being treated like
> a second class employee (hair reigned supreme), the 2nd worst was knowing that
> I was just a bonus (they were the hair girls clients, not mine. I know, I know,
> but still that's how it seemed).
>
> The best part? Well, that I got out of there Smile You, however, may love it.
> The girls and managers may be great, and you may love to keep on your toes.
> You never know.

That's what I'm worried about. This Salon has a Rep for hair and yeah, they're hair clients NOT nail clients. The Owner wants me to do nails in the "hair area" until the "nail area" is built. I'm feeling rather hesitant; I'd like my own "nail area" because it just seems to flow better in my head when I think about it.

I could be wrong...
If I were workng in that situation, I'd want one of these http://www.buffngo.com
can she just not set you up a table in a corner for the clients to come to? my biggest problem with trying to work on a client in a stylist chair is the contant movement. stylists twirl and spin and you have to contantly move with the client. also the leaning to reach the client will kill your back. Alot of sitting in the floor for toes and leaning over for fingers. in my salon the hair and nails are in the same room so when the client needs a speedy service she sits at my table and the sylist will color her at my station. sytlists are used to standing up anyway. cuts you can't do that with but you'd never get a nail service done in that length of time anyway.
it can be done but its a big pain in the butt(back) for you. so be careful what you agree to.