BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Shellac Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Another tech I know can't get her Shellac to stay on. In a couple days it peels off everyone she does. Since I am not familiar with Shellac, I am asking here. Could it be because she removes the tacky layer between each coat she applies? Thanks for the help.
Yep! DO NOT remove tacky layer until the very last layer (top coat ) has cured! Tell her to go to CND website and watch all the videos!
If she purchased the kit - it comes with a handy instruction sheet. Maybe she can download it from cnd.com if she doesn't still have it.

Guest

First of all she needs to make sure she uses either CND's Scrub Fresh or 99% alcohol to cleanse the nail after she had done her filing, etc before applying Shellace. And, NO, you do not wipe off after each layer. As stated before, only wipe off after curing the top coat.
idonls~
Would you say that 99% or scrubfresh works better than acetone?
I DEFINITELY wouldn't use acetone with a soak off gel polish. It could lead to service break down.

Guest

Lunacita :
> idonls~
> Would you say that 99% or scrubfresh works better than acetone?


I've never used acetone for that reason. You know CND says you should use Scrub Fresh? I would agree, as stated, that acetone might break down the product, since it does that when we soak off the product. Not sure it would be good idea to rub acetone into someone nails either on a regular basis.
ScrubFresh is approx half acetone, so not sure why acetone would be a problem since it evaporates so very quickly.

Guest

Nail Raising :
> ScrubFresh is approx half acetone, so not sure why acetone would be a problem
> since it evaporates so very quickly.


May I ask where you got this information? And what is the other half? Not arguing just wanting to know.
I use 100% alcohol with absolutely NO problems at all. Hope this helps!
Carol
idonls :
> Nail Raising :
>> ScrubFresh is approx half acetone, so not sure why acetone would be a problem
>> since it evaporates so very quickly.
>
>
> May I ask where you got this information? And what is the other half? Not
> arguing just wanting to know.


MSDS Sheet
other ingredients are <50%alcohol and <1% butyl acetate


Certainly for removing 'tacky' layer at the end one should never use acetone etc but before hand I wouldn't think it to be a problem.

Guest

I now feel that based on chemicals only 99% alcohol would be better all the way around. I especially would be hesitant to use it directly on their nails to prep and scrubbing it in. But that is just my opinion!

sobeit

I use acetone, or a mix of acetone with alcohol, or scrubfresh or NSI cleanse. I see the same results no matter which one I have available.
....acetone chalks up the nail plate pretty well. Ive had better luck with acetone than plain alcohol. BTW methy ethyl ketone is another word for acetone. We are getting ripped off on nail preps...read the labels. Butyl acetate is nothing but an extra solvent.

Guest

I've had no issues with 99% alcohol. Any with less percentage doesn't work for prep. But for the original post it would niot be a good idea to use acetone to wipe off the sticky layer.

sobeit

Also, something that we can visibly see evaporate from the nail plate, will not be staying on or in the nail to eat product off. It's not going go be there to cause any wearability issues. This is also evident in the fact that we have to soak the nails in pure acetone for no less than 5 min to break it up or dissolve it, so wiping the nail for prep with it isn't enough to do anything but remove oil and contaminants.
I would like to know where you all are getting your alcohol. I have had problems finding 100% or 99% for that matter, so I resorted to getting Everclear...it is 100% and works fine. I just put it in a pump container that is labeled 100% pure alcohol.
@CJWH,

Some state allow the sale of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol in drug stores (or stores that have a pharmacy) and some do not.

I live in a state that does not, but both Kroger pharmacy and Wal Mart pharmacy will order it for you. Just ask at the counter. I think it would be less expensive than buying Everclear.

Also, I'll tell you that I asked at Walgreens and CVS pharmacy if they would order 99% IPA for me and they shook their head and said no. Not sure why, but they gave me that look like I was going to use it to make moonshine or something.
CJWH :
> I would like to know where you all are getting your alcohol. I have had problems
> finding 100% or 99% for that matter, so I resorted to getting Everclear...it
> is 100% and works fine. I just put it in a pump container that is labeled
> 100% pure alcohol.



Everclear? I thought that was drinking alcohol that you find at the liquor store.

Btw i get my 99% at walmart. Correction: I get 91%!
Nail Raising :
> CJWH :
>> I would like to know where you all are getting your alcohol. I have had problems
>> finding 100% or 99% for that matter, so I resorted to getting Everclear...it
>> is 100% and works fine. I just put it in a pump container that is labeled
>> 100% pure alcohol.
>
>
>
> Everclear? I thought that was drinking alcohol that you find at the liquor
> store.
>
> Btw i get my 99% at walmart.

What department is the 99% alcohol in at walmart? I can never find any higher than 90%. I never thought of using everclear lol. I may go to the liquor store and pick up a bottle of cheap grain alcohol.
Nailite, Sally's, Premier all have 99%.
:oops: Didn't read this one too well. I thought she was speaking of using acetone to remove the sticky layer, not for prep. My bad.
Everclear IS liquor, and I used to be able to find 99% alcohol all the time at the drug store however no one has had anything higher than 70% and I know that will not do the trick. That is why I went to the liquor store to purchase Everclear...it is easy to get and they always have it.
CJWH :
> Everclear IS liquor, and I used to be able to find 99% alcohol all the time
> at the drug store however no one has had anything higher than 70% and I know
> that will not do the trick. That is why I went to the liquor store to purchase
> Everclear...it is easy to get and they always have it.




This is hilarious. They are two different alcohols.



Isopropyl alcohol is a propanol, or 3-carbon alcohol with the OH on the middle carbon. It is commonly called rubbing alcohol, and is somewhat poisonous. Doctors use isopropyl alcohol to cleanse/sterilize the skin before hypodermic injection, and it is rubbed on as 'rubbing alcohol'. It can also be used to cool someone by rubbing it on and letting it evaporate.

Ethanol is 2-carbon alcohol, and called grain alcohol because it is usually made by fermentation of grains. You can also ferment other starches, or sugars, to obtain ethanol. It is the name for what people commonly call 'alcohol'.

Methanol is 1-carbon alcohol, and called wood alcohol because it can be extracted when wood is heated to give off gases, including gaseous methanol, which can then be precipitated out as a liquid.

Denatured alcohol is ethanol to which a poison has been added that makes one sick if one drinks the denatured alcohol; oftentimes the poison is a propanol, or formerly methanol. I believe they no longer use methanol because too many people drank denatured alcohol anyway in spite of the denaturing, to get drunk, but also got blind from the methanol.
Pages: 1 2